U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM

2,921 posts, read 2,496,974 times

Advertisements

I hope they can figure this out. Venice enlisting divers to look for beach contamination source | HeraldTribune.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM

192 posts, read 479,141 times
yeah, I was looking forward to hunting for shark's teeth while we're there on vacation soon. Any other beaches as abundant as Venice as far as shark's teeth go?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,831,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
yeah, I was looking forward to hunting for shark's teeth while we're there on vacation soon. Any other beaches as abundant as Venice as far as shark's teeth go?
Funny thing is, Venice touts itself as the "Shark's Tooth Capitol of the World" and I rarely find any teeth out at Venice.

Really a lot depends on the day and finding the perfect shelly areas. Boca Grande is not too bad finding teeth. If you want a find a ton of them take a trip to Little Gasparilla Island. You can only get there by boat. There are lots, and lots out there because it's still relatively untouched. I used to find a ton when I was a kid and it's pretty much the same.

Sometimes I have luck over at South Lido. It's finding beaches that are less traveled

Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,333,253 times
Divers? What are they going to do use nets to fish out the big pieces of poop :smack :

I have a great idea.... make everyone on the island pay to hook up to city sewer...... instant resolution to the fecal problem. And people wonder why I dont swim in the gulf...... 1) its full of sharks 2) its full of poop, TBH, I would prefer to swim just with the sharks.....

Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,176,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post

We find TONS of shark's teeth on Casperson beach. There is a lot of talk of lude behavior there but we go during the day and have never encountered it. Nights are a different story.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,846,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Funny thing is, Venice touts itself as the "Shark's Tooth Capitol of the World" and I rarely find any teeth out at Venice.
Me either! The sand at Venice is replenished, meaning they bring it in. The sand at other beaches is not, so whatever the tides bring in is what you get....which equals more shark teeth, etc!

At Englewood beach, we find handfuls of teeth. LOL, although we usually give them to the tourists!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM

192 posts, read 479,141 times
We'll be on Siesta Key, anything closer to there?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,898,957 times
I always find more sharks teeth on Englewood Beach than I do Venice Beach. You can use a scoop to find them or you can just walk up and down the shore. The areas where you see shells and specks washed up and not just sand, look there. Once you learn how to spot them, the black just pops right out and you can pick them up.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM

453 posts, read 1,671,563 times
Is this issue affecting any other communities north of there? Heading to AMI at the end of the month for a week....

Thanks,

Rhys

Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,985,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Is this issue affecting any other communities north of there? Heading to AMI at the end of the month for a week....

Thanks,

Rhys
its just localized at venice beach. has to do with the amount of houses right there on the island, all on old septics.

i think in jersey they just raised the allowable number on the test. if you survived swimming there you should be fine here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area