U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,917 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wanting to move from Louisville, KY to Sarasota, FL within the next few months. I will be making the move alone, well with my furry best friend! I have a few questions about the area as I am in my late 20's, single, and very eager to land an excellent career. I would like to have someone help me with the following areas please:
1. Job market for younger professionals in the Employee Benefits/Insurance or Account Mgr field
2. Best areas to live, on the safer side for a single woman to live alone.
3. Single/Dating scene, what can anyone tell me about this?
4. Lastly, is there an area I can take my dog on the beach?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,067,349 times
Hi,

I can help you with some of your questions.

1) jobs - I used to work in Employee Benefits in the 90's and still stay in touch now and then with some previous contacts. The number of companies hiring in that field has dropped substantially in the past 10 years, many of those I know that used to work in Benefits have moved into other fields. You may have more opportunities in Accounting. If I were you, I'd start checking into jobs before you move and it would also be a good idea to have some money saved up so you don't have to go into panic mode if it takes a couple of months to find something once you're here.

2) Are you looking for a rental home or apartment? What size is your dog? What breed of dog? Many apartment complexes have size/weight and breed limits if they allow pets. What monthly rental rate are you looking for? Once we have that information it is easier to help you with location of complexes that may work for you in neighborhoods you may like.

3) Can't help you with the dating info as I've been married for a looooong time. There are some others that frequent this board that can probably help you with that question.

4) Pet friendly parks and beaches.

The only "beach" area that I know around here that allows dogs is the Bird Key Park on the John Ringling Causeway, just past the bridge as you head towards St. Armands Circle.

You might also try the Ken Thompson Park at 1700 Ken Thompson Pkwy on City Island, by Mote Marine. It's not exactly the type of beach you're probably thinking of but there is sand and it's on the bay.

There's also the Bay Front Park next to Marina Jack at US41 & Ringling. Again, no beach, but there are lots of sidewalks and great view of the bay.

There are other dog parks in our area that are not near a beach that you and your dog can enjoy together:
Red Bug Slough Preserve, 5200 Beneva Road near Clark Rd
Sarasota Paw Park, 4570 17th St in north Sarasota
Arlington Park, 2650 Waldemere, west of Tuttle - dogs are allowed on the trails only

Most of these parks do require your dog to be on a leash, although a couple do say leash or under voice control.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Thank you Sunshine Rules!I for sure will be making several trips to back and forth for interviews as I save as much as possible if that senario doesn't work and like you metioned need to be off for a few months. I have a 3 yr old 50lb. Siberian Husky(very well behaved). I would love to buy a home as I have searched the market and there are so many great homes with pools, a major plus for me and my dog as he loves to swim. However, I will most likely be renting for the first 6 mon to a year in the $700-$850 price range.
I really would love to be relocated by the fall so any ideas on if you know anyone needing an experience account manager from your previous days in Employee Benefits would be great as I really love and excell in this field. But I will head your advise and look into other areas as this is a smaller market in the area.
I have never went somewhere on vacation and fell in love with the area so much I am ready to uproot but since my 2 year search of places I have found the place I belong in Sarasota! Thank you again!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,562,609 times
If you're looking for a great dog beach then you might want to check out Brohard Beach in Venice. It's the only beach are in the county where dogs are allowed to roam free. The park features an enclosed run for big dogs and one for small dogs, as well as an open beach area where dogs can swim. Brohard Park is located in the southern most part of the City of Venice, by the Venice Airport property on Harbor Drive.

If you enjoy fishing, there's a 740 foot fishing pier on the property for public use. The fishing pier is a great spot to watch the sunset.

Also located at the park is Sharky's Restaurant and the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center. The wetland area is known for bird watching. There are no lifeguards on duty though.

There is a fenced area, a dune walkover, a drinking fountain and showers for dogs and fire hydrants and leash posts. A 300 foot section of beach is a dog beach for dogs and their owners. I really like the dog wash area with wooden platforms to clean the dogs on. It's great to be able to wash the dogs right up after the beach and put them in the car all cleaned.

South Brohard park is by far the best dog-friendly beach in Southwest Florida, IMO. Definitely worth the drive from Sarasota. Here's a link to my pups playing on Brohard: //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...dog-beach.html

After the dog beach we always stop by Ophelia's in Nokomis. They have special doggie dining out on the porch. It's $1.75 for a breast of chicken and a big bucket of water for the doggies. They love going there after a good romp at the beach!

Ladywithafan is probably the best person to ask about the nightlife scene. There are a few decent bars on Main St. The Gator Club is OK. Then if you travel out onto Siesta I'd recommend checking out The Beach Club or The Daiquiri Deck. On Sunday nights The Beach Club has a pretty good reggae band that plays called Democracy. Also on Siesta around sunset on Sundays is the drum circle. It's an interesting thing to check out if you've never been. You might also want to check out the website www.meetup.com until you meet people in the area. There are many group, etc on that website so if you're into a certain thing you can always find others on that website who are into the same thing.

Looking at your rental range I think it might be pretty tough to find anything in the Sarasota area. Having a dog is also going to limit the possibilities down. Many rentals will also require a pet deposit of some kind. You might have to travel a bit south into Venice or North Port to find anything that fits your needs. The only problem with that is the is really no nightlife in North Port and the average age in Venice is 68. Probably not the best choices for a younger single gal. Also you will not have near as many employment opportunities in these areas.

I think you'll have to weigh things out and see the areas for yourself. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-28-2011 at 12:49 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM

52 posts, read 103,657 times
If you're looking for an apt for your short term rental, then I would check into TimberChase. It's within a short driving distance to downtown and Sarasota Memorial Hospital (check out their website for jobs relating to yours. They are always posting something new.) As for the apt, I think their 2/2 is going for about $730 to $750 for a year lease. If you're looking for something more short term, I'm sure you could get a 1/1 on a month to month in your price range. They do allow big dogs and I'm pretty sure your breed isn't on their "do not allow" list. Those are primarily what are to be considered as "aggresive" breeds. Best of luck!

P.S. When it comes to apts, don't trust their prices online because they are ALWAYS running specials. Your best bet is to narrow some down to what you're looking for, and give them a call. Chances are the rent will be much less. The TimberChase apts are priced at market value for $899 usually for the 2/2 and they are renting for less than that (see above)

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM

121 posts, read 334,012 times
Just to get a feel of what you're looking for...What other areas have you researched over the past two years? What did they not have? What kind of social life are you seeking? How many times have you been to this area on vacation to get a good enough feel of what it would be like to Live here VS Vacation here? Sometimes just a feeling is all you need.....I totally get it! that "feeling" happened to me many years ago (13yrs) when I moved to Charleston from Sarasota after only one visit...so it turned out to be the right place at that point in my life for me and I have never reget it!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Hi Jld3072- I am glad to hear the vote of confidence on moving. I have been toying with the idea and was reluctant to leave my safety net so planning my vacation I made sure I stayed long enough to see if this would be the place for me and of course it feels my head matches my heart now! My friend has a couple family members that live in Sarasota since the 70's and they left from Louisville, KY as well and never looked back. They have given me a couple areas to stay out of like North of the 301 but other than this I have been on my own. I've heard that the downtown area is may be more my style with local pubs and a music scene?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,176,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes29 View Post
Hello,

I am wanting to move from Louisville, KY to Sarasota, FL within the next few months. I will be making the move alone, well with my furry best friend! I have a few questions about the area as I am in my late 20's, single, and very eager to land an excellent career. I would like to have someone help me with the following areas please:
1. Job market for younger professionals in the Employee Benefits/Insurance or Account Mgr field
2. Best areas to live, on the safer side for a single woman to live alone.
3. Single/Dating scene, what can anyone tell me about this?
4. Lastly, is there an area I can take my dog on the beach?

Thanks so much!

I volunteer for #2 (except for the live alone part - not a chance) and #3!!
I'll move the wife down the hall!
Just Kidding! Welcome to the board!

You'll make friends fast, and the people on this board are always helpful!!
See, how we help, now you only have two things left on your list. . .

Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM

3,975 posts, read 6,067,349 times
You might be able to find a small home to rent in the Sarasota Springs - Brentford - Ridgewood area of Sarasota, which is McIntosh just north of Bee Ridge, where you would feel comfortable renting.

Another small area you may like is South Gate Ridge, which is just south of Bee Ridge and east of Beneva Road. The only downside of that neighborhoods is that some of the homes are on septic tanks, so you have to be more careful about what you flush.

Most landlords that will rent to dog owners will charge you an extra deposit up front. Since your husky is not on the standard list of agressive dogs for insurance purposes, you may be able to find a small home to rent with some research.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to Sarasota.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM

15 posts, read 21,994 times
I know Bermuda Estates (apartments) right off of McIntosh will accept dogs, even some of the "aggressive" breeds. Moving there myself the end of July and I have a 2 year old German Shepherd. Not sure how close that is to all the "happening" stuff though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area