Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 PM

8,265 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in Sarasota for about 2 years now so I don't know a lot about the former Sarasota police chief Peter Abbott. I have read that he came to Sarasota in 2002 and was 'forced out' by city manager Robert Bartolotta because he (Abbott) wasn't responsive enough to the concerns of the minority community in Sarasota. (This would be primarily the residents of the Newtown area). I have read that Abbott was liked by many and a former tough New York City cop. I believe before he left his position in Sarasota he was the man behind the big police crackdown in 2009 of the notorious Second Line gang in Newtown. I am not racist but I have read that some think the new black police chief in Sarasota is too soft on gang thugs - and thus the recent spate of crime in Newtown. However I really would like to see the crime rate in Sarasota in 2002 when Abbott first arrived - compared to when he left in May 2010. Then I would like to see the Sarasota crime rate for the aprox one year the new black police chief has held his post in Sarasota before I make a judgement on it. To those of you that have been here in Sarasota longer than me and were familiar with Chief Abbott - did city manager Robert Bartoletta make a mistake in letting Peter Abbott go? Sarasota chief quits; faulted for failing to make reforms | TBO.com (http://beta2.tbo.com/news/news/2010/may/18/sarasota-police-chief-peter-abbott-abruptly-resign-ar-42250/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area