Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,871,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm not saying that they have the right to call and harass you, just that the do not call list doesn't apply to them. Trust me, It annoys me as much as anyone when these call looking for someone that doesn't live here.

Luckily I use a VOIP phone system for our home number, and we can block calls. They only get through once!
How does it work if they call from some kind of switchboard where the number that comes through changes all the time? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
How does it work if they call from some kind of switchboard where the number that comes through changes all the time? Just curious...
I can't do much about those, but eventually they run out of numbers! You can completely block unavailable or blocked caller id numbers so that helps. The nice thing is that the entire management system is web based, so you can ignore calls that you don't recognize, and then block them from the web later. You can also put any number into Google and generally find out if it's a solicitor, collection company, etc.

The company that I use is Ring Central. It's actually a business PBX that I use for my business numbers and fax, but I added our home number to the account as well.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,871,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I can't do much about those, but eventually they run out of numbers! You can completely block unavailable or blocked caller id numbers so that helps. The nice thing is that the entire management system is web based, so you can ignore calls that you don't recognize, and then block them from the web later. You can also put any number into Google and generally find out if it's a solicitor, collection company, etc.

The company that I use is Ring Central. It's actually a business PBX that I use for my business numbers and fax, but I added our home number to the account as well.

That's good to know. I think I got rid of my buddy, wrong number bill collector...for now.

I was talking with my oldest about this and she said that she must have gotten someone else's cell phone number again because she keeps getting calls for a guy named Michael. People keep calling trying to confirm appointments and girls keep calling him. She said she's been "having fun with it". I can only imagine.

It seems as though cell phone companies must reissue numbers after they're disconnected.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That's good to know. I think I got rid of my buddy, wrong number bill collector...for now.

I was talking with my oldest about this and she said that she must have gotten someone else's cell phone number again because she keeps getting calls for a guy named Michael. People keep calling trying to confirm appointments and girls keep calling him. She said she's been "having fun with it". I can only imagine.

It seems as though cell phone companies must reissue numbers after they're disconnected.
One of my sons has a number like that. He's had it for at least 3 years but still gets calls asking for other people, and people calling and speaking in Spanish.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,512,889 times
The thing about this is if you are unfortunate enough to get assigned a 'bad' phone number from the phone company - there will usually be many more than just one collection agency calling. These phone numbers are attached to various accounts that collection agencies purchase - and they get recycled over and over through various agencies. I would be willing to bet that some of these debts/accounts are many years old. The collectors might even have a doubt on if a phone number is valid - but the easiest thing for the collector to do is just bombard the heck out of the phone number listed with the account. In a sense collectors are scum - they have no regard about calling wrong numbers and disturbing people. It's just the laziest best chance they have to recover money on a past due account - (pound the number that came with account file). I have found that once I tell an agency they have the wrong number - that particular agency will stop calling. (However one agency stopped for a few months and then started calling again.) I wish there was some kind of law or big fine - that would make these lazy inconsiderate scum validate that they are dialing the correct number BEFORE they call. But their response is usually (well this was the number listed with the account) - which is BS really because some of these accounts are many years old.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM

70 posts, read 216,506 times
Usually when I say, "This is a business", they hang up and stop calling. But those that don't stop eventually catch me in a bad mood. That's when I put on my deepest voice and ask them what they're wearing.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 988 times
My ? is a little different... Not a collector but an insurance company -

I am assuming the company calling me is an insurance company and I am asking you if there is a line of harassment or excessively calling.

If this is an agency that is now trying to charge me $500 for a person's car that I "rolled" backwards and into - at a speed not registrable on the odometer, from a complete stop and 10sec to roll over maybe 3-6 inches, they will have to chill out I will call IF they'd even leave a message. I am not avoiding them per se, I gave them my attention, communication and thoughts exclusively 3 months ago.No I am getting 10 calls a day from the same number (I do not have bad debt) and it is irritating the crap out of me. I am simply never near my phone - I am an college student that tries to avoid email and phones at all costs (except right now of course) unless on a break. Technology is to advanced for my own comfort these days.

Anyway I am not trying to get one over, but I am trying to finish my Ivy career with a bang thus I was available for them and they knew it well and now if they'd leave a message at least I could estimate how long it will take and put it in a part of my day that is least interrupted for that allotted time and for something like that.

So are there any limitations before I pick this phone up and take the frustration out an innocent operator stationed in India?

PS After the accident both of us pulled over, got out of the car and looked at hers. I did not even know I hit her she wasn't sure either. When we looked at her car I said "oh wow, umm do you even know if there is new damage?" She giggled and said no maybe over here maybe over there. And I asked, do you even know if I came in contact with your car? Because I did not think I hit you" Her first response I Sh** you not - Ha I am not really sure.

That has nothing to do with the calls every 30-60 minutes it just adds to my frustration...

sorry so long thanks for looking and hold the smart comments about I could've called them already. I know that! BUT I wanted to ask first anyway?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,683,961 times
well, now that you're trying to finish your education maybe you'll learn another lesson: no matter how small a contact between two cars, take the other person's info, AND call the police immediately so there is a report made. Carry a disposable camera with you if you don't have a camera in your phone and take pictures immediately.

If there is no damage visible, get the other person to sign a statement to that effect, in duplicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area