Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM

243 posts, read 1,206,685 times

Advertisements

...for the family that like to be near the beach/ocean, looking for activities, things to do with the elementary school aged kids?

Primary concerns are good schools, safe neighborhoods, access to the beach. Dont mind being 10-15 min drive to a city area ( like gulf to Bay in Clearwater), but looking for more of the rural type like the eastlake Palm harbor/oldsmar region.

We moved to Palm Harbor about 8 months ago from NH and we do like it. We have a lease for about a year left before we have to renew/move. I have not visited the Sarasota area, but I have been to Holiday, Clearwater, Safety Harbor, St Pete, etc. None of these places have what we want. So far we still like Palm Harbor. Great school system for the kids, etc.

But I keep hearing about Sarasota, Venice, etc. Thoughts?

Recently we went to Sanabel/Ft Myers. Loved theft myers beach, wouldnt want to live near there with kids. Love driving through ft myers too, nice area. That is what we want and it is on the list. Sanabel was great, but out of our price range.

Does anyone have any experience with living in Palm Harbor area & Sarasota?

Thanks!
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
...for the family that like to be near the beach/ocean, looking for activities, things to do with the elementary school aged kids?

Primary concerns are good schools, safe neighborhoods, access to the beach. Dont mind being 10-15 min drive to a city area ( like gulf to Bay in Clearwater), but looking for more of the rural type like the eastlake Palm harbor/oldsmar region.

We moved to Palm Harbor about 8 months ago from NH and we do like it. We have a lease for about a year left before we have to renew/move. I have not visited the Sarasota area, but I have been to Holiday, Clearwater, Safety Harbor, St Pete, etc. None of these places have what we want. So far we still like Palm Harbor. Great school system for the kids, etc.

Recently we went to Sanabel/Ft Myers. Loved theft myers beach, wouldnt want to live near there with kids. Love driving through ft myers too, nice area. That is what we want and it is on the list. Sanabel was great, but out of our price range.

Thanks!
Jason
We had a place in Clearwater for several years before buying in Sarasota. Pinellas County is MUCH more congested than Sarasota County. There is really nothing like US19 in Sarasota. There are really no open spaces left in Pinellas County remaining, as it is a small county and has water on three sides. I would imagine from Eastlake it will take at least 30 minutes to get to the beach, if you can get across the causeway. And you pay for parking at the beach. There were many times we had to drive down to Bellair just to get to the beach. Another thing about Pinellas County, the areas are very inconsistent. One street is OK and the next is not. Although the extreme northern part of the county is pretty nice. MY cousin lives in Palm Harbor. One thing good about that area is the amount of restaurants. There are alot of restaurants and stores in Pinellas County.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
We had a place in Clearwater for several years before buying in Sarasota. Pinellas County is MUCH more congested than Sarasota County. There is really nothing like US19 in Sarasota. There are really no open spaces left in Pinellas County remaining, as it is a small county and has water on three sides. I would imagine from Eastlake it will take at least 30 minutes to get to the beach, if you can get across the causeway. And you pay for parking at the beach. There were many times we had to drive down to Bellair just to get to the beach. Another thing about Pinellas County, the areas are very inconsistent. One street is OK and the next is not. Although the extreme northern part of the county is pretty nice. MY cousin lives in Palm Harbor. One thing good about that area is the amount of restaurants. There are alot of restaurants and stores in Pinellas County.
I live close to Trinity, so it is the quiet area of Palm Harbor. Things to do, places to eat are in the hundreds around here. Sarasota is different?

Yes, 20-30 min to the beach. if Clearwater beach and you are running late, forget it. I take it is easier down there?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post

Thanks!
Jason
Sarasota has some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. Siesta beach was named #1 beach this year. We have hundreds and hundreds of all kinds of places to eat of all kinds in all price ranges. Lots of organic food shopping, Whole Foods, health stores, etc. Beautiful St. Armand's Circle and Lido Beach just over the bridge from downtown. Some of the best schools in the state. Lots of art, culture, artists, festivals, etc.

This is a beautiful place to live. Palm Harbor is nice, pretty and clean, but to
me there is too much sprawl and no defined downtown, unlike Sarasota which has a small but vibrant and very pretty downtown on the waterfront. Also, there is way too much congestion up around Palm Harbor for my taste. It is pretty easy to get around in Sarasota even in the "season."

Hope this helps and be sure to check out the many helpful and informative posts and blogs from SoFLGal here.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the details Gypsy

If I take a weekend trip down to the are with my family, any suggestions for areas for us to check out, aside the beach?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Are you looking for things to do, or neighborhoods? If neighborhoods, give some details on what you are looking for: price, new vs. historic, size, close to amenities, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Really both. Quiet areas. 20 min to beach or less. $200's, modern looking, 1500sqft + 3 bed, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
South Gate or the Gulf Gate areas might be a good place to start. It's less than 10 mins to the beach, close to shopping and in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area