Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

The Silver Moon Drive-in in Lakeland has been in continuous operation for about 60 years and it's a fun place to go. I never heard of anything bad happening there (we used to live in Lakeland). Same with the one in Dade City.

But to the OP, sorry, there are none in the area. they are becoming more and more rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM

275 posts, read 715,142 times
I guess I was thinking that Lakeland wasn't that far away; I know, probably somewhere between 1-1/2 to 2 hours away.

Once we move down there (how long have I been saying that...?) I want to drive my Austin-Healey to Lakeland so the guy that did the finish bodywork and got it painted for me can see it. I did all the restoration work on the car up to that point, and completed the final assembly and all trimming out myself, but I couldn't get over the hurdle of the bodywork without some professional help.

Maybe afterwards, Sue & I could take it to the Drive-In Movie; I'd want to avoid any double features, given the comfort level of just sitting there in the seats, and we sure couldn't get away with much fooling around either!

1957 Austin-Healey 100/6: April 1st marked thirty-three (33) years that I've owned this car.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
That is a very cool car!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
... with the amount of bugs we have here at night in the dark, I can't imagine wanting to sit in a car watching a movie...also, it's a great opportunity to get mugged, shot, or killed. (I did grow up in the north so I understand the allure of the drive-in).
I think--and I could be wrong, of course--that you're being a little overly paranoid.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I think--and I could be wrong, of course--that you're being a little overly paranoid.
ya think?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't think the idea is to actually watch the movie.
ha ha ha....mom used to take me to the drive in back in Detroit during the summer & I totally loved it & enjoyed it because she didn't harp on the recommended parental ratings...I got to see everything & develop a great love of film due to her uncensoredness.... Now, when I went a few times with my dates, I never got to watch the movie & usally had to run away & call home for rides

Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
I guess I was thinking that Lakeland wasn't that far away; I know, probably somewhere between 1-1/2 to 2 hours away.

Once we move down there (how long have I been saying that...?) I want to drive my Austin-Healey to Lakeland so the guy that did the finish bodywork and got it painted for me can see it. I did all the restoration work on the car up to that point, and completed the final assembly and all trimming out myself, but I couldn't get over the hurdle of the bodywork without some professional help.

Maybe afterwards, Sue & I could take it to the Drive-In Movie; I'd want to avoid any double features, given the comfort level of just sitting there in the seats, and we sure couldn't get away with much fooling around either!

1957 Austin-Healey 100/6: April 1st marked thirty-three (33) years that I've owned this car.

Haha - Randy - many years ago when I was a teen my boyfriend had one of those cars and we would always go to the Tampa drive-ins! Sometimes 3-4 features, and I'd be asleep before they were over........ Not the most comfy car for drive-in movies!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM

164 posts, read 356,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

Ummm...Randy...there is NO way I am going to a drive-in movie in the Healey or our other two-seaters. It will be the SUV or nothing!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
ha ha ha....mom used to take me to the drive in back in Detroit during the summer & I totally loved it & enjoyed it because she didn't harp on the recommended parental ratings...I got to see everything & develop a great love of film due to her uncensoredness.... Now, when I went a few times with my dates, I never got to watch the movie & usally had to run away & call home for rides
Sue (in Ohio) and I both grew up in Detroit, around 7-Mile & Evergreen.

I used to go to the Drive-Ins with my parents, nieghbor-friend's parents and even my older brother with his girlfriends (our parents, oddly were in favor of this...).

I'm pretty sure the object, in all cases stated above, was to get us (kids) as tired out on all the playground euipment in front of the screen as possible; I doubt I ever lasted to the end of the second feature, I certainly never remembered the ride home. Some of those characteristics endured through my own dating era; I wasn't much of a threat at the Drive-In, LOL!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
Ummm...Randy...there is NO way I am going to a drive-in movie in the Healey or our other two-seaters. It will be the SUV or nothing!
You're right; we should just play park the car in the garage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area