Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times

Advertisements

Time to close this thread....

Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
SoFLGal, I too thought that was interesting, so did some poking around - you are right. Both are taken in Miami. Although the article doesn't say they are from Sarasota, the fact that they are attached to an article about the murders in Sarasota would certainly make you think they are from there. Not only that, the photograph of the woman on the porch was taken in 1981!!! I can't believe somebody would publish a story using a 30 year-old photograph to depict current neighborhoods in Florida (although in reading about the area, it is probably not looking much better these days).

Here are shortened links to the pics from a stock photo site - if you click on the picture, it will give full information on where the photo was taken:

Man sitting on shopping cart: af9na2 Stock Photos : Images | Alamy

Poor neighborhood: bce04y Stock Photos : Images | Alamy
Wow! That's pretty good detective work! I'm not really sure how you figured that one out. I knew it wasn't in Newtown because I've been there and the street sign in the picture. To me it's just sickening that the UK press would use those. If they don't have any pics of Newtown then don't use any or find some on the AP.

I would say that Newtown is a mix of the homes I posted and the one that Bobs posted. It's not all pretty and grand but it doesn't look like that either. The Carver Ct complex isn't the spiffiest but it's a apartment complex, most aren't too pretty.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Smokin' Joes is more of a "neighborhood" bar on Main Street. Those bartender's know the regulars. They have one pool table. The bar itself is not that huge. I'm sure they've got camera's inside SJ's that were on that night; hopefully the police are reviewing the tapes. You would think that anyone who can be tracked using an ATM or credit card is contacted, any regulars are being questioned, etc....I do not buy they were getting a lift home.
The two young men are on camera, and there are pictures of them at table with some young women. Yet no one has come forward, even though the police have asked anyone who has seen them to come forward.

Very sad no one has spoken up as two attractive guys in their mid 20s from England(who doesn't like the Brits) most likely came in contact with several patrons. Yet no one is talking????

What I find sad it some people seem more concerned about how this will impact their pocketbook than the death of these two young men.

I guess some would prefer to sweep it under the carpet, well too late as it has already made international news.

If Sarasota is smart it will address the issue head on and not try and blame these guys.

Maybe start a program to warn tourists that they are in close proximity to areas that they need to stay out of, and to be aware of who is around you when leaving nightspots.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The two young men are on camera, and there are pictures of them at table with some young women. Yet no one has come forward, even though the police have asked anyone who has seen them to come forward.

Very sad no one has spoken up as two attractive guys in their mid 20s from England(who doesn't like the Brits) most likely came in contact with several patrons. Yet no one is talking????

What I find sad it some people seem more concerned about how this will impact their pocketbook than the death of these two young men.

I guess some would prefer to sweep it under the carpet, well too late as it has already made international news.

If Sarasota is smart it will address the issue head on and not try and blame these guys.

Maybe start a program to warn tourists that they are in close proximity to areas that they need to stay out of, and to be aware of who is around you when leaving nightspots.

How do you know no ones talking? The police aren't really releasing much and are being pretty tight lipped with what they know, if anything.

They just released the video of them at the bar. I'm pretty sure the police have already interviewed the people on the tape. It's not to hard to get credit card receipts and figure out who's on the tape.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
How do you know no ones talking? The police aren't really releasing much and are being pretty tight lipped with what they know, if anything.

They just released the video of them at the bar. I'm pretty sure the police have already interviewed the people on the tape. It's not to hard to get credit card receipts and figure out who's on the tape.

Most of the comments on here are blaming the victims. Maybe someone slipped something in their drinks and they left disoriented.

There is a bar in Naples called the Blue Martini that had a problem with several patrons complaining about feeling ill and light headed and few of them blacked out. It is still under investigation.

And they weren't just pretty young girls who were targeted.

These guys because they were clearly tourists could have been zeroed in on. That is why you never leave a drink unattended in a bar or even turn your back on it.

And not everyone hands over a credit card at a bar, they pay in cash.

Especially if they are there for devious reasons. They don't want a paper trail.

Hopefully this mystery will get solved soon.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Most of the comments on here are blaming the victims. Maybe someone slipped something in their drinks and they left disoriented.

There is a bar in Naples called the Blue Martini that had a problem with several patrons complaining about feeling ill and light headed and few of them blacked out. It is still under investigation.

And they weren't just pretty young girls who were targeted.

These guys because they were clearly tourists could have been zeroed in on. That is why you never leave a drink unattended in a bar or even turn your back on it.

And not everyone hands over a credit card at a bar, they pay in cash.

Especially if they are there for devious reasons. They don't want a paper trail.

Hopefully this mystery will get solved soon.
Yeah true. If I was one of the cops investigating the case I would have gathered up every single receipt payed at that bar that evening and interviewed each person to see if they know anything. I would guess that they might have but don't know.

Judging by what they are/aren't saying at the news conferences I think they have some pieces of the puzzle but not all of them. It seems as though they are still fishing for more info or maybe they are looking for additional people/things to make their case stronger.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Thread closed for mod review.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area