Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 AM

149 posts, read 324,812 times

Advertisements

They should have treated those soldiers like royalty.

I am so tired of airlines charging outrages fees for every little thing as if they were giving you five star service. And the people allow them to and continue to pay without even questioning.
I am sure they will some day start to charge for bathroom use.

Dear Greedy Delta airlines, I will convince all my friends not to use your airline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
I say everyone boycott Delta and see how they would do then . Yep all out boycott for delta .

Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,186 times
I never use them anyway , Virgin for long haul and Jet Blue on internals. However in support I boycott them too !!!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM

374 posts, read 940,143 times
According to the news, (after all the media attention) Delta has issued refunds and changed policy to allow military personnel to have an additional bag, so now they can take 4 bags with no additional cost/hassle.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 AM

493 posts, read 1,381,442 times
All the hype about what Delta is doing now is hogwash. Think of how many people had to pay or soldiers traveling to home who were not included in this debacle. No airline should have ever charged a military person a fee for anything. I'm sure the deal that was cut with the government is lucrative enough for them that they still make money transporting personel far and above what they deserve!

Delta is a day late and a dollar short of doing the right thing from the get go!

Another thing, regular passengers should not pay for bags either, period! Southwest does not charge for bags and their profit margins are still up! The other airlines are trying to make up for their lack of good management and leadership by padding their bottom lines with profits from baggage charges. They are shameless just like the oil companies!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,361 times
What happens when a soldier tries to board with 5 bags? I've been there and sometimes a buddy asks you to take something home for him when you go home. What about the little "homemade" gifts? Which ones do you leave behind? Maybe the one your bunkmate made the day before he was wounded? Things get lost or broken but I still have little "insignificant" gifts that were given to me, i.e. a drinking bowl, a piece of coral, some little carved animals.... Soldiers returning home have enough to think about without having to decide what to take and what to leave behind. And you don't always get orders right after payday, some soldiers don't have the money to pay for extra bags, or a set of headphones, or a meal; but as long as you are going home that's all that matters. Just one thing and I'll stop. One time on the way back to Fort Hood I saw 2 soldiers hitchhicking along I-35. Even tho they were wearing civilian clothes you couldn't miss the duffle bags and trunks. I stopped and gave them a ride. They had come into DFW and were told Fort Hood was not that far away, yet they couldn't find a bus going there. They took a cab as far as they had money to pay for it, they made it south of Burleson. They were fresh out of basic and AIT, they really needed a guiding hand. 'nough said.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM

374 posts, read 940,143 times
Hey I TOTALLY agree and have no fondness for Delta. I was just responding to what was essentially "old" news, since I saw this on TV last week or earlier.

I think soldiers' transportation home, ALL baggage included, should be provided at NO COST. After all, the military provided transportation TO a war/foreign country, they ought to provide transportation FROM.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,327,139 times
This never would have been an issue had Delta simply had a common-sense contract with the US Govt. which entailed NEVER billing the soldiers and simply billing the government for whatever overages were agreed to (if there needed to be such a charge at all.

I am a small business owner with only a couple dozen employees, and even I could figure this out. It makes me wonder how these imbeciles can be operating an airline or, a better question, three wars.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,770 times
delta apologized and put out a statement that they will compensate any soldiers that were charged extra. this is the equivelant of congressman weiner apologizing, now that it is news, "i'm sorry". if either were sorry they would nver have done it.

airlines have always had poor management. pretty similar to alot of companies. with the airlines they could and should make a profit, but it comes down to mismangement. instead of looking at how to do it more cost effectively they look to cut services and maintenance. look at jet blue and southwest. different management philosophy.

i dont agree with not being charged for a bag (civilians). if i dont take a bag with me which is quite often why should that be included in my fare. i dont expect to get any food since i would not or do not eat what they serve. i have no idea how long that sandwich or meal was sitting on the ramp in and unrefrigerated delivery van. nor do i know the conditions of the facility that made it. food poisoning is not pleasant. so give me the lowest price ticket for my seat as they can. want a drink, blanket, food, checked bag, that is your choice pay the extra.

if you think the service is bad you have no idea about the maintenance that you cannot see. alot of the airlines take the maintenance out of the country, to say china or south america. there the labor rate is very cheap. here in the us a mechanic has to have a airframe and powerplant license to sign off work. there are some exceptions in a service center. but overseas there is little over site.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,327,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
delta apologized and put out a statement that they will compensate any soldiers that were charged extra. this is the equivelant of congressman weiner apologizing, now that it is news, "i'm sorry". if either were sorry they would nver have done it.

airlines have always had poor management. pretty similar to alot of companies. with the airlines they could and should make a profit, but it comes down to mismangement. instead of looking at how to do it more cost effectively they look to cut services and maintenance. look at jet blue and southwest. different management philosophy.

i dont agree with not being charged for a bag (civilians). if i dont take a bag with me which is quite often why should that be included in my fare. i dont expect to get any food since i would not or do not eat what they serve. i have no idea how long that sandwich or meal was sitting on the ramp in and unrefrigerated delivery van. nor do i know the conditions of the facility that made it. food poisoning is not pleasant. so give me the lowest price ticket for my seat as they can. want a drink, blanket, food, checked bag, that is your choice pay the extra.

if you think the service is bad you have no idea about the maintenance that you cannot see. alot of the airlines take the maintenance out of the country, to say china or south america. there the labor rate is very cheap. here in the us a mechanic has to have a airframe and powerplant license to sign off work. there are some exceptions in a service center. but overseas there is little over site.
Awesome post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area