Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM

19 posts, read 40,899 times

Advertisements

I live very far up north and was wondering what people think about moving to florida? I HATE the long winters (7-8 months of cold here!) Taxes are extremely high and apartments are overpriced. BUT I am worried about the crime rate, high population and too much traffic in Florida. I live in a nice town where I feel safe and I'm hoping to find that in Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions for smaller towns or cities? My son is half Cambodian so I wouldn't want it to be an all white area. I see pictures of a lot of gated communities and condos that look nice but are they really that nice there? I don't want to worry about not being safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
I would suggest North Port, FL.[color=black][font=Verdana] It is a safe area and the crime rate is low. There are nice deed restricted communities such as Lakeside Plantation and Cedar Grove. You can check out crime rates at: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

North Port also has non-deed restricted single family homes at affordable prices. To read more about the City of North Port, FL go to their web site at: North Port, FL : Home

Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove is a comfortable deed restricted family neighborhood with the security of sidewalks and street lights, lush landscaping and plantings, and the added benefit of city water and sewer systems. This community is only a short walk to the new North Port Middle School and the fifth Elementary School in the North Port area. Cedar Grove at the Woodlands also has direct access to Port Charlotte shopping via Haberland Boulevard.

LakesidePlantation
If you are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with lots of room for the children to run, play and ride their bikes, you will find it at Lakeside Plantation in North Port, FL. Commuters love this great community since enjoys the convenience of being in North Port, yet it is close to I-75, with quick access to Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Fort Myers, Tampa and Sarasota and where you will find additional services, entertainment and activities. Lovely Plantation Boulevard bisects the community, enveloped by natural space and lush greenery. Children play on wide neighborhood streets with names like Pecan Drive, Scarlett Avenue and Cottonwood Lane.

Nearby, your family will find many opportunities for exercise and activity – swimming, boating, bicycling, golfing and much more, or you can choose to stay home and play! Lakeside Plantation has its own large, heated community pool, open dawn to dusk daily. The residents of the community also enjoy a club house, a cabana, impressive Har-Tru tennis courts, a library, a meeting room and card room, a playground, a community park, a billiard room, and a fitness facility open 24/7. You can even buy a Lakeside Plantation license plate for your car!

Though Lakeside Plantation is not a golfing community, it is a deed restricted neighborhood with underground utilities, city water and sewer, and wide sidewalks and streetlights for walkers. Lakeside Plantation homeowners association ensures that your lawn is always maintained and neatly trimmed, and the community is beautifully landscaped with indigenous plants and bright flowers. Lakeside Plantation has 649 home sites, many with a lake view. Choose from one-story or two-story homes in a variety of styles. Lakeside Plantation offers 100 carriage homes, 92 villas, 223 town homes and 234 single-family homes.

At Lakeside Plantation, you will find a friendly, kid approved neighborhood, with all the amenities and conveniences of a great Florida resort.

Last edited by Yac; 05-12-2011 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat310 View Post
I live very far up north and was wondering what people think about moving to florida? I HATE the long winters (7-8 months of cold here!) Taxes are extremely high and apartments are overpriced. BUT I am worried about the crime rate, high population and too much traffic in Florida. I live in a nice town where I feel safe and I'm hoping to find that in Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions for smaller towns or cities? My son is half Cambodian so I wouldn't want it to be an all white area. I see pictures of a lot of gated communities and condos that look nice but are they really that nice there? I don't want to worry about not being safe.

cat,
Come down, and take a vacation - check it out. I know that the last thing you will think or worry about is if you are safe. The recent news has been blown way out of scale.
This area is culturally diverse, you and your son will feel comfortable anywhere you go. SWFL is very laid back. My nephews are part Korean, don't coddle them, make them feel comfortable with themselves and feel confident in themselves - you need to do that, then they will themselves. If you treat them like they won't be treated fairly, it can effect them, and give them cause to hold back - let them flourish. My nephews are so confident, smart and out-going, they are extremely well liked and respected among their peers and they make new friends fast - they are gregarious. Your son will flourish here too. I am sure you will help him select good peer groups to grow with, and get him in a great school. Sarasota has some (not all) great school systems.
Where up north are you from? I grew up in WNY, and went to school in Vermont.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Thank you TamRE! I'm looking into Rasmussen college either at Fort Myers or Tampa/Brandon are there any nice communities around those areas? Within like 30 minutes possibly?

Big House I'm not worried about him not feeling comfortable I just wanted him to grow up more around a culturally diverse area. We are from Maine and there is a large Cambodian population here. Which area do you live in? My boyfriend and I are only 21 so we are not by any means rich but we don't want to move unless we find a decent area... it's hard finding an area for college, work and nice neighborhood!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you TamRE! I'm looking into Rasmussen college either at Fort Myers or Tampa/Brandon are there any nice communities around those areas? Within like 30 minutes possibly?

Big House I'm not worried about him not feeling comfortable I just wanted him to grow up more around a culturally diverse area. We are from Maine and there is a large Cambodian population here. Which area do you live in? My boyfriend and I are only 21 so we are not by any means rich but we don't want to move unless we find a decent area... it's hard finding an area for college, work and nice neighborhood!
You will be fine down here. The area has a lot of tourists and visitors from all around the country, and world coming and going, and some staying all the time. You guys are young, and the young are much more accepting to the diversity in ethnicity and cultures than many of the elderly. I would think you'd find more issues in Maine. I don't see much of a Cambodian population here, there are Asians from all over though. The cities you named are larger than Punta Gorda. You are going to like it here, but it is a LOT warmer than Maine, and the flora and fauna are much different. Some areas are very tropical, and some areas are more arid, like Texas. One of the good things about Florida, you don't need to be rich to love it here. You can bike, swim, go to the beach, play tennis, kayak, and you will find the restaurants and bars a little less expensive as well. You will find you'll be out and about a lot down here. The summers are hot though. Jobs are tough to find - even menial jobs.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm worried about finding jobs but hopefully that'll work out. I'm also worried about the heat in the summer time.. is it true people like to stay inside for months with the ac because of the humidity?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I'm worried about finding jobs but hopefully that'll work out. I'm also worried about the heat in the summer time.. is it true people like to stay inside for months with the ac because of the humidity?
It will be warm, but that's what bathing suits are for!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
I moved to Florida from Syracuse, NY. I can tell you that I do not miss the snow one bit. I love being in sunshine and warmth. I do get tired of the heat in the summer and use my pool or stay inside an air-conditioned home. But you can go out for a walk in the morning and evenings without being too hot. I always walk my dog. It is no diffeferent than staying in the heated house in the winter up north. But you really don't feel cooped up like you do with the snow. We get light breezes that make it feel not quite so hot and humid and we get quick rains in the summer too. I am really very happy that I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area