Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
CTC CTC started this thread

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I have a question about accessing water ways in FL.Here in Montana we are blessed with great public access to rivers/streams.

Basically if there is a bridge on a public road crossing the water way (public easement), and it is a safe spot one can put in there.

I am asking because we are trying to buy a home in North Port which is a few blocks from a nice canal, and a bridge crosses it. It would be great to be able to put in right there. Not sure how it works in FL.

Thanks

CTC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I can't speak to the specific location you are talking about but, in general, as long as you are not trespassing on someone's property without permission, and you are allowed to park on the right of way, you can launch pretty much anywhere.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Hmmmm...I'm not sure on the correct answer on this. I would think if it is public property you could launch there but I'm not sure it the city would see it the same way.

This is a really good website that I use all of the time to check the launch points in the area: Paddle Guide, Sarasota’s Kayak and Canoe Trails Sarasota county also has a pretty handy book the has tons of good info on kayaking and has the launch points in there as well. This number 941-861-5000 is listed at the bottom of the website. You might want to give them a call to see if they could answer your question.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I have heard of a situation up in Pinellas where there was a well established launch location but guys were parking along the right of way or just off it. It was public land. A bunch of cars got towed so I guess it depends on how tough they want to be about it. However, most of the best launches I know of are pretty much the same sort of thing and I've never been bothered.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
CTC CTC started this thread

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
Thanks!
I appreciate the info

Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
i would say it is safe to assume that its not the launching thats the issue. its the parking. thats the way that people of affluence keep non water front owners off "their" beach. they just ensure that there is no parking therefor no one on the, whats really public beach. and if all the property abuts one another with no public walkway then how do you get to it.

there is a boat launch at manasota beach area. it is on the intercoastal side of the key. there is a small beach close to the bridge that alot of people launch kayaks from and there is plenty of public no charge parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area