Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
It's ones constitutional right to carry a side arm in plain view? I wasn't aware of that.
Well, without making this into a 2nd amendment issue, yes it is. The constitution does not have any restriction on how citizens may carry. The laws regarding open carry have been altered from state to state to appease the liberals anti gun agenda. True story

And I wont join you at take aim as I dislike indoor ranges, the 2 of you however may join me at the private range I belong to out east. I also am a fan of the .22 rifle, I have been training for long range shooting with it for a while now. Experiencing good results too I might add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Well, without making this into a 2nd amendment issue, yes it is. The constitution does not have any restriction on how citizens may carry. The laws regarding open carry have been altered from state to state to appease the liberals anti gun agenda. True story

And I wont join you at take aim as I dislike indoor ranges, the 2 of you however may join me at the private range I belong to out east. I also am a fan of the .22 rifle, I have been training for long range shooting with it for a while now. Experiencing good results too I might add
You'll have to let me know where you go shoot the .22. I have one and it is still in its original box, with a new scope, and has been fired at a range only once.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
You'll have to let me know where you go shoot the .22. I have one and it is still in its original box, with a new scope, and has been fired at a range only once.
I belong to a private range in arcadia. I am going to move to the 200 yard range this weekend and check for accuracy. At 100 yards I am sub MOA, 5 shot groups covered with a nickle . I expect they will open a bit when I move to 200 yards, if I can keep them at 1.5 inches I will be very pleased.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post

Well me and heat don't mix, so I will take my butt and my rifle indoors. I've only been to Knights Trail to camp with the scouts, but their range looked decent.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
went to knights trail yesterday. it was warm. hard to get a good grip with sweat. good thing about this time of the year is that it is not crowded. a month ago it was packed. like as in not even a parking place packed.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:46 AM

heres the latest from the nra website

Senate Bill 234, introduced by Senator Greg Evers (R-2),was heard on the state Senate Floor on Wednesday, April 27 and amended to tighten the open carry protection language. Yesterday, SB 234 came up on the Senate Floor for debate and final passage and PASSED the Senate by a 26 to 11 vote and is now on its way to the Florida House where it must go to the floor of the full House.

SB 234 would make two changes to the “Right-to-Carry” law -- also known as the Concealed Weapons Licensing law and it would also conform Florida’s firearms purchase law with federal law. To view the bill as passed the Senate click
here.

The bill basically does three (3) following things:

1. Provides that concealed weapons license holders may NOT be arrested because a firearm being carried concealed accidentally or inadvertently became visible to another person.

2. Provides that concealed weapons license holders may store a firearm in private vehicle anywhere the vehicle is lawfully parked except those places that are exempted under s. 790.251(7) -- the parking lot law.

3. Removes the obsolete firearms purchase in contiguous state law previously required by federal law for out of state purchases of long guns and replaces it with language to conform to current federal requirements that allows purchase of long guns in other states.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM

I have not been following its progress, am I to understand the open carry provision has been removed? Ill have to read it later if I get a minute

Old 04-29-2011, 09:26 AM

yes. will not haappen this year. pansies. lets all sing kumbayah.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
While I support the right to bear arms, I think the open carry can contribute to an atmosphere of violence and can be quite intimidating.

My wife (we live in Montana, but are buying in North Port) tells a story about a meeting she went to in Butte (she is in hospital finance) and several of the doctors were packing side arms in plain view.

(the meeting was in a hospital) Why for??? Butte is not exactly a hotbed of crime. It seems they were playing out their fantasy of being the old time gun slinger, being macho or maybe they were just having fun-but it was very unnerving for many. These were DOCTORS!!

The whole thing seems crazy as heck

Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
While I support the right to bear arms, I think the open carry can contribute to an atmosphere of violence and can be quite intimidating.

My wife (we live in Montana, but are buying in North Port) tells a story about a meeting she went to in Butte (she is in hospital finance) and several of the doctors were packing side arms in plain view.

(the meeting was in a hospital) Why for??? Butte is not exactly a hotbed of crime. It seems they were playing out their fantasy of being the old time gun slinger, being macho or maybe they were just having fun-but it was very unnerving for many. These were DOCTORS!!

The whole thing seems crazy as heck

the way i understand it and why i was behind it was so that accidental exposure doesnt have someone panicking and calling the cops. i know i never had any intentions of open carrying. in fact it is legal for me to open carry while fishing. there are alot of mornings or evenings that i could legally open carry. since some of the places that we fish are not on the beaten path i feel better having my "friend" along. do i want anyone to see that i have a friend, absolutely not. someone comes along and wants to be a jerk well they have a surprise in store. in fact i will back up like i am scared to death and while he thinks he has the upper hand the odds will change in a hurry. if i am standing there with my big old glock 21 .45 caliber in a holster it may discourage some but it also may temp another to sneak up and try to grab it. most of the criminals here are those of opportunity.

on the subject of sb 234, not sure about the wording of the accidental exposure. it is to vague and gives the cop responding the option of saying it was something other than accidental.

what most miss is that its not the legal gunowning citizen to fear. we all stay far above the law so that there is no chance of our guns being confiscated. the guns can be grabbed for as something as simple as a domestic call. i walk away from potential confrontations when i am carrying, even when i know i am right.

after all of this CTC, i can understand what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area