Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
27 hours a day gee Frank you DO work hard !!!
Haha......I guess I mistyped. I am constantly working...I just pop in here off and on throughout the day and night...I'm really not on this all the time. Currently I'm painting the dining room/living room/hallway in my Florida house......Getting rid of ALL of the God awful light pink a dear old lady from the past had done. In a few weeks it will be back to the NY home to work even harder on that, getting it ready for putting it on the market....

As to Mods, this forum is full of way better Mods then I am....

Frank

Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
I find most of the threads on the Sarasota forum tame, sometimes boring and very repetitive. You know, the monthly 'where's the best pizza'? Should I move to Sarasota, tell me about the area'? 'Where's the best restaurant'? stuff. And if people used the 'search' function, there wouldn't be much new threads to read.
I haven't seen any posts that I find offensive or insulting. Maybe some people are just overly sensitive with things they read.
If there are overly sensitive people on the Sarasota forum, I would suggest that they NEVER visit, post, read anything on the 'politics' forum.
They would need medical attention if they did.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
With all due respect Frank, how on earth is a joke comparing cat lady to batman needing assistance in Gotham a rude post? How is it misconstrued as bullying? I never insulted cat lady, nor can I understand how a joke like that is considered rude. If you are warning me over that, please add a thin skin disclaimer to the TOS. There are a few clocks here that are wound a little too tight .

Cat lady, if my previous post insulted you in anyway shape or form, that was not the intent behind it. Since that is the case please accept my sincere appology, it was simply a joke.

I will assume that someone will take this post out of context as well, if that is the case just have a mod ban me, that way several of you will save a few bucks on your next box of tissues

P.S. You are welcome for finding you a MOD

Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Dear old Man Winter,
One cannot always tell in a written post if the writer was just joking or if they were just adding to some of the more serious problematic posts. With the written word it is more difficult to tell........can't see if a smile is associated with it, tone of voice, etc.....

Just trying to keep things here friendly and helpful. I'm actually a dog person.....it is a testament to my trying to be fair here, since in my personal life I myself am known to crack a cat joke or two.... Funny that many of our closest friends are cat people and they all know that I am not.

Frank

Old 04-14-2011, 01:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
aas for a troll i didnt mean the ugly hairy one that lives under the bridge if that is what she or you thought i was calling her, i meant someone that posts stupid stuff to bait others to respond.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM

192 posts, read 496,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If there are overly sensitive people on the Sarasota forum, I would suggest that they NEVER visit, post, read anything on the 'politics' forum.
They would need medical attention if they did.

I can believe that!

I wouldn't say there are many posts are offensive, or that most people here aren't respectful. I've gotten tons of useful, friendly information from many people. But it seems that often when I try to find honest opinions (and I can't stress opinions enough, here) the people who dare to respond negatively about Sarasota, even if it's reality, get hammered. I've seen people literally made fun of and ganged up on. Which by description is bullying. I've seen it more than once on the year or so I've been here.

I'm really trying to do research here, to make a huge decision, and I know for a fact (someone DM'ed me) that there are people who can't be bothered offering their opinion because they don't feel like putting up with the crap. It bothers me 1) because I hate bullying and 2) it interferes with my ability to get everyone's opinion.

So, if there are no other ideas as to how to curtail the behavior, then I guess I'll just hit away on the "report post" button. Ignoring posters won't help me because my goal would be to make this forum friendly to any and all opinions, and ignoring won't help with that.

PS If you have fallen victim to a troll, shame on you.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM

so now if a moderator does not like the subject ie: open carry then they just shut the whole thread down?

i started the thread as an information item since it will affect all of us and should be of great interest to gun enthusiasts. looks like a personal view got in the way.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 PM

204 posts, read 601,644 times
Forum moderation has been a royal PITB since well before the AOL days (BBSes anyone?)... it's a shame there isn't a standard of icon use, where we consistently express intent through emoticons. So much is lost in the translation from head to words.

There was a study in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology on e-mail that showed only a 50% chance of correctly interpreting the tone of a message. The study went on to find that people believe they have correctly understood the tone 90% of the time.

The Secret Cause of Flame Wars

With a 50/50 chance of understanding intent, it's a miracle we communicate at all.

:dubiou s:: eek:

-HHH

Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
so now if a moderator does not like the subject ie: open carry then they just shut the whole thread down?

i started the thread as an information item since it will affect all of us and should be of great interest to gun enthusiasts. looks like a personal view got in the way.
I would normally just delete this post since it is off topic......but I'll keep it just to make a few points.

1) This thread is not about gun control. Off topic threads are usually deleted to keep a thread coherent.

2) Publicly commenting on a Moderators actions are against the Terms of Service everyone agrees to when joining. It is an infractable offense. That is a warning.

3) I do not know what thread you are referring to, but Moderators do not let personal views get in the way of Modding. Usually controversial issues end up going downhill by other posters until it turns into fights, disrespectful posts, etc. At that point the thread usually gets shut down. That is not the fault of the moderator, but rather rude, disrespectful posters.

4) My freezer is full of venison, and the locked gun cabinet in my home is not empty. I have no problem with open carry.....but even if I did it would not affect Moderating.......(see #3 above)

5) Lastly, if anyone has a problem with any Moderator here on any forum, the proper way to handle it is by a DM, or a DM to a Senior Moderator or an Administrator. Any other way can result in punitive measures.

Frank

Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I would normally just delete this post since it is off topic......but I'll keep it just to make a few points.

1) This thread is not about gun control. Off topic threads are usually deleted to keep a thread coherent.

2) Publicly commenting on a Moderators actions are against the Terms of Service everyone agrees to when joining. It is an infractable offense. That is a warning.

3) I do not know what thread you are referring to, but Moderators do not let personal views get in the way of Modding. Usually controversial issues end up going downhill by other posters until it turns into fights, disrespectful posts, etc. At that point the thread usually gets shut down. That is not the fault of the moderator, but rather rude, disrespectful posters.

4) My freezer is full of venison, and the locked gun cabinet in my home is not empty. I have no problem with open carry.....but even if I did it would not affect Moderating.......(see #3 above)

5) Lastly, if anyone has a problem with any Moderator here on any forum, the proper way to handle it is by a DM, or a DM to a Senior Moderator or an Administrator. Any other way can result in punitive measures.

Frank
it was not you it was nancy the reader. it was the one on open carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area