Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adding CCV cameras to potential/higher crime areas?
I would favor that and vote for tax to support it. 6 50.00%
I think that is too intrusive. 4 33.33%
While it might be good idea I don't think Sarasota has enough crime to justify it. 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

One thing watching BBCA has shown me is the development in UK of the use of CCV camera systems in London to capture random traffic/pedestrians that then can be used to backtrack crime/law-breaking activities...

Would you be in favor of additional tax (on fines/court costs or even general sales tax in low amount) to fund program to install and monitor CCV cameras in likely crime areas?
Maybe even pass a city ordinance requiring that businesses in areas with high crime install them and keep the video for up to 30 days
these systems do not have to cost lot of money now since they can be done fairly readily using the computer that most businesses have anyway

I know that some people see that as growth of Big Brother and intrusion into private lives--
but frankly cameras are objective in what they report--unlike eye-witness testimony that can be warped by perception/alcohol intake/time delays and other factors
and cameras can be readily available when witnesses may be difficult to come by---

I think part of solving this crime would be made simpler if there had been cameras outside the club that would have shown how the two British guys left the bar since no one has come forward with that info to explain how they got to crime scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area