U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,982 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I will be relocating to Central/Southern Florida very soon with my daughter and my 1 year old grandson. I was looking at all the pictures posted here of Venice and find the city breathtaking, especially considering I am now living in the cornbelt, which is a very lackluster area to say the least. I am a single mother who has been employed as a Special Education teaching assistant for the last 12 years. Would the Venice area be out of my income range? I know that the closer you are to the coast, the more expensive cost of living is. I would like to find a nice community where the three of us can live comfortably and confident in the fact that my grandson will be raised in a safe area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 AM

219 posts, read 651,412 times
Default income range ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabound_3 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I will be relocating to Central/Southern Florida very soon with my daughter and my 1 year old grandson. I was looking at all the pictures posted here of Venice and find the city breathtaking, especially considering I am now living in the cornbelt, which is a very lackluster area to say the least. I am a single mother who has been employed as a Special Education teaching assistant for the last 12 years. Would the Venice area be out of my income range? I know that the closer you are to the coast, the more expensive cost of living is. I would like to find a nice community where the three of us can live comfortably and confident in the fact that my grandson will be raised in a safe area.
depending on the income range there is housing east of 41 that is very reasonable now, you say you are relocting are you retired now ? Venice has some very old areas ,we lived there for 2 years and left because it is limited what you can do there ,traffic in season is terrible ,the silver foxes get very pushy and their driving is horrible,if your daughter is looking for work other then fast food or banking ,don't expect to find very many job oppurtunities. I'm not knocking the place it's just not for everyone or the young.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,791,916 times
I think we'd need a little more information. Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your price range? What kind of community are you looking for? The average age in Venice is 68, so it's a bit older. The average age in North Port is 38 (which is just south of Venice) and the average age in Sarasota is in the 40's.

I would suggest looking in North Port or Sarasota depending on your price range and what type of community you're looking for. You might want to consider renting until you're more familiar with the area.

Jobs are a bit scarce here, especially teaching jobs so make sure you have something nailed down before you make your move.

Good luck with it!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,330,891 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the board!!
I don't think that from a budget perspective you will have an issue, so long as you have a job nailed down. SWFL can be very affordable, as well as lavish. There are many fun things to do with a 1 year old that don't have to cost a lot of money, and you can do the same things that others spend thousands to do. :-)

Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 AM

I am not retired. I have about 30 years yet before that will happen. I am looking to rent, affordable housing for a single mom. I do plan on having employment nailed down first. Just trying to decide on a good area for now. I would like to find an area that has plenty of opportunity for my daughter. She too is a single mother who needs to start working on making a future for her and her son. I myself have really only worked in the education field, so the scarcity of teaching jobs is a little discouraging. Average yearly income for teaching assistants here is around $18,000. We are both, my daughter and I, looking for a great place to make a fresh new start. Looking for the perfect place for us to call home.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM

3,178 posts, read 5,509,993 times
Does your daughter have any post-high school education? If not, I'm not so sure Florida is the place to "start working on making a future", unless being a gas station attendant or waitress qualifies...?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM

35,036 posts, read 54,793,453 times
or part-time retail sales clerk

I am wondering how you managed to support 3 people on 18K a year (if I read your post correctly and that was your salary)--that seems to be an impossible task...and I am not being facitious--
I know several teachers (not aides) in the Sarasota/Charlotte county systems and they have told stories of several people who moved to Sarasota co and took teaching jobs, taught a year, and left because of how expensive it was--that their teaching salary was not enough by itself to take care of housing (and while that was before the crunch but housing can still be expensive item in budget) and other needs

Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM

LOL! Every year when I have my taxes done they ask me the same question. "How do you support yourself on such a limited income?" It can be done if you live frugally. It's not easy, but we do ok. My daughter is working right now as a waitress and working towards becoming a Certified Nurses Assistant. I also do some freelance photography. We both work hard and live wisely. but I take it Venice would not be the place for us? Too bad. I was so in love with the palm trees and white sandy beaches. We have family that live in Ocala. But the densely shaded area and clay roads that make up the scenery where they live is not appealing to either of us. We are more attracted to salt water and sunshine. Thank you all so much. I will keep looking.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,791,916 times
Quote:
LOL! Every year when I have my taxes done they ask me the same question. "How do you support yourself on such a limited income?" It can be done if you live frugally. It's not easy, but we do ok. My daughter is working right now as a waitress and working towards becoming a Certified Nurses Assistant. I also do some freelance photography. We both work hard and live wisely. but I take it Venice would not be the place for us? Too bad. I was so in love with the palm trees and white sandy beaches. We have family that live in Ocala. But the densely shaded area and clay roads that make up the scenery where they live is not appealing to either of us. We are more attracted to salt water and sunshine. Thank you all so much. I will keep looking.
Wow! Hats off to you. I wouldn't totally rule this area out. I would just suggest making sure you have job and have investigated your housing options. The South Venice area might work. Waitress jobs are pretty seasonal. In the winter months you can do pretty well but things slow down considerably in the summer months.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do

Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,893,408 times
Quote:
I am not retired. I have about 30 years yet before that will happen. I am looking to rent, affordable housing for a single mom. I do plan on having employment nailed down first. Just trying to decide on a good area for now. I would like to find an area that has plenty of opportunity for my daughter. She too is a single mother who needs to start working on making a future for her and her son. I myself have really only worked in the education field, so the scarcity of teaching jobs is a little discouraging. Average yearly income for teaching assistants here is around $18,000. We are both, my daughter and I, looking for a great place to make a fresh new start. Looking for the perfect place for us to call home.
It's amazing how little a person can live on in Florida compared to other states, but you still need a source of income, housing, medical care, food, gas, etc. Plus, you need to be prepared for the unexpected. So make sure you find a job that offers good benefits.

It's not difficult to get CNA certification in Florida. Your daughter can complete her CNA training in one weekend. In fact, training isn't even required by State Law as long as she can pass the DOH exam. Average pay is $12 to $14 an hour plus overtime. She might want to consider taking an evening LPN course which is only 18 months. There are evening courses at a local technical college. Average pay is about $18 to $20 an hour. Many LPNs earn over $40,000.

Before moving, you should check out the demand for your particular professions in different areas of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area