Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times

Advertisements

anyone got good recommendations for cleaning a deck ? ours needs a wash off -its mainly dirt with a couple of surface rust stains. just worried about using detergents in case it messes with the pool water

dont think a jet wash will quite do it on its own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
get one of those electric power washers from lowes for a hundred bucks. you would be surprised what they will get off. may need some other cleaner or bleach to go along with it. then when you are done you have the power washer for less than what you would pay someone. easy to do. power washer in one hand, beer in the other.

maybe see if a neighbor or friend has one of the electric power washers to try and see if it does it before you buy it to do the whole job.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
I powerwash my concrete patio once a week. Only takes 30 min, but it looks like new everytime!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
anyone got good recommendations for cleaning a deck ? ours needs a wash off -its mainly dirt with a couple of surface rust stains. just worried about using detergents in case it messes with the pool water

Hey Mr. Sunshine,
I have a power washer, and I use chlorine which I spray on first prior to using the power washer.

I'll lend it to you, but you have to return my green ladder, and the power washer when your finished using it. :-)

Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 AM

thanks -we are gonna buy one anyway -guess the chlorine will work and not affect the pool (like bleach would)

you dont need a ladder you are too tall already

Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 AM

chlorine or bleach will not bother your pool. bleach is actually diluted chlorine. but it will kill grass and plants. unless you have a really heavy build up i think you will be surprised how well the power washer will work. the chlorine is really to kill the mold, mildew so that it does not regrow to soon. there is a product made by ZEP for mold and mildew that works real good on fabric like umbrellas. it comes in a blue spray bottle and is at home depot or lowes.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 AM

GOOJ i was mainly worried because the dogs use the deck (and the pool)a lot and didnt want to use chemicals where they would be walking

Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM

you have a pitbull, correct? they are bullet proof.

if you spray the diluted chlorine or bleach on, i would use a sprayer like you use to kill weeds, one of those 2 gallon pump sprayers, let it sit for a few minutes and then power wash off it should be so diluted that it will not bother the dogs. do this early in the day before sun is strong or at least when the area is in the shade.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
GOOJ i was mainly worried because the dogs use the deck (and the pool)a lot and didnt want to use chemicals where they would be walking
The chlorine which you can get at pinch a penny for $4.00 / gallon will also remove any and all stains on your deck. When you power wash it it will all be gone and diluted. You can pre-dilute it 50/50 when you add it to a pump sprayer and it will still be way more than strong enough to do the job. Get a decent power washer, not that piece of crap that graham had...

Don't let your dogs out there when you are doing it. The smell can hurt them, and the mist can hurt their eyes. Use care. After your done though, you won't have any worries. The chlorine is great for cleaning your drive, gutters, and anything else you want to power wash. Keep it off of anything steel though (like your car, garage doors, or your wife's wedding band ) - it will cause it to rust out very quickly.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM

85 posts, read 191,535 times
Quote:

I do my deck every two or three years up here in MN. I use bleach but do not have a pool ( it would be an ice rink for 7 months). I have an electric one, its a Campbell haustfelt 1500psi. Be careful when blasting because it will tear through your boards and leave splinters if you spray directly at it.
I'm not sure of FL but in MN I seal my deck after I clean it. I use Colbeats, not sure I spelled that right but it is in a yellow can.I have used cheaper stuff but had to do it after a year. Good luck and enjoy the pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area