Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 AM

18 posts, read 50,020 times

Advertisements

I've read several post where someone has said something negative about an area, and suddenly there attacked for it. I see comments like your new here, or what's your issue, etc. First off I really don't understand what seniority has to do with someone saying whats on there mind. And why are people not entitled to there opinion once it's something negative. If that's how that person feels, then that is there right. I know every area isn't peaches and cream, and as someone planning on relocating I would like to hear both sides, not just the glitz. It comes down to any one that doesn't know the area has to see for themselves, and form there own opinion. The bottom line people are entitled to say negative things about an area. If I go some where that I may not live, and it's run down, that's exactly how I'm going to describe it. People that live there may love it, but I'm stating what I saw, is that wrong, I don't think so.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
It's not the opinion, it's the expression. Bold up the type, write in terms of absolutes, and be overwhelmingly negative in the face of those whom you know have the opposite point-of-view, and you will receive an entirely predictable response. That's not expressing an opinion....that's being a troll.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 AM

Your making a statement about a specific post, I read the post that I assume your referring to, which is actually what made me just now write this post, but had that been the only post I've seen like that I would have said nothing. I've read several post, comments, and threads not like the one you are talking about, simply someone stating there opinion, and people jump all over that.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydeon View Post
I've read several post where someone has said something negative about an area, and suddenly there attacked for it. I see comments like your new here, or what's your issue, etc. First off I really don't understand what seniority has to do with someone saying whats on there mind. And why are people not entitled to there opinion once it's something negative. If that's how that person feels, then that is there right. I know every area isn't peaches and cream, and as someone planning on relocating I would like to hear both sides, not just the glitz. It comes down to any one that doesn't know the area has to see for themselves, and form there own opinion. The bottom line people are entitled to say negative things about an area. If I go some where that I may not live, and it's run down, that's exactly how I'm going to describe it. People that live there may love it, but I'm stating what I saw, is that wrong, I don't think so.
I hear you loud and clear. I have a few theories on that. (a) Most people are territorial about their location because they are in their comfort zone and may have been there for a long time; they may not recognize negative or even positive change around them. Thus, they give a totally non-objective opinion based on only their experience and what makes them comfy. (b) Many people have not experienced other areas of the country and may not be well-travelled, or adventurous. They can only give "hearsay" opinions based on what others have told them, again, narrow opinions. (c) I live in the Blue Ridge Mtns. of NC near Asheville, and my own brother in law thinks I live where "Deliverance" was filmed. He spent 3 weeks at Camp Lejeune over at the coast of NC, and as such believes he knows the whole state. Sorry to say, he's ignorant. Just as some people judge an area by what they see on a 2 day business trip and in and out of an airport. So they say they've "been there".

(d) The best opinions will come from experienced travelers, folks who have relocated here and there for a few years at a time and have actual boots on the ground experience of living in an area and experiencing what it has to offer or not. The Realtors on this forum are an invaluable resource, most are well traveled and objective, and the truly honest experienced agents will give you the best and the worst that they know of as professionals.

Some people like chocolate, others like vanilla. You have to read between the lines.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
Attacking is prevalent on the Florida boards. People spent a lot of money to uproot themselves from somewhere else and they came to FL with big dreams expecting sunshine and resort style living 24/7. Whenever someone raises a negative point it touches a nerve because they know they can't sell their house for what they paid for it and they are stuck. It really doesn't make for a good Florida image on city-data.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Quilterchick I 100% get what your saying, and there is definitely a difference in how someone is stating there opinion. For example if someone is not from some where but says "this is how it looked" I think that's a fair opinion to have. Now if your not from some where and your trying to state facts about the area that you have only been in for 5 minutes, that's a whole different situation where I would say that person is wrong.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydeon View Post
Your making a statement about a specific post, I read the post that I assume your referring to, which is actually what made me just now write this post, but had that been the only post I've seen like that I would have said nothing. I've read several post, comments, and threads not like the one you are talking about, simply someone stating there opinion, and people jump all over that.
Yes, it was obvious that you were referring to the post that appeared this morning so I directed my comments toward that one. But, the same principle still applies...it's still about the delivery. I'd bet that most first time posters have spent at least a little time reading other posts first and, therefore, should be able to determine that the "regulars" are largely positive about the area. If that person then comes on and says, in essence, 'your opinion of the area is wrong because I think this', well...as I said, you'll get a predictable result. On the other hand, if you say something like "In my opinion...." or "Your observation is interesting but I found...", I think your opinion will be met with a much more positive result. It's like going to an away game. People will generally leave you alone for rooting for your team if you keep it modest. If you start shouting about how the other team sux, you are asking for an 'accidental' beer spill.

Not saying it's right...just predictable.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,122 times
Whenever I am around an overwhelmingly and unnecessarily negative person, I do what I can to relieve myself of their company. If they persist in their negativity, I respond to their commentary.

When someone comes here and says "they drive badly" or "it's too crowded during the season" or "the housing crisis will likely take longer to blow over here than elsewhere," etc., fine...these are likely true statements.

But when folks jump on here and spew nonsense about how they know that everyone here has rose-colored glasses and are only defending the area because they are upset they are upside-down in their houses, etc., or that the care they got at SMH was a "joke" (despite all credible evidence to the contrary), and it really only appears their entire goal is just to share their negativity, then yes--you will likely see people getting defensive.

Just like in "real life."

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
it is quite simple, if there is a better place that suits ones needs then go there. for me if i make 2 columns, one the good and one the bad and ojectively list all, my positive list is longer than my negative list. i have been to many places so i can compare. if all you have ever lived is here then you might have the grass is greener concept. or like someone else said you came here thinking every day is a lay on the beach and a hot little thong clad babe brings you mojitos.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,347 times
Anytime anyone joins the forum specifically to post over exaggerated, over emotional, 100% negative claims about an entire county or city, I tend to instantly dismiss them. No area is perfect & everyone living here realizes that HOWEVER, there is a tactful way of discussing both sides. There are people who are just miserable & that comes through on their posts. I tend to wonder if those types of people would be happy anywhere.

It would be like me going onto the crockpot forum & stating crockpots are evil & I hate them. Would you not expect I would get an overwhelming pushback from the members there?!

FYI, I love my crockpot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area