Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 76,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
All of the above - You name it, we got it!
I stumbled upon a thread in another place where someone was moving from Sarasota to Jacksonville, and was asking about mosquitoes in Jacksonville, saying that in Sarasota they weren't a big problem.

How would you characterize the mosquito problem in Sarasota? Major? Medium? Minor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrabar View Post
I stumbled upon a thread in another place where someone was moving from Sarasota to Jacksonville, and was asking about mosquitoes in Jacksonville, saying that in Sarasota they weren't a big problem.

How would you characterize the mosquito problem in Sarasota? Major? Medium? Minor?
We have them, but it really depends where you live. I am near the coast, it's not too big a problem for me. But if you are inland on a woody, or swampy lot somewhere, the problem will be much bigger.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,835,169 times
Mosquitoes are one of the most talked about bugs in Florida. Mosquitoes are most prevalent in in the rainy season, June-August. They lay their eggs in standing water of ditches, buckets of water and stagnate water. This area has airplanes that fly over in mosquito season and they spray for them. To cut down on the mosquitoes around your home make sure you eliminate any standing water around your house. There are many sprays, candles and bug zappers you can use to get rid of the pesky bugs.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM

386 posts, read 1,011,609 times
I don't think they're bad at all. Then again, my point of reference is NJ!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,191,147 times
I have been following this thread because we are also considering a move. Coming from NY I know the weather is a major factor..both pro and con. Winters here are difficult, but summers in Florida are also difficult.

We have spent over 30 years visiting family in Sarasota and have spent many summer months there. It is horrible! It is the probably the largest factor keeping us from making a permanent, full-time move. If we could afford it, we would choose to 'snow-bird' and avoid the NY winter and Florida summer.

I feel the heat in Florida lasts longer than the winters in NY. Springtime in NY is beautiful and the weather doesn't really heat up until July. By September the weather cools down. Fall is beautiful.

We just spent a few weeks in Sarasota and it was very hot and buggy. That was April. It only gets worse. I think it is realistic to tell people that your summers are very long and terribly oppressive.

Some people can tolerate the heat, but the reality is gardening is not possible in the heat, even the beach is uncomfortable. The pool water gets hot. By August you can't swim anywhere including your own pool.

I agree with people who have advised to rent for a year. Unless you spend a year, you can't realize what the climate truly is like. People who have lived most of life in Northern climates can find the transition difficult.

If we choose to make the move, we know what we have to deal with living in Florida year round. If we can afford to do it part time, it would be the best decision for us. Right now that doesn't seem to be an option.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,329,966 times
I have to jump in here and just say that yes, it's hot in the summer months, and I do not like oppressive heat, generally.

That said, I play golf as often as possible in the summer months, often 4-5 times a week, and the heat is simply not that bad. In fact, I found it MUCH worse in the DC metro area. Much muggier and more unpleasant.

To each his own, I'm sure.

Shoveling snow off the roof in a storm, horizontal ice and wind slamming me in the face, or tolerating heat while I play golf?

No-brainer for me.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 7,439,664 times
You asked about the bugs. Fire ants are probably one of the worst in the stinging category, especially when you step on a mound and get stung by multiple fire ants. Even one can be nasty, especially if you find out you're allergic to them.

We get roaches that live in the palm trees that can grow up to 3 inches long, or bigger. They usually stick to the outside as long as you don't leave food sitting out in your home or have garbage cans without tight lids.

Love bugs take over twice a year. They don't sting but they arrive in huge numbers and get all over the front of your car. If you don't wash them off within 2 days, the acid in their bodies starts eating your car's paint. Car washes love the long lines during love bug season.

While we're discussing the cons, you hear little about having to do the stingray shuffle along the beach shorelines during stingray mating season. Another one of those once you experience the sting you never want to do that again moments.

No place is perfect, including Florida. That's why I always tell people looking to relocate to rent for a year and experience the good, the bad and the ugly before making the big decision to purchase a home here. Even if you fall totally in love with Florida, once you've lived in the Sarasota area for a year you will have a lot better idea as to which neighborhoods appeal to you and what type of housing you prefer.

Actually, that's a good rule for relocating no matter where you're moving.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM

11 posts, read 23,432 times
Well now it is nice to see that some of the cons are coming out in the conversation. It is not all happy happy here.

Yes, we have lots of bugs - even on the coast - noseeums are the problem at the beach during summer. Literally can't see them. But they do sting.

Love Bugs are here right now, and they are bad this season - Love Bugs just ruined the Siesta Fiesta - all the food vendors had to shut down, because of the lovebugs.

We are staying in Florida because my mother is 84 and most of my family is still here, but we are relocating further north.

Hope you find the right place for you.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
Would you all say the same about the Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte areas? Awful? Buggy? Oppressive? Why are so many people leaving? is it financial or weather. Which.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,329,966 times
And again, I had a MUCH bigger problem with bugs up north (cockroaches in DC-metro area) than I have since being here.

The lovebugs are the worst of it, but they're gone in a couple weeks, and they don't bite or anything, so...meh.

I guess if I had 3-inch palm cockroaches crawling around my home, I'd feel different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area