Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM

8,241 posts, read 4,660,305 times

Advertisements

Gosh these new meters seem to be kind of complicated to use - they have 'attendants' stationed downtown to explain to people how to use the meters. $1 per hour is not good. Now it's kind of looking like the new meters are on the way out. Too bad Sarasota wasted $500,000 on the parking meters. Are Sarasota parking meters on their way out? | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 PM

64 posts, read 117,565 times
From what I was told when I visited, shop owners/employees were hogging the spots all day which hurt business. They probably needed a 2 hr limit and enforce it if that is possible.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
If the business people of Main St think that only parking meters at $1 an hour are scaring away customers, they might also want to look into a few other things. How about roundabouts, 3 and 4 way stop signs at intersections that don't need them, speed bumps/tables, traffic calming bump outs, surveillance cameras [one of 43] watching people eat lunch [Sarasota PD] As noted in the Sarasota Observer 'A camera at Selby Five Points Park can shoot an image clear enough to identify people dining outside at Main St and Lemon Av'. And how much will business drop off when the 11 revenue cameras on traffic lights are installed in December.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 AM

209 posts, read 452,592 times
Your post was quite timely. Just read the front page article today. I am glad that City Govt. appears that it can at least admit they did something wrong and change it.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
The meters would not have been so bad - most downtowns have them - but they are WAY too expensive, and complicated to use. $1.00 per hour? who wants to go downtown for a leisurely meal and have to worry about the meters - I don't. And then there are those "pay stations" you have to find.

As far as the roundabout, it's beautiful and everyone I know considers it a real asset. That five points was a mess before, and very dangerous. I love it now. But the meters as they are are really killing business.

Article today: Sarasota may bag its downtown parking meters | HeraldTribune.com

Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Gosh these new meters seem to be kind of complicated to use - they have 'attendants' stationed downtown to explain to people how to use the meters. $1 per hour is not good. Now it's kind of looking like the new meters are on the way out. Too bad Sarasota wasted $500,000 on the parking meters. Are Sarasota parking meters on their way out? | HeraldTribune.com

they are NOT complicated lol All you do is plug in your spot number and stick your card in - that's ALL you do! lol How is that complicated?!?

I don't mind paying for a spot but today I was downtown, the streets were totally empty and I payed $2 for 2 hrs. eh, if i new the area better I could've found a free spot. not a big deal either way.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The meters would not have been so bad - most downtowns have them - but they are WAY too expensive, and complicated to use. $1.00 per hour? who wants to go downtown for a leisurely meal and have to worry about the meters - I don't. And then there are those "pay stations" you have to find.

As far as the roundabout, it's beautiful and everyone I know considers it a real asset. That five points was a mess before, and very dangerous. I love it now. But the meters as they are are really killing business.

Article today: Sarasota may bag its downtown parking meters | HeraldTribune.com
i think it's way easier than others i've used. in Philadelphia you have to pay per 15 min then put the reciept on your dash. In NYC you have to use complex math & backwards logic to figure out which spot is legal then you get towed anyway. I think this SRQ toll system is a breeze and I love that I don't need to worry about having change.

I think a buck is ok for an hour. Maybe they should have seasonal uses though, like weekdays off season are free? because it seemed silly to pay $2 this morning on an empty street this morning!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
i think it's way easier than others i've used. in Philadelphia you have to pay per 15 min then put the reciept on your dash. In NYC you have to use complex math & backwards logic to figure out which spot is legal then you get towed anyway. I think this SRQ toll system is a breeze and I love that I don't need to worry about having change.

I think a buck is ok for an hour. Maybe they should have seasonal uses though, like weekdays off season are free? because it seemed silly to pay $2 this morning on an empty street this morning!
Well, apparently a lot don't agree with you, since downtown is becoming a ghost town according to those business owners. I know it's not really "complicated" per se, but it sure will be a shock to our visitors come season. One of the bigger issues are the "pay stations" that can go unnoticed - I see people getting warnings right and left.

Personally, I don't go downtown that much myself, so doesn't matter to me either way.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM

571 posts, read 790,867 times
I've been biting my tongue abit since I discovered these forums, trying to restrain myself from ranting about this entitlement issue that Sarasotans seem to have because I know it would probably upset some people. But this is just a perfect example of it.

For a town that wants to be considered an arts destination with a cosmopolitan feel, Sarasota can be as backwards as it gets. I worked in a restaurant on Main St. for years and almost every customer that dined there during the high season complained about the parking situation. Keep in mind that none of these people had to walk more than two blocks from there cars, they were just perturbed that they couldn't park directly in front of the restaurant. THERE NEVER WAS A PARKING ISSUE.

These same people complained to the city, and lobbied for something to be done. The city built a huge parking garage and installed meters that would make it easier for people to park closer to their destinations. Now these same people are boycotting Main St., in effect, punishing local businesses for something the city decided to do at their own behest. It makes no sense. This wouldn't be any kind of an issue for any other city but Sarasota, a place where people love nothing more than to take their proverbial ball and go home. People really can't afford a dollar to park? How about parking, literally, 3 or 4 blocks noth or south of Main, where it's still free. If you don't wanna deal with parking, move to Parrish or North Port.

People won't be satisfied until the city finds a way to allow inside to park INSIDE their favorite downtown businesses, and even then they'll complain.

Having said all, it was stupid of the city to install these things during the dead of Summer and I do feel for the business owners. Although, if your business is gonna fold up like a cheap umbrella because people don't want to pay a dollar or park a few blocks away to support you, maybe your business kinda sucks anyway.

Now they might scrap the whole thing and call it a wash, several years, and $600,000 later instead of making it work by lowering the fee and/or making parking free at certain times. Typical Sarasota.

Last edited by punkfan39126; 06-23-2011 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
How about parking, literally, a block noth or south of Main, where it's still free.
yeah, i didn't know and i didn't mind paying. i am probably suffering from post-traumatic-parking-stress-disorder from living in NY my whole life because i don't see the big deal. i was meeting people at C'est La Vie. I had a perrier, cup of chamomile tea and an apple turnover - with parking my whole morning cost $10. Factor it into your price for whatever you are doing. It's not like paying $30 in a parking garage.

It must really be annoying to be a shop owner in SRQ, dealing with the seasonal folk and oldies. I can't imagine.

how much does that parking garage cost anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area