Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,008 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My friends and I are considering a move to Florida and I was hoping we could get a little insight. We're trying to see what area would best suit our needs as far as jobs, nightlife, etc. goes.

All 3 of us are recent college graduates, all around 22-23, and we're looking for an area that would be the most central to the widest variety of jobs. I'm looking more at Sarasota/Bradenton but would also consider St. Petersburg and/or Tampa area. Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion would be where would be best to them; we're still far away from actually moving, earliest would be end of August, so we're just looking for some insight right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,936,168 times
What are your degrees in? What kind of jobs are ya lookin' for? What were you looking to spend on rent?

People will probably be able to give better recommendations knowing this info...

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Criminal Justice, Business, and IT.

I (with the criminal justice degree) have already been looking into jobs in my field and have found a very wide span of job locations, mostly St. Petes and Tampa area, but I wouldn't have a problem commuting if I could find a more central location.

The rent would preferably be between $1000-1500 for a three bedroom apartment, mostly because we would have to start with entry-level jobs in the area and so if it ends up being an area we don't enjoy we have enough to go elsewhere.

Any other info that would help?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck007 View Post
Criminal Justice, Business, and IT.

I (with the criminal justice degree) have already been looking into jobs in my field and have found a very wide span of job locations, mostly St. Petes and Tampa area, but I wouldn't have a problem commuting if I could find a more central location.

The rent would preferably be between $1000-1500 for a three bedroom apartment, mostly because we would have to start with entry-level jobs in the area and so if it ends up being an area we don't enjoy we have enough to go elsewhere.

Any other info that would help?
Well, I worked at the Sarasota Sheriff's Dept for a while, several years back in the early to mid 1990's. It was a decent place to work, I made decent money and the benefits were pretty good. What did you want to do with your degree?

For the IT work, I'd probably suggest the Tampa area. Not that you couldn't find a job in the Sarasota area. I just think you might have more luck in a bigger city like Tampa. The other option with that is to find something you can do remotely. I have a friend who does IT work and he lives in Port Charlotte and works from his home.

Now the business degree...there are many, many options with that type of degree. It suppose it depends on what might interest the person with that degree.

On to housing. It would vary depending on your lifestyle. Are you interested in the party life/bar hopping or do you like more of an outdoor type of thing? If you stick to the Sarasota area you'll probably want to stay closer to the downtown area. Southside village is a good place to start. I wrote a blog on this website about the Southside/Downtown Sarasota area.

Another option would be Gulf Gate or South Gate. Both areas are close to the beaches and shopping areas.

A few places you might want to check out while in town are: The Beach Club on Siesta Key-they have a great reggae band on Sunday nights, The Hub on Siesta, The Daiquiri Deck on Siesta, The Gator Club in downtown Sarasota.

There is a ton of outdoor stuff to do as well-kayaking, biking, tennis, golfing, running, skim boarding, checking out the various parks, beaches, etc.

I suggest checking out both areas and seeing which area you jive best with

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 PM

I'm very open with the options for my degree, I was more interested in policing to begin with but now I'm looking more towards the business side of it - loss prevention, fraud investigation, more along those lines.

I suppose we'd be more interested in where a younger crowd would be - more likely a downtown-type area with a good assortment of nightlife. For the downtown Sarasota area/Southside Village, is our price range within reason, and/or are there any higher-crime areas to avoid living in? The city-data crime index is fairly close to our current area but obviously there are worse parts than others.

I would be OK with commuting to St. Petes (where I've found the highest concentration of jobs) from Sarasota but my friends' biggest concern is the general age of the people around us, where St. Petes seems like it would have a higher population of younger people just by sheer size. Do you feel like there's a specific area that would have a higher concentration of younger people either in Sarasota or the surrounding area?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I'm very open with the options for my degree, I was more interested in policing to begin with but now I'm looking more towards the business side of it - loss prevention, fraud investigation, more along those lines.

I suppose we'd be more interested in where a younger crowd would be - more likely a downtown-type area with a good assortment of nightlife. For the downtown Sarasota area/Southside Village, is our price range within reason, and/or are there any higher-crime areas to avoid living in? The city-data crime index is fairly close to our current area but obviously there are worse parts than others.

I would be OK with commuting to St. Petes (where I've found the highest concentration of jobs) from Sarasota but my friends' biggest concern is the general age of the people around us, where St. Petes seems like it would have a higher population of younger people just by sheer size. Do you feel like there's a specific area that would have a higher concentration of younger people either in Sarasota or the surrounding area?
On the location for you all I would stay south of Main St and west of US 41 until you get down to Bahia Vista St then you can go east or west of US 41. It will be closer to the nightlife and such. It might be a stretch getting a place in Southside in that range but the Gulf Gate and South Gate areas are certainly doable in your range and it's not too far from the "happening" part of town. It just wouldn't be walkable from South Gate or Gulf Gate.

The Beach Club and The Hub would have people your age. There are also many assorted bars up and down Main St. I'm about 15 years older then you guys. Older but still not quite over the hill. I was born and raised here and never really felt out of place. I hung at many of the downtown bars in my younger years and never felt had an issue or felt like I was hanging with a bunch of old fogies.

I can't give a whole lot of advice on the St Pete area since I usually only head up that way for concerts or shopping. Went to the St Pete Times Forum to watch the Lady Gaga concert on Saturday. I wanted to go to Kennedy's (in St Pete) after the concert (that's where the after party was-Gaga, Semi Precious Weapons, etc). I had the kids with me though and had to head home. I heard the place was rockin though.

I know Gypsychic has lived in the St Pete area and now lives in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. She's also a FL native and can probably give a pretty fair assessment of both cities.

Ladywithafan is pretty up on the Sarasota nightlife and what's happening in town. She can probably give some pointers as well.

Both are probably in bed but I'm sure they'll respond tomorrow

You might also want to post your questions on the Tampa forum and see what kind of answers you get.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 AM

17,548 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:

Hi - You would probably enjoy living in St. Pete especially if you are working there. I would recommend living in or near the downtown area or neighborhoods to the NORTH of downtown. St. Pete does have a problem with crime, but it is mostly centered in the neighborhoods just south of downtown. The other advantage of living in St. Pete is that it is a fairly easy drive to Tampa for even more to do.

That said, Sarasota has a very nice, vibrant yet compact downtown, easily walkable with some nice restaurants, cafes and live music and entertainment. The beaches here are also incredible. Still, as I said, if you end up working in St. Pete there is no need to commute over the bridge every day spending tolls and gas.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,969,085 times
as far as jobs all those areas are horrible, among the nations worst. for nightlife, south tampa is ok and downtown st pete is trying. forget sarasota and bradenton entirely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area