Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 AM

27 posts, read 84,907 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there were Chinese Dry Wall issues in Summerfield in Lakewood Ranch? If there was how was it corrected? I would be hesitant about buying anything that had it even if they say it was fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
None that I've ever heard reported. Summerfield was built before the CDW era but I suppose it is possible that someone might have done some drywall work in their home during that time. However, that possibility exists with any home built before that time. Anyway, your home inspector will look for the tell-tale signs as part of his/her inspection and let you know what they find.

The only CDW I've ever heard about in LWR was in homes built by Taylor-Morrison or Taylor Woodrow--can never remember which is the old name and which is the current name, on Skip Jack Loop in Greenbrook. I think I recall one on Searobbin but I'm not sure. It's helpful to realize that even on the same street, homes built at the same time by Kimball Hill did not have it, to my knowledge. So, in other words, wherever you look for a home use the "trust but verify" approach.

Last edited by bbronston; 06-02-2011 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
run a search on this forum for
Chinese DryWall
there have been other threads--about Lakewood and in general

Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM

248 posts, read 535,348 times
Can you tell me more about the Chinese drywall??? Were people getting sick??? I had a house built in Lakewood Ranch in 2003. Bruce Williams. I had so many illnesses while living in that house! My lips and feet would swell. I went to many allergist visits while living there. My face swelled up so bad, I wound up in the ER! I was taking Benadryll at least once a week. Once I moved out, and moved to a house in Mill Creek, the swelling stopped completely! Also had some other ailments that seemed to go away after I moved out.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM

I've not heard of any Bruce Williams' homes having CDW but I guess anything could be possible. Some people reported no symptoms while others said they were having sore throats, headaches, even forgetfulness. My friend who owned one in Greenbrook also said she had nose bleeds. Your ailments definitely sound environmentally related but it could have been from other things like paint, carpet, mold, etc. I really doubt it was CDW because you didn't mention any other evidence that would almost certainly go along with your physical ailments. For example, did any of the copper in the house turn black and pitted? Did your mirrors turn black around the edges? A/C fail and need to be replaced once or twice in a pretty short period of time? Those were the signs that most frequently pointed to CDW with a high level of sulfer. And, as I said, I haven't heard anything about it being found in Summerfield.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM

No, none of those things happened in the house. But that house DEFINITELY made me sick. Insomnia started, esophagus spasms, headaches, chronic cough, swelling, my 10 year old developed a 17 mm kidney stone! As soon as I moved out, most symptoms stopped, except for insomnia. It was really obvious there was something wrong with that house. So maybe not chinese drywall, but possibly mold? After we moved out, we rented the house, and the new tenent's lip swelled and she also had to go to the ER. I went on chinesedrywall.com and it said some of the symptoms were insomnia, cough, headaches, etc. Just seems like it makes sense.
Thanks for the response to both of my posts

Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
Can you tell me more about the Chinese drywall??? Were people getting sick??? I had a house built in Lakewood Ranch in 2003. Bruce Williams. I had so many illnesses while living in that house! My lips and feet would swell. I went to many allergist visits while living there. My face swelled up so bad, I wound up in the ER! I was taking Benadryll at least once a week. Once I moved out, and moved to a house in Mill Creek, the swelling stopped completely! Also had some other ailments that seemed to go away after I moved out.
I've been in many homes with CDW. This website explains more about symptoms and should answer most of your questions: Welcome to Chinesedrywall.com

Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM

sak9210, it definitely sounds like there is something toxic in that house. It could be anything, too. Bug sprays, volatile chemicals offgassing from various materials, even chemicals that you introduced yourself. If you still own it, you might consider having it checked professionally and, if possible, have the problem mitigated. You have an obligation (or had one) to notify a buyer of the problem (in my opinion) and it's much easier to get over that hurdle if it has already been handled.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM

bbronston.....we had another house built in Mill Creek, and we left the LR house after living in it for 2 yrs. We were unable to sell it, so we rented it to friends, and the same thing happened to the woman renting it. Her lip swelled up so bad, she had to go to the hospital! I wish we would have done something about it at the time, but we didn't. They moved out after only a few months, and then we were unable to sell the home. The house was on Blue Grosbeak Circle in the Run.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM

70 posts, read 217,002 times
Look for black corrosion on the copper pipes under the sinks, the copper pipes by the water heater, and the copper in the air handler. It's very distinctive in appearance. Google should give you some images to work with.
https://encrypted.google.com/search?...w=1920&bih=923
Especially look for solid black copper rather than just spotting.

Mold is much more widespread. Pretty much any house can have mold issues. On drywall it looks almost like spray-paint, typically you see it most easily on the back of the drywall sheet. A video should give you some indication of what it looks like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgzAoEKXYk

(Standard disclaimer: an expert home inspector will see things and know things that you may miss.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area