Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Every agent I called quoted me the exact same price, and told me that no one but Citizens would actually cover a house this old. When we purchased the house the only company I could get to write the policy was State Farm (That should have been a clue!). They've since "withdrawn from the coast".

I'll definitely be calling around tomorrow to see if I can find something else.
Due to the age of your home I highly doubt you'll find anyone to pick you up other than Citizens, unfortunately.

It's my understanding that if you have a Citizens policy it's the same no matter who quotes it I have Citizens on my rentals and it's the same no matter who I ask.

My insurance is under $800 per year but my home is newer. It's disappointing they tag so so heavily for owning a historic home, as I'd like to own one some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Question is, do you really need $312k in coverage? Would it really cost that much to replace? If not, have them reduce your coverage to bring the price down. In 2008, Citizens originally had my dwelling coverage at $190k, which is way more than it would cost to rebuild an 1800 sqft 3 bd/2ba home. I had them reduce it to $140k I think, which is more than enough. I just got my renewal last week and it increased by $70 this year, which I didn't think was too bad. It's now just over $1400. Flood is about $500 since we're on a gulf access canal.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Question is, do you really need $312k in coverage? Would it really cost that much to replace? If not, have them reduce your coverage to bring the price down. In 2008, Citizens originally had my dwelling coverage at $190k, which is way more than it would cost to rebuild an 1800 sqft 3 bd/2ba home. I had them reduce it to $140k I think, which is more than enough. I just got my renewal last week and it increased by $70 this year, which I didn't think was too bad. It's now just over $1400. Flood is about $500 since we're on a gulf access canal.
I certainly don't want that much coverage. I actually talked to my agent last week about all of my policies. I asked the same question, if we needed / had to have that much coverage, and was told that that it couldn't be covered for less.

Mind you that this is a 3/2 ~1900 sq foot house. It's a nice old place, but nothing spectacular.

Our flood is $1000. We aren't on a canal, but the property is at 6-7 ft, and the house is at 8 or 9 ft above sea level. There are canal or river front homes within a block each direction.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Due to the age of your home I highly doubt you'll find anyone to pick you up other than Citizens, unfortunately.

It's my understanding that if you have a Citizens policy it's the same no matter who quotes it I have Citizens on my rentals and it's the same no matter who I ask.

My insurance is under $800 per year but my home is newer. It's disappointing they tag so so heavily for owning a historic home, as I'd like to own one some day.
It certainly diminishes the value of older places. At this point the difference between my mortgage and escrow payment is going to be about $70. As a resale I think it's going to be tough to move.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Skunk - is your older home also frame? That makes it even worse. Sadly, I agree with you that it really diminishes the resale value of these older homes. I have been through this with my own homes. We now have a 1950's concrete block/stucco home that's built like a bunker and all renovated, and still have to pay $1,800 HOI (last year's premium) plus $1,100 for flood (house at 9 ft, 2 blocks from bay).

I really think Florida is in crisis mode with this insurance, and it doesn't help that I read several articles a while back about how it's the reinsurance companies causing the ins. companies to charge such high rates, and that they were computed on "faulty" storm models!

Anyway, to others reading this, if Citizen's is your only choice, it won't matter WHO you call, quote will be the same, and they don't just let you "reduce" your coverage. Also, for most lenders, coverages on flood and regular HOI have to match - I have this issue every year with my lender.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anyway, to others reading this, if Citizen's is your only choice, it won't matter WHO you call, quote will be the same, and they don't just let you "reduce" your coverage.
My experience was just the opposite. One call to Citizens and I got my replacement coverage amount reduced by around 25%, since I could prove that it wouldn't cost that much to replace my older, simple home.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Insurance was one reason we didn't look at any homes built before 2006. After reading all of this I'm real glad. It is really horrible though that it will affect the resale value of the older homes. I know it did for us, there were some that I just loved but didn't even go to see them in person.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
My experience was just the opposite. One call to Citizens and I got my replacement coverage amount reduced by around 25%, since I could prove that it wouldn't cost that much to replace my older, simple home.
How did you prove it - do you mean you got an appraisal? I guess that is the variable here. I think most people are stuck.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Skunk - is your older home also frame? That makes it even worse. Sadly, I agree with you that it really diminishes the resale value of these older homes. I have been through this with my own homes. We now have a 1950's concrete block/stucco home that's built like a bunker and all renovated, and still have to pay $1,800 HOI (last year's premium) plus $1,100 for flood (house at 9 ft, 2 blocks from bay).

I really think Florida is in crisis mode with this insurance, and it doesn't help that I read several articles a while back about how it's the reinsurance companies causing the ins. companies to charge such high rates, and that they were computed on "faulty" storm models!

Anyway, to others reading this, if Citizen's is your only choice, it won't matter WHO you call, quote will be the same, and they don't just let you "reduce" your coverage. Also, for most lenders, coverages on flood and regular HOI have to match - I have this issue every year with my lender.
Yea, it's frame as well so that certainly doesn't help at all.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM

275 posts, read 715,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Insurance was one reason we didn't look at any homes built before 2006. After reading all of this I'm real glad. It is really horrible though that it will affect the resale value of the older homes. I know it did for us, there were some that I just loved but didn't even go to see them in person.
We've limited our search to 2007 build date and newer, fueled by hurricane construction standards, and their more favorable insurance rates. Also, it certainly doesn't hurt to have the newest in safety (windows, etc.) and energy efficiency.

Honestly though, it's looking more and more like we'll be settling on a home with a 2011/2012 build date (I sure hope it's not a 2013/2014...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area