Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM

49 posts, read 107,615 times

Advertisements

We are looking into Florida. Which part would better suit us. We are a biracial, liberal family and we love to be outside, biking, parks lot of activities but would like a "small town" feel with lots of kids and things to do for our children.

So, which city would better suit us? We also have kids so good schools and just really family oriented is top importance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
does this help?

LOL Just Kidding!!! and I know I was no help :P
I have a cousin in Jacksonville, he's mid-30s w/kids. They love it there. It looks beautiful. I have family in Tampa, they love it there too. I don't know if I felt any "small town" vibe in Tampa. You'd have to define that more. Do you mean you go to the stores and everyone knows you and Pearl gives you the town gossip or that it's got a cute little main street?
I think the beaches here make Sarasota different. I'd say there is some of that small town charming main street thing going on in parts here but the Mayberry neighborhood thing I haven't found yet.

i don't know about mixed couples and general attitudes. I've heard a few jaw-dropping racial comments made casually that just blew my mind. Outwardly it appears to be mellow here, I see mixed race couples and same sex couples but I just don't know so lame it's even something you feel you need to mention but i bet if you pick the wrong area in the south you'll be sorry. I can tell you that in general, in the area that I live in, the schools I have been to here, the beaches, etc... heavy on the white folk.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 23,497 times
Ok, that was funny. I live in Sarasota, been here all my life, but we are relocating finally further north.

We loved Jacksonville - although we are not liberal, I think jacksonville would be more diverse than a smaller area like Sarasota which is mostly conservative. Bigger areas breed more diversity.

Jacksonville has some really nice areas, lots to do and better weather in the summer than here which can be brutal to say the least. it is broken up into suburban areas which can give you that small town feel. And, St. Augustine is just down the road a bit.

Good luck and do your homework.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 PM

172 posts, read 472,393 times
You will be totally welcome in Sarasota. Tons of liberals, good schools, great beaches, 9 months of great weather... 12 if you like the heat! :-) It has a small town feel with a wonderful arts/culture scene. Culture is the glue that binds us all together and Sarasota is considered the cultural capital of Florida. Best Wishes!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM

205 posts, read 480,856 times
I would stay away from south florida (ft.lauderdale etc.) the schools in broward county arent so great. Check out Wesley chapel, near Tampa. When we went to visit, there where lots of families and it was a small place but you have access to the major city too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area