Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times

Advertisements

What an ugly story:

Two Britons shot dead in Florida named

Quote:
James Cooper, 25, and James Kouzaris, 24, both from England, were found dead by police in Sarasota, in the early hours of Saturday morning. A 16-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with both murders. Police said he was known to them and had previously been arrested.
I sure hope Sarasota wasn't banking on tourism to help revive the economy, since this story is getting a lot of international attention.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Captain Paul Sutton, of the Sarasota police, said no motive for the killings had yet been established. from the linked article

This is taken from a different UK newspaper

Police sources said the men died late on Saturday night after what was thought to be a botched robbery as they returned to their hotel.

no mention of any rental car abandoned or shotup in the area in any account I read--no mention of any taxi driver who dropped them off there

so who is walking from that part of Sarasota where the "housing block" is located--Carver Ct and Grove St--close to 3am--to Long Boat Key hotel--

I guess I am suspicious but I can think of couple of senarios for what they were doing there
and I would assume that if they had had large sums of money or carried their own drugs there--then they were stolen and not left with the bodies

Last edited by loves2read; 04-17-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
What an ugly story:

Two Britons shot dead in Florida named

I sure hope Sarasota wasn't banking on tourism to help revive the economy, since this story is getting a lot of international attention.
meh, it's awful that 2 died and that a 16 year old is that messed up but I doubt it will have an effect on tourism. Have you heard about what's been going on back in my old neck of the woods? so many bodies dumped in the dunes along the LI beaches! i know that's getting alot of international press too but i'm sure Fire Island will still be hoppin' this summer! Actually, before I left NY this morning my mom suggested we all plan a family get together on Fire Island this summer...serial killer(s) be damned, i guess!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
meh, it's awful that 2 died and that a 16 year old is that messed up but I doubt it will have an effect on tourism. Have you heard about what's been going on back in my old neck of the woods? so many bodies dumped in the dunes along the LI beaches! i know that's getting alot of international press too but i'm sure Fire Island will still be hoppin' this summer! Actually, before I left NY this morning my mom suggested we all plan a family get together on Fire Island this summer...serial killer(s) be damned, i guess!
The L.I. killer appears to be attacking hookers, not your average soccer mom or tourist. They believe it's a cop or someone who was a cop. A friend of mind lives in that area. He found several of his victims on Craigslist. Sarasota has crime like every other big city. You have to know the areas to avoid... not that crime doesn't happen in the safest areas. Utopia doesn't exist so we all have to be careful.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
my first reaction (dont forget we are Brits who live here and know how safe it is) was -what were they doing THERE and at that time ?

as someone said if you dont want to get burnt dont out your hand in the fire.

i am presuming that part of Sarasota may be 'less desirable' ?

Regretfully the British gutter press will have a field day on the good old America and guns issue without ever looking into the true picture.

a sad day for the famileis and Sarasota

Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
When I read the article, I thought...this has nothing to do with drugs. It's my opinion that those guys were looking to pick someone up, and perhaps they happened to pick up the 16 year old boy and things went haywire.

I mean really, who empties 20 shells unless they were passionate about killing them?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
i presume you mean some female 'company' Col ? did cross my mind too

Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times
BBC News - British men shot dead on holiday in Sarasota, Florida

Old 04-18-2011, 05:40 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
i presume you mean some female 'company' Col ? did cross my mind too
Eh..not female company exactly...more like male. A drug pusher does his shooting on the fly. This 16 year old showed the kind of passion of a scorned lover with 20 empty shell casings.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
Quote:
I mean really, who empties 20 shells unless they were passionate about killing them?
a bad shot?

how many hit is the question.

they had to be up to something to be in that area. we were not here very long before we heard this was an area to avoid. before the brits throw rocks at us, there are plenty of areas to avoid in the "civilized" UK. no matter where you travel there are the badlands. some can sense them, others charge in with no fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area