U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM

15 posts, read 29,861 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are both 37 years old and we have 2 young boys (2 and a half and 1 year old)...we will be coming from NJ and are looking for very good schools, family environments, activities for us and the boys, etc...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,895,444 times
I would recommend looking at North Port, FL. You can go to their web site at www.cityofnorthport.com to read about the city and see the activities that are available for youth under the Living section. The median age is 38.7.

Here is the link to the Sarasota County Schools web site: Sarasota County Schools, Home

I would also recommend reading about the area in the local newspaper.
www.yoursun.com

City of North Port Quick Facts from their Web Site
Updated as of: Spring 2011
Population: 57,357 residents (2010 Census)
The City of North Port is the largest city in SarasotaCounty in both land mass and population.
Median resident age: 38.7 years

Estimated median household income in 2008:
NorthPort: $50,684
Per capita personal income: $24,162
Per capita property tax revenue: $202.00

Races in
NorthPort (2010 Census):
• White Non-Hispanic - 87.6%
• Black - 7%
• Hispanic - 8.7%
• Two or more races - 2.5%
• Other race - 1.5%
• American Indian - 0.4%

</SPAN>

Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,984,806 times
we are out of nj. have two kids. both did a little time in venice middle and now are off to venice high. our reason for being here is a long story. after the boys adjusted they love it here and say they would never go back. all the areas here are a bit different and have there own peculiarities. north port is an area that was planned for huge growth that got stunted with the economy down turn. you can find areas there and other towns around here that have 20 houses scattered in a subdivision for 300 houses. it is a bit spooky. there are some good deals to be had. the best way is to sell up there and rent down here. there are tons of rentals and now is the off season with fairly good prices. we ended up near the beach in north englewood area.

to the positive. the cost of living here is less than nj. gas is about 10 to 15 cents more a gallon. property taxes far less. car insurance about half. no state income tax. no need for winter heat. ac costs in the summer less cause electric is cheaper than nj. people are far nicer.

not to make it to rosy, there are some drawbacks. the older drivers are a challenge, but having driven in nj you have to be a pro at defensive driving. there are problems with oxy pill mills.

any other questions dm or ask here.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 AM

30 posts, read 93,168 times
My husband and I are moving also, from Cape Cod in July, we have done alot of research on school systems, and have visited the area many times. Finally we have settled on Englewood as a town to start in, and I agree with Gettinoutofjersey with renting first, which is what we are doing, we want to make sure we are in the correct neighborhood before we buy. We are staying out of Northport to begin with because, it is such a large area with a very diverse population, though the rents are cheaper there, we have heard some not so good things as well as some good things, but it is nerve racking enough to make this move, and I just had a bad feeling about ending up in the wrong neighborhood in North Port. I know there are many absolutely beautiful neighborhoods in North Port, so we will explore them after we move down, while we are looking for a place to buy. We are renting in the Rotunda, it is a deed restricted community, with it's own diversity, but I felt it was a safe bet to start out with. Many of the real estate agents I have talked with, live in the Rotunda with their families, and that alone told me alot about the kind of neighborhood it is. It is important to us that our children have a fun, safe environment to be in, especially as we are all getting used to the big move. Good Luck!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM

30 posts, read 93,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags View Post
my wife and i are both 37 years old and we have 2 young boys (2 and a half and 1 year old)...we will be coming from NJ and are looking for very good schools, family environments, activities for us and the boys, etc...
I have a thread in here, it is titled "Moving and need advice...Please Help", you should look at it, I got some very good info. on North Port and the Rotunda.
My mother, who lives in St.Petersburg, was also just telling me how good the school systems are in Sarasota, there is alot going on up there, it's a little to busy for me (too city, I'm a country girl), but might be right up your alley, it's a town that you might want to research.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM

5,651 posts, read 10,007,589 times
Lakewood Ranch, Heritage Harbour, Millcreek, Greyhawk Landing, and other East Manatee areas might also be worth looking into. All of the Lakewood Ranch schools are 'A' rated schools and there are plenty of family-oriented activities. You can learn more at www.LakewoodRanch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area