Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM

85 posts, read 191,509 times

Advertisements

I plan to move down towards the end of the year, should I sale my 16 ft v hull up here or do you think it will be worth anything down in Punta gorda? I was also wondering what size boat and motor you need to fish the harbour and gulf? Any help would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I prefer something with a flatter bottom that doesn't draw as much water. Flats fishing is pretty big down here and much of the water is very shallow. My personal preference is a Boston Whaler.

I know some of the guys on here do have boats that draw a little more water though.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Yes, it depends on how much water you draw and where you want to go. I would think 16 feet wouldn't draw much but there's a serious trade off there. If you want to cross large bays or go into the gulf and you don't have much of a deadrise, you are going to get beat up, wet, or worse on a day when the wind picks up. So called "bay boats" are a nice compromise. No boat is perfect for everything, unfortunately. Just use your common sense.

I bought a 17' Mako CC when I first moved down here and that had a hard ride in a good chop and it couldn't go where I wanted to go for flats fishing. On anything but the nicest days, I wouldn't take it too far out into the gulf and definitely not out of sight of land. I also had a 22' Proline walkaround with a lot of freeboard and I took that out to the offshore reefs (I want to say maybe out 12-15 miles at most?...been a while) without too much grief but now, being older and wiser, I'd recommend at least 25' with two outboards to go offshore. You'll get out there and see guys in 16' boats...don't get me wrong...but those guys are (how shall I say this nicely....ummmm)...NUTS. The gulf can be as smooth as glass and on those days it is an unbelievable experience but it can also become hell in very little time and sometimes with not much warning. I've gone diving when I've gone down on a "nice day" and come up on a windy messy day with the anchor bouncing around. Whatever you do, invest in an EPIRB if you want to go in the gulf. I didn't bother but, if I ever get another boat suitable for the gulf, that will be my first purchase. There have been too many stories over the years of people dissappearing out there.

Last edited by bbronston; 05-16-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Thank's SoFlGal. I will probaly get more money up here in MN and buy something down there. I also heard you were the one to talk to about homes. I have to sell my home up here first but will look you up when we have more definative dates. I lived in Port charlotte 15 years ago for about 6 months but got a job at Mayo clinic. I'm an RN and my wife is a social worker. I know I can find a job and my wife is flexable( she also has a teaching degree). Do you know if there is much need for subs in the area? We have 4 boys between 2 and 14 so we will be looking for 4 bedrooms in the 160 to 200 price range. Looks like there are plenty of homes in that price range!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Thank's SoFlGal. I will probaly get more money up here in MN and buy something down there. I also heard you were the one to talk to about homes. I have to sell my home up here first but will look you up when we have more definative dates. I lived in Port charlotte 15 years ago for about 6 months but got a job at Mayo clinic. I'm an RN and my wife is a social worker. I know I can find a job and my wife is flexable( she also has a teaching degree). Do you know if there is much need for subs in the area? We have 4 boys between 2 and 14 so we will be looking for 4 bedrooms in the 160 to 200 price range. Looks like there are plenty of homes in that price range!
Yes, there are plenty of homes in the Port Charlotte/North Port area that would fit the bill. I do expect prices to go up slightly during the summer months due to lack of inventory and then possibly dip back down a little in Oct/Nov. I would suggest looking into renting at first if you're not too familiar with the area.

On the job front, I would think it wold be a bit easier for you and your wife to find jobs here since you're in the medical field. I have a friend who got a job as a sub through the school system. She did a lot of work at Pine View School and then got hired on full time. To be honest though I think the teaching part might be a little difficult. There have been a lot of layoffs and budget cuts lately.

Since you have the boys I know schools will be top on your list as well. You can go to www.GreatSchools.com to check out comments on the schools and go here: School Accountability Report .. to see how the state rates them.

Incidentally, othe boat issue. I tend to agree with BB. I haven't seen a boat that fits all of the requirements yet

Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM

547 posts, read 926,739 times
Finally a topic I know a bit about. I worked for the largest marine engine mfgr. for over 20 years, been in a LOT of boats.
First thing I would ask you is if your boat was aluminum or fiberglass? Next what is your trailer made from?.
You could easily fish back waters & bays, but would need to pick your days certain times of the year.
FYI: I am in the market for the right 16' tiller.
As to your wife: In Sarasota she would need a Florida teaching certificate to sub as a teacher. A degree will let you sub as a Para- Pro. (aide)
There is a $ differential.

Quote:
I plan to move down towards the end of the year, should I sale my 16 ft v hull up here or do you think it will be worth anything down in Punta gorda? I was also wondering what size boat and motor you need to fish the harbour and gulf? Any help would be awesome!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
Finally a topic I know a bit about. I worked for the largest marine engine mfgr. for over 20 years, been in a LOT of boats.
First thing I would ask you is if your boat was aluminum or fiberglass? Next what is your trailer made from?.
You could easily fish back waters & bays, but would need to pick your days certain times of the year.
FYI: I am in the market for the right 16' tiller.
As to your wife: In Sarasota she would need a Florida teaching certificate to sub as a teacher. A degree will let you sub as a Para- Pro. (aide)
There is a $ differential.
Thanks for the reply, my brother inlaw wants to buy it. We will see if he comes up with the cash. It is a lunker with a 40hp evinrude, nothing special. I use it to fish the mighty Mississippi, but not so much lately. water is way high.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Yes, sell yours out there.

When I moved here in 2007 from AZ, I didn't know any better and didn't solicite good advice like you are. Good for you. I bought a 26' walk around cabin with a Volvo Penta I/O, that drew 30". It didn't take long to figure out I bought the wrong boat. I had visions of off shore fishing, which it was made for, but quickly found out I didn't have the money for fuel for too many of those trips a year.

Three years and thousands of dollars of maintenance later, I had put only about 100 hours on it and hated it. I luckily found someone else who didn't know any better and sold it for 88% of my original purchase price, ironically to a guy who moved to FL from MN.

I bought an 8 year old Key West 196 Bay Reef boat and love, love, love it.
27 degree dead rise keeps me dry and gets me 5 miles off shore on days of 2' seas. 12" draft takes me into the mangroves to fish the flats.

Love the Boston Whalers too but they were toooooo rich for my used dollar. Take a serious look at the KW Bay Reef model. It comes in sizes from 18 to 24. Assuming you want to fish more than cruise, whatever you do, get a center console with an outboard. No dual consoles, no cabins, no bow riders, no deck boats, no pontoons.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Yes, sell yours out there.

When I moved here in 2007 from AZ, I didn't know any better and didn't solicite good advice like you are. Good for you. I bought a 26' walk around cabin with a Volvo Penta I/O, that drew 30". It didn't take long to figure out I bought the wrong boat. I had visions of off shore fishing, which it was made for, but quickly found out I didn't have the money for fuel for too many of those trips a year.

Three years and thousands of dollars of maintenance later, I had put only about 100 hours on it and hated it. I luckily found someone else who didn't know any better and sold it for 88% of my original purchase price, ironically to a guy who moved to FL from MN.

I bought an 8 year old Key West 196 Bay Reef boat and love, love, love it.
27 degree dead rise keeps me dry and gets me 5 miles off shore on days of 2' seas. 12" draft takes me into the mangroves to fish the flats.

Love the Boston Whalers too but they were toooooo rich for my used dollar. Take a serious look at the KW Bay Reef model. It comes in sizes from 18 to 24. Assuming you want to fish more than cruise, whatever you do, get a center console with an outboard. No dual consoles, no cabins, no bow riders, no deck boats, no pontoons.
Hey MA Thanks for the heads up, cant wait to get down there. My wife and I are planning to visit the area in August to see if she can handle the heat I shot you a DM about fishing the Occoquan river, if you like smallmouth bass you should consider fishing it if you had time to kill out there.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Hey MA Thanks for the heads up, cant wait to get down there. My wife and I are planning to visit the area in August to see if she can handle the heat I shot you a DM about fishing the Occoquan river, if you like smallmouth bass you should consider fishing it if you had time to kill out there.
My boat is very much like MA's. It is a 21' Sea Hunt, center console, with a 115 Yamaha (4 stroke), runs great, very fuel Efficient. Goes almost anywhere except in water that is real shallow. Then I wish I had another boat, smaller, flatter. And for the gulf, BB was right something 25 with 2 engines would be nice. But, mine works fine. I love it too, but plan on tweaking it a bit by adding a trolling motor like MA has, and possibly a lift plate (but I'll see how the trolling motor works first).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area