Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

A friend suggested us this area.

We are looking for
3 bedrooms
1.5 baths
1200+
No HOA
Good schools

I have a few questions.

How much is homeowners insurance?
Utilities?
lawn guys?

We are looking to spend 75,000 or less. Is this realistic?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,967,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpangle View Post
A friend suggested us this area.

We are looking for
3 bedrooms
1.5 baths
1200+
No HOA
Good schools

I have a few questions.

How much is homeowners insurance?
Utilities?
lawn guys?

We are looking to spend 75,000 or less. Is this realistic?

Thanks!!
It's possible. More likely to find something in that range in the North Port area or south Venice area.

Home owners insurance depends on many things. Here are a few points that insurance agents take into consideration-the age of the home, style of roof(hip roof is best), how close the home is to a natural body of water or fire hydrant, how the roof is tied on, if the home has hurricane shutters or impact resistant glass, if the home has a Miami-Dade rated garage door, if the home is frame or block. These are just a few of the criteria they use to give an insurance quote. There are more but these are some of the biggies.

Another thing that's important to look at when talking insurance is the www.MySafeFLoridaHome.com program. It's important to have a wind mitigation report done on the home. This usually costs around $150 and some home inspectors include it in the home inspection for free. I'll give you an example of how this can effect your insurance. I live in North Port (southern Sarasota county). My home was built in 2003, has hurricane shutters, 2127 under air, hip roof, concrete block, close to a fire hydrant, no pool. Before the inspection my insurance was $1987 per year and after the inspection it was $727. Big difference.

Then you have flood insurance. 95% of North Port is not in a flood zone. There is a very specific area that is. The other areas of Sarasota and Charlotte county would be hit or miss. Generally west of US 41 and on the islands would be more likely to require flood insurance. The only way to determine the amount of the insurance is to have an elevation certificate. This would show the elevation of the home and what flood zone the home is in (if any). If the previous owner had home owners insurance and had a mortgage they probably have an elevation certificate. I always recommend getting flood insurance even if your home is not in a flood zone. If it's not, the price would be much cheaper for the insurance.

Utilities-again it depends a lot on the age of the home, the insulation, the windows, the A/C efficiency, how much energy you use, etc. My last electric bill was $110. I have three girls who take showers a lot and we do a lot of laundry. We don't have a pool and I have a newer home.

Where I live it's well water and and septic. We have our septic pumped every 3-4 years or so for $250. We have our well cleaned once every 6 months and the filters changed for $100. Each month we have salt delivered for $35.

You'd have to check with others on the cost of public water. It also varies depending on what town you're getting the water from and of course usage.

For lawn guys I'd refer to Big House. he has someone cut his lawn and maintain things. There's also a guy on here named BillLawn. I'm sure others could give prices on that as well.

Were you looking for elementary, middle or high schools? Here are the attendance zones for Sarasota county: Sarasota County Schools Long Range Planning Here's how they were graded by the state: School Accountability Report .... and you can go here for some opinions: www.greatschools.com

For elementary schools here are 2 of the top five in Sarasota county according to the state:

Venice Elementary (34285, 34292, 34293)
South Venice area

Cranberry Elementary (North Port)
-(34286, a certain section)

You could probably find something in the Venice or Cranberry districts in your range.

Good luck and hope this helps

Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,118 times
thanks Now onto finding a realtor lmao.....this is so much work when we are doing it from 2000 miles away.

We dont mind a short sale, since we wont be living there full time. We dont want to wait 6+ months, but 3=6 or so isnt a big deal to us

Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM

4,635 posts, read 7,591,329 times
Hi Mpangle,

In response to your questions:

How much is homeowners insurance? Insurance rates will be influenced by the age of home (the older the home, the more it generally costs to insure), age of roof, are there any upgrades or hurricane protections that qualify for wind mitigation discounts, is the home located in a wind zone or flood zone, etc. I don't know where you would be moving from, but if it's in the midwest, you'll probably find that the insurance rates are higher than you expected. I few years back I had a 60's built 1500 sq ft home and paid $1800 a year for insurance, but rates have gone up since then on most older homes IF you can find private insurance on them. I now live in a newer construction home with about 2300 sq ft living space, and I pay about $900 a year with the wind mitigation discounts. Many of the older homes in FL are insured thru Citizens, the state's not-for-profit insurance provider. You can find out more about Citizens at: https://www.citizensfla.com/

Utilities? For electric, it depends on what type of windows the home has, does the attic area have any insulation, how old is the AC. I can tell you that we run AC in FL pretty much full time for at least 9 to 10 months of the year and heat only a few nights here and there during the months of December thru February. That's during a normal winter.

Water & sewer rates will depend on city vs county, some neighborhoods in the Sarasota area are on private company utilities or still have septic tanks, so just pay water rates. The Sarasota county utilities department has a web site that includes their rate information:
gov.net/environmentalservices/water/utilities/CustomerService.asp

lawn guys? Depends on the size of the lawn, but you can find lawn services that charge $20 to $25 a cut for small to medium sized lawns, $80 - $95 a month for year round lawn care, depending on how much trimming you want done.

We are looking to spend 75,000 or less. Is this realistic? Probably not in a Sarasota neighborhood that's in a good school district if you want 3 bedrooms & more than 1 bath, especially if you want something in move in condition. In the current market, you'll probably have to spend $100k or more to get a smaller 3 bedroom in a neighborhood such as Sarasota Springs, Ridgewood or Brentwood. Most homes in those neighborhoods are 30 to 50 years old. Inventory of 3 bedroom homes in that price range are especially low right now in neighborhoods within good school districts in Sarasota.

You might try looking further south of Sarasota, in North Port, for more affordable housing if you need 3 bedrooms. There are a lot of newer construction homes in foreclosure in that area, so prices are lower than in Sarasota. North Port has more of a small town feel than Sarasota, but you'll find that most of the activities, events and social things to do on the weekends are in Sarasota.

Will you also need to find employment here? That too could influence your home buying decision.

If you don't know the area very well and are thinking of moving here, you might want to consider renting for 6 to 12 months until you learn the area and neighborhoods better.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area