Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 50,037 times

Advertisements

hmmm I don't think I like how that sounds, sounds dangerous. Thank you though it's something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Shaydeon, to put your mind at ease, most repairs are done in a marina type environment, although I'm sure some marinas have on the water service available as well. But I think for the most part the vast majority of repairs would be completed at a shop. Usually due to the availability of machinery needed to complete major types of repairs, having the necessary parts on hand, and the use of a controlled work environment makes it always optimal for the mechanic. Unless your working on ships, I don't think there is much to be concerned about. Hope this helps!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
As an ex professional Auto Mechanic who has worked on my own diesel boat, I'd rather stick needles under my fingernails instead of being a pro boat diesel mech. Diesels are big, ugly and heavy to begin with. Couple that with cramped quarters, white shag carpet to get to them in the first place and an irate boat owner, I recommend he thinks long and hard about marine diesels. Anyone who works on them deserves what they make as it isn't enough.
At least on a truck or genny you can stand up and stretch your legs or use a crane to pull a head, etc without spending hours rigging up a simple hoist while rolling in the slip.
Or it it's on land, no A/C, South FL! Yikes!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 670 times
There would appear to be a great career opportunity here for a capable & conscientious marine diesel mechanic. A friend recommended "the best." "The best" returned my call the next day, said he would be here by first of "next week". No show. No phone call explaining and re-scheduling. It's now two weeks with a laid-up boat, the cost-per-boating-exposure of which rivals Elliott Spitzer's costs with hookers. At $70 to $100 an hour we should be able to expect professionalism and appreciation for our business. If I ignored my customers the way this guy does i would have no customers. I dumped him 20+ years ago for the same reason but foolishly tried him again. He's still in business, still recommended by his customers and still letting customers twist in the wind. With two weeks waiting invested, and similar threads on other D.M.s I feel constrained to give him one more week, after which I'll share his name so everyone can know what to expect from him. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a GOOD D.M. who wants business, arrives when promised or calls to re-schedule, and appreciates an owner who has kept the engine room air-conditioned for the past two weeks -- so "the best" can work comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area