U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,412 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I recently took a trip and toured the Sarasota area in hopes to move my family of 5 (3 children). I fell in love with the beauty and lifestyle, however, not sure how child friendly it was. It's so hard to get the vibe in just a few short days. Can anyone give me the inside scoop and offer your opinions as to weather this is a good place where children can thrive..or should I aim my search more towards the tampa area??

Any advice/suggestions good or bad will be appreciated

home search $400-$500k
Good schools a must
Occupation-Teacher
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,492,049 times
Pine View is an attraction
The plethora of retirees and snowbirds a downside
If it was me I would follow both my kids who were educated in Venice and settle in the Tampa area

Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,836,522 times
I live in Sarasota county (North Port) and think it's a great place to raise kids. I was born and raised here and I have three kids who have grown up in the Sarasota area.

My oldest goes to Pine View School, which is the top rated school in FL and one of the top ranked in the Nation. It's a great school but it's not for every kid.

My middle kid went to PV from 2nd-7th grade and now I home school her and my little one.

There are many great schools in the Sarasota county area-Southside, Ashton, Gulf Gate, etc.

There are a ton of things for the kids to do Crew, kayaking, sailing, skimboarding, gymnastics, etc. My oldest is into the art scene, my middle is my most active and likes any kind of outdoor activities and my little one likes gymnastics.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM

192 posts, read 479,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

My middle kid went to PV from 2nd-7th grade and now I home school her and my little one.
Cool, I didn't know you homeschooled. I was wondering how you went to Busch gardens in the middle of the week.
My 17yo daughter has been homeschooled her entire life. Best decision we've ever made, and the reason why we can avoid crazy school vacation crowds and come to Sarasota when ever we like!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,836,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
Cool, I didn't know you homeschooled. I was wondering how you went to Busch gardens in the middle of the week.
My 17yo daughter has been homeschooled her entire life. Best decision we've ever made, and the reason why we can avoid crazy school vacation crowds and come to Sarasota when ever we like!
Yeah I home schooled my oldest in 1st grade and then she went to public school.

This year I pulled my little one out of Toledo Blade in North Port when the teacher told me that she wasn't really concerned if she got her 3rd grade spelling words and she was more concerned with the kid(s) who didn't know their alphabet. She's in 1st grade. At that point I knew she needed something else. I told her that I was concerned if she got her next spelling list and promptly pulled her out of school. Needless to say I don't recommend Toledo Blade Elementary here in North Port.

My middle one was going to Pine View from 1st-7th grades. Last year she began to fall behind in math. This year she was even farther behind in math. In PV you really need to be gifted in all subjects. I gave her the option of being home schooled and she said she wanted to give it a try.

It's been great for all of us. We're involved with the Suncoast Home schoolers and as you can see we're out and about a lot during the week. My middle girl has made huge improvements this year doing online schooling through FLVS, which is just like taking distance learning classes. It also offers online tutoring if she gets stuck on a certain concept. FLVS is taught by public school teachers and they monitor her progress. This gives us the freedom to be able to go to Busch Gardens, Dakin Dairy Farm, Ringling Museum, go skimming at the beach, etc. She can do stuff in the day and do her school work at night or in the late afternoon if she chooses.

My little one is learning two different languages and then we do the usual math, science, reading, social studies, etc. Sometimes on the way to and from different activities I'll have her read me a book or bring another activity along.

My oldest is still at Pine View and is doing very well. That's why I comment that PV is a great school but not a perfect fit for every kid.

All three of my girls are very happy with their schooling situations

Old 04-09-2011, 03:47 PM

477 posts, read 940,051 times
First of all, I will comment on family friendly Sarasota...Moving 4 children from Ohio to Sarasota has been the right decision for our family. Even though we miss our family and friends up north, we look forward to the many visits we get and eventually for some family to move down here soon. This was the very first year EVER (in 18 years of child rearing) that we did not have to make ourselves comfortable at the doctors office all winter. Not once did our children have an illness that required a visit to the doctor. Not one prescription! Last winter in Ohio, we had SIX bottles of antibiotics in the fridge at once. And that is the norm in the winter months for most that I know up north. That alone is enough for me. My children were free to play outdoors all winter long and it was wonderful!

Our children have made the transition so much better than we ever expected. There is so much to do all the time. The sunshine is in abundance, as well as the gorgeous beaches. The schools have been great so far and we had great ranking schools in Ohio that we are used to. As for the older folks......I see that as a wonderful addition to our lives. We're not used to seeing older people so very active! They are walking, swimming, running, doing yard work in 87 degree heat..I only hope to have their stamina at their age!

So, in my opinion, it is a very healthy, child friendly place to be! Take the kids to Island Park for a picnic and enjoy the beauty there....go to the beach any time of day....go to the Farmer's Market and let the kids choose their fruits and veggies all year long, play outdoors all year long...it's kind of a freedom thing.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM

477 posts, read 940,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yeah I home schooled my oldest in 1st grade and then she went to public school.

This year I pulled my little one out of Toledo Blade in North Port when the teacher told me that she wasn't really concerned if she got her 3rd grade spelling words and she was more concerned with the kid(s) who didn't know their alphabet. She's in 1st grade. At that point I knew she needed something else. I told her that I was concerned if she got her next spelling list and promptly pulled her out of school. Needless to say I don't recommend Toledo Blade Elementary here in North Port.

My middle one was going to Pine View from 1st-7th grades. Last year she began to fall behind in math. This year she was even farther behind in math. In PV you really need to be gifted in all subjects. I gave her the option of being home schooled and she said she wanted to give it a try.

It's been great for all of us. We're involved with the Suncoast Home schoolers and as you can see we're out and about a lot during the week. My middle girl has made huge improvements this year doing online schooling through FLVS, which is just like taking distance learning classes. It also offers online tutoring if she gets stuck on a certain concept. FLVS is taught by public school teachers and they monitor her progress. This gives us the freedom to be able to go to Busch Gardens, Dakin Dairy Farm, Ringling Museum, go skimming at the beach, etc. She can do stuff in the day and do her school work at night or in the late afternoon if she chooses.

My little one is learning two different languages and then we do the usual math, science, reading, social studies, etc. Sometimes on the way to and from different activities I'll have her read me a book or bring another activity along.

My oldest is still at Pine View and is doing very well. That's why I comment that PV is a great school but not a perfect fit for every kid.

All three of my girls are very happy with their schooling situations
Oh, and now I have to comment on your wonderful post! Thanks for your input! It has always been a chore for me to send my babies to school. I have almost home schooled them many, many times. Sending them to school has just never, ever been a natural thing for me, even though I've done it for 18 years now...it hasn't gotten easier, it's gotten harder. So, it's nice to know that there is a community to be a part of if we do finally choose to do so.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM

52 posts, read 96,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
First of all, I will comment on family friendly Sarasota...Moving 4 children from Ohio to Sarasota has been the right decision for our family. Even though we miss our family and friends up north, we look forward to the many visits we get and eventually for some family to move down here soon. This was the very first year EVER (in 18 years of child rearing) that we did not have to make ourselves comfortable at the doctors office all winter. Not once did our children have an illness that required a visit to the doctor. Not one prescription! Last winter in Ohio, we had SIX bottles of antibiotics in the fridge at once. And that is the norm in the winter months for most that I know up north. That alone is enough for me. My children were free to play outdoors all winter long and it was wonderful!

Our children have made the transition so much better than we ever expected. There is so much to do all the time. The sunshine is in abundance, as well as the gorgeous beaches. The schools have been great so far and we had great ranking schools in Ohio that we are used to. As for the older folks......I see that as a wonderful addition to our lives. We're not used to seeing older people so very active! They are walking, swimming, running, doing yard work in 87 degree heat..I only hope to have their stamina at their age!

So, in my opinion, it is a very healthy, child friendly place to be! Take the kids to Island Park for a picnic and enjoy the beauty there....go to the beach any time of day....go to the Farmer's Market and let the kids choose their fruits and veggies all year long, play outdoors all year long...it's kind of a freedom thing.
Lovely and inspiring! I'm considering a move to Sarasota and this post adds some weight on that end of the scale . =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area