Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hippiemomof3,

Did you ever get answer of whether you can live on $42K in Sarasota? I haven't seen a direct answer, but maybe I missed it.

I am very interested, even though I make a bit more than that, but as you probably know, the more you make, the more you end up spending.

Mike
Nobody can really answer that except for the OP. We don't know this family's spending habits, bills, financial situation, debt load, etc.... Nobody is going to come on here and say "Yes, you can live off $42,000 in Sarasota"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:13 PM

11 posts, read 17,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Nobody can really answer that except for the OP. We don't know this family's spending habits, bills, financial situation, debt load, etc.... Nobody is going to come on here and say "Yes, you can live off $42,000 in Sarasota"

Good point!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 AM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
Yes, you can make it on 42k. You won't be living in a gated community,but I don't think that's bad. You will be relatively safe. I only say relatively because we are not totally safe anywhere. There are plenty of affordable homes convenient to many amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hippiemomof3,

Did you ever get answer of whether you can live on $42K in Sarasota? I haven't seen a direct answer, but maybe I missed it.

I am very interested, even though I make a bit more than that, but as you probably know, the more you make, the more you end up spending.

Mike

Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemomof3 View Post
Our family is looking to move from missouri to florida, After doing alot of research we decided that we loved the sarasota area (but it mostly depends on where my husband can find a job in his field). We are a young family I'm 24 and my husband is 25 and we have 3 young children ages 9,3 and 2.

We want to live somwhere that has good schools and isn't more than a 30 minute drive from the beach. We are looking to rent a house (at least 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths) but we can't afford to pay more than $1,200 a month on rent. Is it possible to comfortably live in sarasota with a yearly income of only $42,000? Most of all is the sarasota area a good place to raise a family?

Sorry for any typos I have a toddler on my lap that trying to "help" me type!

Jennifer
Five people on 42K a year?

1. Gross or after taxes?
2. Credit Card debt?
3. Car(s) payment?
4. If rent doesn't include utility bills, factor that in...

Will you have a year's worth of emergency income saved when you arrive in 2013?

There are so many things to consider & is that 42K figure what you're making now because if it is, you need to realize that Florida employers factor in a beach/sunshine deduction here...

There are ways to live on the cheap side here & it takes some work & savvy.

Health insurance could be a major cost as I saw what it was a few years ago with my previous company & once you add children it was somewhere close to $500/600 a month.

Lots to think about!!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 AM

89 posts, read 104,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
This exact thing is why we need to encourage preservation of ones people. Kick all the undesirables out and build a better and safer America. I know I would be livid if it were my kids who died like this. www.davidduke.com will give you more details.

Are posts like DoctorRain's tolerated? I didn't come here for that

Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM

73 posts, read 228,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyfromKansas View Post
Are posts like DoctorRain's tolerated? I didn't come here for that

some people are simply racists, they are everywhere, but they are in a minority in Sarasota/Manatee/Tmapa Bay in my opinion.

Yes, you can 'make it' on 42k, but it's going to be a bit difficult frankly. Sarasota is not a cheap place to live, and it's not a place to 'struggle'. Please know that. I would say your family income would be less stressful in the range of 55-60k as a family. Try to cut a better deal on salary or benefits, etc. I hope you have some svaings, if you don't, don't do it.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! We are saving up $20k before the move (thats why we won't be moving until atleast 2013). As of right now our income is is $35k a year but DH is starting a job soon making $42K and he would not except anything less then that when looking for a job in sarasota. Right now we live off of $35K a year and it's not easy at all. Our rent is $800, car payments are $320, insurence is about $130. we don't have any debt or credit cards... After everything we have about $1,700 a month in just bills. That's not including food, gas and all of the other things that you need. On the other hand we live a pretty frugal life.We use cloth diapers (which I make myself), cloth wipes, unpaper towels, reuseable everything, We make our own eco friendly laundry soap and household cleaners, I sew most of my kids clothes and we eat out of our garden alot. So all of that really helps with the cost of living.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM

73 posts, read 228,647 times
given what you just explained...I would not move...unless you have a stack of money or access to ti

Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemomof3 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! We are saving up $20k before the move (thats why we won't be moving until atleast 2013). As of right now our income is is $35k a year but DH is starting a job soon making $42K and he would not except anything less then that when looking for a job in sarasota. Right now we live off of $35K a year and it's not easy at all. Our rent is $800, car payments are $320, insurence is about $130. we don't have any debt or credit cards... After everything we have about $1,700 a month in just bills. That's not including food, gas and all of the other things that you need. On the other hand we live a pretty frugal life.We use cloth diapers (which I make myself), cloth wipes, unpaper towels, reuseable everything, We make our own eco friendly laundry soap and household cleaners, I sew most of my kids clothes and we eat out of our garden alot. So all of that really helps with the cost of living.
Well, it's all a matter of lifestyle. Interestingly, there is a sizable Amish village here in Sarasota, and they are the most frugal people around. I imagine they live off of even less. So it can be done. But that said, continue to save as much money as possible, and PLEASE have a job secured here before you move - believe me, that will make all the difference as to whether you can succeed here or not.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, it's all a matter of lifestyle. Interestingly, there is a sizable Amish village here in Sarasota, and they are the most frugal people around. I imagine they live off of even less. So it can be done. But that said, continue to save as much money as possible, and PLEASE have a job secured here before you move - believe me, that will make all the difference as to whether you can succeed here or not.

Good luck to you!

Thanks! My hubby will definitely have a job secured before we move. We don't live a frugal life because we have to, We do it because we like to. There are also a few bills that we have living here in missouri that we won't have in Florida for example our gym membership ($100 a month) that we only use in the winter because it's too cold to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area