U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM

386 posts, read 919,286 times

Advertisements

Close is relative to your point of referece IMO. Growing up in Southern NJ we were "car dependent". 20 minutes (across the bridge) from Philly, 40 minutes to "The Shore". So, 15-20 min. to Sarasota and 25-30 min. to AMI beaches is OK with us...

Last edited by Iamrita; 05-02-2011 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 PM

5,636 posts, read 9,203,623 times
The MLS is being serviced at the moment so I can't check for availability but, off the top of my head, I think you might be able to find what you want in your budget but it will probably be a short sale or bank owned. If you drop the need for a pool or bonus room and/or den, it will get easier.

Regarding the communities, Greyhawk is a nice family subdivision and I have never met anyone who did not like living there. However, it is not the same as a master planned community like LWR. I'm not saying that a master planned community is the only way to go (some people don't like that) but, if you want most of the things that go into the "location, location, location" equation at your fingertips, it should be given extra consideration. I don't know Palmer Ranch as well but my sense of it is that it tends to skew a little less 'family' but it may be because I haven't seen as much of the area as I have up this way. If you haven't already checked out Central Park, you should. It is part of LWR and you can definitely build what you want in your price. Cardel Homes is building that size.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM

11 posts, read 33,008 times
Small world IMRITA, we are from Washington Twp (South Jersey) 20 min from philly! We looked at Central Park, but i just wasn't impressed with the playground area.... it's so new that I'm not sure how family focused it will be. I have young twins and we really want an area where we can all grow.... It seems like HH, LWR and GHL are so far out there.... I was looking today at University Park, but it's a little out of our price range, and i'm not sure if it's young or just old golfers.... UGH! It's so hard! We really want something that is a good location and has a lot of kids.... LWR is so big, we drove all through greenbrook, and lots of the neighborhoods feel like the homes are on top of the street... Any suggestions for actual subdivisions in LWR or palmer or wherever are appreciated. I'm just getting very frustrated. it seems like none of these communities even have any kids out playing, a few in GHL, but again, it seems so out in the middle of nowhere... I thought North Port was out there.... LOL Bradenton almost makes NP look like it's jumping! JK

Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM

11 posts, read 33,008 times
I would like to be like 20 min from the beach, but it's not a deal breaker....

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM

152 posts, read 52,590 times
You will be about 10 minutes farther living in GHL than in LWR but I will take GHL any day over LWR. GHL has a guarded gate 24/7 and you get more for your money. Your home will be on a bigger lot, it will be bigger and the fitness is included and is 100% private to the GHL residents.

LWR you have to pay additional to belong to the gym and live on a postage stamp lot unless you are spending over 400K.

LWR recently had a home invasion so it's got it's problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 AM

108 posts, read 213,888 times
I just want to add that I just moved to Greyhawk and love it here although you do have to drive to get to some places. I'm guessing this area will be developed in the future and soon you wont have to drive anymore, even if its a few years out! There are some nearby shopping areas and the privacy for the price cant be beat.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,306,605 times
I looked at Greyhawk and liked it, but it seemed like mostly familes. I was not sure a retired widow like myself would fit in or find it easy to make friends there, as I would be living alone.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM

108 posts, read 213,888 times
There are a lot of older folks around at Greyhawk, I see them out walking their dogs usually alone at times, so its hard to say I guess whether they are married or not.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM

137 posts, read 251,578 times
Do you know what the HOA restrictions are at grey hawk landing for pets?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM

398 posts, read 750,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasota_bound View Post
Hi, we are planning on moving from North Port to one of the listed communities. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
Just curious if you've ever been to Sarasota before? Have you considered renting for a year before buying, we didn't but have heard that is the best way to truly decide which area you want etc etc.

There is no cookie cutter method other than getting down here and hitting the pavement by car or bike.

Good Luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area