Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:47 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know, the Sarasota Association of Realtors puts out a monthly analysis of the previous month's activity and then tries to put that information into perspective compared to previous months and years. I think the most interesting tidbit is that the total available property inventory dropped to 5,010 for May, a big decrease from April's level of 5,258, and once again the lowest level in the past six years. The inventory reached its apex in April 2007, when 17,089 properties were on the market.

Complete report and stats: http://www.sarasotarealtors.com/file...1061413528.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
For those who don't know, the Sarasota Association of Realtors puts out a monthly analysis of the previous month's activity and then tries to put that information into perspective compared to previous months and years. I think the most interesting tidbit is that the total available property inventory dropped to 5,010 for May, a big decrease from April's level of 5,258, and once again the lowest level in the past six years. The inventory reached its apex in April 2007, when 17,089 properties were on the market.

Complete report and stats: http://www.sarasotarealtors.com/file...1061413528.pdf

I think it will remain low for the next 6 months as well. Now, this means there are going to be some tough belt tightening for everyone in the real estate market while the market makes it through the on-coming adjustments. It will likely be very difficult for many people out there.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
The inventory is getting very low. I have many people who can't find what are looking for and are electing the build. We are starting to see prices inch up slightly in many areas.

The inventory of single family homes in North Port has been hovering at 600 for a year or two. It's now down to 436 and dropping pretty fast each day.

There are very few bank owned homes going on the market as well. I mentioned this on a different thread a few days ago and I'll mention it here as well. I spoke with many, many banks a few days ago and they all said that there will be no "big dump" of properties toward the end of the year. They tell me that they just don't have the judges, attorneys, asset manages, etc to deal with something like that. They say that the properties will continue to trickle out at the pace they've been--maybe slower. I think that remains to be seen.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
how much of that reduction is because BoA and some other banks/mortgage companies are in hot water with the Feds over how they screwed the pooch on foreclosures in the past

voluntarily withdrawing or withholding eligible properties from the market is not the same as not having any to put IN the market

Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
how much of that reduction is because BoA and some other banks/mortgage companies are in hot water with the Feds over how they screwed the pooch on foreclosures in the past

voluntarily withdrawing or withholding eligible properties from the market is not the same as not having any to put IN the market
From what I understand and from looking at the upcoming reports it looks like right now there aren't many properties coming on. Not because they are withholding them, there just aren't very many currently.

What I was speaking of is the anticipation of a large amount of properties toward the end of the year. They say they can only work through them at a certain pace and have the manpower to deal with them. I know they can handle way more properties then what is currently coming on and from my work list it looks like at least through August there's not going to be a lot of bank owned homes coming on.

I think there's a lot of contributing factors to the slow down. One of the biggest, IMO is still all the properties tied up with the robo signing debacle.

So, here's the way I see it. Right now they are putting all of the properties on the market that they are getting. At the and of the year there might be some kind of "hold back". It's hard to tell until we get closer to that period. Probably by August I should have more answers out of my asset managers at the banks.

Again, this is just chatter but it seems to be somewhat accurate looking at my upcoming job list. By no means do I think we're out of the woods, yet though.

Here's an article that ran this morning:
Real estate sales remain strong in Sarasota as prices rise | June 14, 2011 | Michael Braga | Inside Real Estate Inside Real Estate

Just noticed this is what BB posted above. Looks like the Herald just reposted it

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-14-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
We're waiting patiently, like the experts on here advised. Would like to find the perfect home for us now, but ahh well....

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM

I belong to a Facebook chat group for local Realtors who list bank owned properties in the area. It's kind of a think tank and place for everyone to chat. Thought this was kind of an interesting comment posted today by one of the local Realtors:

So, out of curiosity, I asked my bank asset manager today if they were experiencing this enthusiasm across the state for vacant lots, or if it was just this area, (he covers the whole state of Florida for lots) and was told that it WAS mainly this area and the immediate surrounding areas that has had the most offers on vacant lots across the state.

Funny thing is we have the person buying up all of her bank owned lots. Our buyer is purchasing them and turning right around and selling them for more money.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
As of March of 2011, a reported 322,724 foreclosure cases were backlogged in the FL courts system, with over 9% of the FL foreclosure cases in Palm Beach county. I read an article this week in which the Palm Beach county courts have stated they will stop hearing foreclosure trials as of July 1st of this year due to lack of funds. The state legislature appropriated additional funds for 2010 to help county courts cover the additional costs associated with the huge number of foreclosure cases, but they failed to provide additional funds this year.

Foreclosure cases in FL are now taking an average of 619 days from start to finish, up from 470 days last year and nearly four times the average of 169 days it took in 2007, according to a recent report from RealtyTrac.

There is also an increase in the number of loans in foreclosure that are being pulled from the dockets because the lender cannot produce the required promissory note. Judges are now saying no note, no foreclosure. The lenders are then forced to go back and attempt to negotiate loan modifications, allow a short sale, or as in the case of a home in my subdivision, the borrower is basically living in the home for free as the bank can't find the note and the borrower refuses to cooperate with the bank on a modification or short sale. The bank is paying the property taxes and insurance on the home, and we other homeowners are covering the cost of the delinquent HOA fees.

If the courts cannot afford to process the foreclosures, then we may see short sales coming more into play as a means to clear out the backlog. Which brings me to Bank of America's and Wells Fargo's new short sale addendums. But that's a can of worms to open in another post.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Here's a letter from David Stern's office who was in the middle of the robo signing mess to the head judge in Sarasota county dealing with the foreclosures, Judge Hayworth. I think this is part of what my asset managers are referring to.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 PM

Here's another article that pretty much says what I was saying above. They're coming through but not in large numbers right now. These articles back up what the asset managers have been saying to me. Basically, they don't have the staff to handle a huge amount of cases. They are carefully reviewing each case so they don't get tagged again:

Courts still clogged with foreclosure cases - WWSB ABC 7 Florida (http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/local/story/Courts-still-clogged-with-foreclosure-cases/CxP9HOyJSkKj95FGzyNdiQ.cspx - broken link)

Last year the state legislature tried to help clear the backlog. It gave the 12th Circuit Court $212,000 just for foreclosures. “With that money we had four case managers and recalled three senior judges dedicated solely to foreclosure reduction assistance,” says Judge Haworth.

But that money runs out in June. Judge Haworth's court still has 17,000 cases unresolved. Meanwhile, the legislature is taking a hatchet to the budget. Among all the state's needs, how does money for a foreclosure court fit?

-------------------
And yet another article quoting Haworth: http://www.mysuncoast.com/mostpopular/story/Is-dip-in-foreclosure-rates-a-sign-of-improved/AGf7MYsqFkysMDqQifsaVw.cspx (broken link)

Foreclosure rates dropped dramatically in Florida last month. Could this mark a turnaround in the Suncoast real estate market?

But don't get too excited, says Judge Lee Haworth. “We're in this pause period. We expect a new wave of foreclosures.”

Haworth, the chief judge of the 12th Circuit Court, which handles most Suncoast foreclosure cases, says the weather looks good in the eye of a hurricane too. The storm is not over, merely interrupted by paperwork problems. “New attorneys are on the cases, and they're taking more time.”

But Florida has improved, compared to other states. Last year the top 20 metropolitan areas in the country for foreclosures included nine from Florida. So far this year, the state has none of the top twenty.

Robbins believes the market has reached its bottom, but that her profession for 37 years remains a challenge. “It's much harder now and more work than it was a few years ago.”

Judge Haworth says that the next wave of foreclosures could get worse if state money that pays for three senior judges devoted just to foreclosure cases runs out as scheduled in June. He says there's a backlog now of 17,000 cases -- and that's with the extra help.

---------------------------
And here's the article quoted by SunshineRules: http://www.usatoday.com/MONEY/usaedi...sures_ST_U.htm

Florida foreclosures averaged 619 days in the first quarter vs. 470 a year ago. Cases stalled after some law firms' foreclosure work came under investigation and replacements had to be found.

The substitutions are just "trickling in" for law firms hit by the controversy, says Circuit Court Judge Lee Haworth in Sarasota, Fla. He also suspects that new firms are "scrubbing" foreclosure paperwork more than previous firms and may be starting over on some.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-14-2011 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area