U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 9,418 times

Advertisements

Where should we rent in South Tampa?
Thanks for the great information everyone is supplying on this site. I have lived in Tampa my entire life. My wife and I are turning 30, but we are not the average 30 year old couple, not that 30 is old or anything. We have no kids, nor want any. We live a very active lifestyle, and like to live on the go.

We want to be able to walk to bars/nightlife. We are looking to rent in Sarasota; someplace pretty nice. We will be looking to spend between 1500 and 2000 a month. We visited my brother in law this weekend and fell in love with his luxury condo living near lake Eola in downtown Orlando. We decided we are going to downsize from our house to a nice apartment/condo in Sarasota.

What do you guys recommend? We can mix in well with 20 something's or 40 something's and up. We just want to be able to walk to bars, farmers markets, etc. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are going to sign a lease in the next few weeks, as we finally sold our house. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,313,691 times
If you're looking for nightlife then you definitely need to be close to Main St in Sarasota. Also known as the Southside Village area. There's always something going on in the downtown area. This weekend is the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix races and party. Then there's the Vinyl Music Fest and a few months ago was The Chalk Festival.

Southside Village, which is the area west of US 41 and just of Main St and north of Siesta Dr. It's also close to the hospital. Right over the bridge is Siesta Key Beach or if you go over the John Ringling Bridge you have Lido Beach and St Armand's Circle. It's also very close to Mote Marine, Selby Gardens, Jungle Gardens are all within minutes of downtown. Every Saturday they have the downtown Farmers Market. Then there's the Hollywood20 Movie theater and The Burns Court Cinema, which has some really cool foreign films. Burns Court and Towles Court are neat little villages that are great to spend the afternoon catching a bite to eat or doing a little shopping. Selby Library is a fantastic library right in the heart of downtown. A great little organic grocery store is Morton's Gourmet Market, Southside Village, Sarasota, Florida. Marina Jack’s is always great for an afternoon out, a picnic under the trees or a leisurely walk by the bay Welcome to Marina Jack.

Good luck with your search

Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,418 times
Thanks so much for the great info. It sounds like Southside Village is a good choice for us. Do you have any condo/apartment complexes that you could recommend that are in a close proximity? Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM

A few places to check out that might be in your range are Embassy House on Palm Ave, Palm Place on South Palm, Hudson Oaks on Alderman St. and The Burns Court Villas on Oak St & Palm.

There are a few on www.myfloridahomesmls.com

Here's one I spotted on CL: West of the Trail, Mandarin Park (http://sarasota.craigslist.org/apa/2455463791.html - broken link) I lived on Pomelo Ave, a few streets from here and it was great. It's a bit over the range you're looking in but you might be able to talk them down a bit if you are looking in "off season".

Here's another one that's in the same general area: Best Location west of trail 3 bedroom (http://sarasota.craigslist.org/apa/2428801079.html - broken link)

and another: West of Trail (http://sarasota.craigslist.org/apa/2424023635.html - broken link)

and another: West of Trail 3/2 house (http://sarasota.craigslist.org/apa/2403848803.html - broken link)

If you're cruising CL just make sure the owner is not in foreclosure. To do this go here: Sarasota Cnty Property Appraiser look under "property search" and then "real property". Type in the address of the home. Once you have the owners name(s) look them up on the clerk of the court website and make sure they don't have a lis pendens (pre foreclosure) on the property. SARASOTA : Clerk of Circuit Court & County Comptroller Look under "online services", then "official records" then scroll to the bottom of the page and do the "I agree" paragraph and then type the owners name in. This should help you avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Another helpful tool is Google Maps. You can pull up an address and then click on "street view" and literally "walk" down the street. It's pretty cool, especially when doing an initial check of a neighborhood.

Here's a list of a few west of the trail/Southside neighborhoods:

Hyde Park
Hartland Park
Poinsettia Park
Floyd & Cameron
Riverwood Park
Ridgewood
Granada
Laurel Park
Bayview
McClellan Park
Oyster Bay Estates
Bungalow Hill
Aqualane Estates
Graham Heights
Burns Court
Hartsdale
Cherokee Park
Badger Heights
Paradise Shores
San Remo Estates
Harbor Acres
Avondale
Mandarin Park
Morton Terrace

Good luck with it and I hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 AM

16,224 posts, read 34,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscotta View Post
Where should we rent in South Tampa?
Thanks for the great information everyone is supplying on this site. I have lived in Tampa my entire life. My wife and I are turning 30, but we are not the average 30 year old couple, not that 30 is old or anything. We have no kids, nor want any. We live a very active lifestyle, and like to live on the go.

We want to be able to walk to bars/nightlife. We are looking to rent in Sarasota; someplace pretty nice. We will be looking to spend between 1500 and 2000 a month. We visited my brother in law this weekend and fell in love with his luxury condo living near lake Eola in downtown Orlando. We decided we are going to downsize from our house to a nice apartment/condo in Sarasota.

What do you guys recommend? We can mix in well with 20 something's or 40 something's and up. We just want to be able to walk to bars, farmers markets, etc. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are going to sign a lease in the next few weeks, as we finally sold our house. Thank you in advance!
You might check right downtown or Laurel Park if you really want to be able to walk to all that. Also check Palm Avenue and Burns Court area. I don't consider Southside village to be walkable to downtown, it's a mile or more south of the main downtown entertainment district; although it does have a few restaurants right there and it is a beautiful area. You should come down and look around and see what you think suits your needs, in your price range finding a great place should not be an issue.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 AM

385 posts, read 1,074,566 times
I think Soflgal may have missed part of your post because she is familiar with the area but I don't agree with her recommendation. Southside Village is not really "downtown". While it is in the city of Sarasota, I would not consider walking that far back from the farmers market or any type of shopping trip downtown (unless of course you like those cute little carts you see seniors pulling their shopping bags in . Especially would not consider it after a nice night of dinner and drinks, unless your wife packs her Nike's and some reflective clothing in her purse. And since you are looking for luxury condo living, Southside Village is probably not for you. It's a lovely established family neighborhood with mostly single family homes. There are two condo complexes I know of south of 41 a short distance from Southside Village, but they are older with one consisting of a mainly snowbird or retiree population. You would still need to cross US41 and walk to downtown from either. Stick to downtown and you will surely find something that fits the lifestyle you are after.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM

I was trying to get them as close to down as possible in their price range. I suggested Southside as well as many west of the trail neighborhoods. I don't do rentals but I suspect most of the newer/ luxury condos are running around $4k to rent, which is way over budget. That's why I included some links to a few that were in their range. Burns Court Villas would probably be good but I think they are running $3k +

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM

If you take my first CL example on Holly Fern and map it to Morton's Market it's .06 miles. That's not a bad walking distance, IMO. If you map the same address to Main St it's 1 mile. Again, to me that's no too bad. Especially if you take a bike.

I just looked in the MLS and did a 1/2 mile radius from downtown and came up with 31 properties. The average rental rate of those properties was $3,900 (in "off season"). Looks like Burns Court Villas are running $3,750+. You could get into 1350 Main building for 6 months for $2500 and then in the winter time they raise the rates to $4500. There is one 1/1 for $2500 in 1350 Main but I'm guessing they'd raise the rate to around $4k come season. Many of the downtown condos have "off season" and "on season" rates.

So, the way I see it is that you could either go a little farther south into Southside and get something more in your range or you pay more for rent.

Ladywithafan lives downtown and might be able to give out some more ideas or might know of something that fits the bill since she lives in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area