Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
So I got my de-humidistat installed today. When home you set it to the on position and set your AC to whatever temp you want it at. When you will be gone from home for a while, set your AC to 75 and the humidistat to 60%. The AC will kick on when the humidity goes above 60% which is the temp that mold starts to grow. The air will feel cooler if the humidity level is lower and you will save money on electricity when you're not there as it is based on humidity not temp. when it kicks on.
What did it cost for the [SIZE=2]de-humidistat with installation?

[SIZE=2]Thanks Gary[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,868 times
I would think this thread is a bit out of date, since there are now thermostats that can be accessed through the internet by a smart phone.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
Our Ranco J10-821,was put in for $125.00 parts and labor. We looked at all options and for us this was the best for us. I appreciate the fact that there are internet controlled options out there but don't agree that this thread is dated.

J10-821 - Ranco J10-821 - Horizontal Wallmount Humidistat w/ 20-80% Relative Humidity Range

For those that want to consider can someone post a link to the internet/smart phone thermostat they've put in ?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 PM

108 posts, read 272,622 times
Default off the FPL blog regarding humidistats.....interesting!

How to prevent mold using a humidistat
By Energy Expert
Asked on: September 1, 2011 by Roger H. - Fort Myers
What is your opinion on using a humidistat as a means of controlling mold?
That’s a great question, Roger, and one that many customers raised in response to my recent post on how to save energy and prevent mold when away from home. No one wants mold inside their home, so finding ways to prevent it in Florida’s muggy climate is of interest to many of our customers. Why it happens Mold can begin to take root inside your home when the relative humidity (RH) exceeds about 68 percent. A humidistat, which directly controls indoor relative humidity, is one way to prevent mold. Dehumidifiers and some central air conditioners have a built-in humidistat that tells the system to dehumidify the air to a desired point. Setting your humidistat or dehumidifier Set the controls of your humidistats and dehumidifiers to 58 percent RH to maintain acceptable humidity, since some humidistat sensors are inaccurate by as many as 10 percentage points. Better ways to control mold If you don’t have a humidistat, another way to control mold when you’re away is by programming the A/C to run at 72 degrees for just two hours before sunrise and at 88 degrees the rest of the day. But what if you don’t have a programmable thermostat? In that case, set the A/C at 77 degrees for condos or apartments and 80 degrees for single family homes and townhouses. (Remember to have the fan switch set to auto.) If you live in Florida seasonally or leave for extended periods of time, the most economical way to prevent mold in a vacant home is by using stand-alone dehumidifiers instead of A/C. Use one for every 1,000 square feet. Visit FPL.com to learn what settings that are best when you’re away. We also recommend repairing any leaks around doors, windows and in your A/C ductwork, which will help minimize the amount of moisture getting into your home. We also offer a duct system testing and repair program. We’d like to know if this helps, so feel free to leave us a comment below. Remember to refer any of your customer service questions or concerns to FPL.com/contact.
Posted in: Ask the Expert, Energy Efficiency, Featured Posts
Tags: dehumidifier, Florida Power and Light, FPL, humidistat, mold, mold prevention, muggy climate

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,891 times
How do you know if the humidistat is working? Does the fan on the A/C unit come on? Does the separate thermostat for the A/C / Heat have to be on?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
We had a 2/2 home in Jupiter for the last 8 years. Humidistats are amazing! Some months in summer our FL bill was under $20. Set at 70 and thermostat at 78-80. Never had a problem. Wencourage wouldn't leave without installing one.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Our older home didn't have a humidstat. That had me worried a little bit, but I put a humidity meter in the house and one of the remote cameras can see it. Also, I have a home watching service.

The house, when left at 82, maintains about 52% indoor humidity which should be fine. So far so good.

If and when I get the A/C replaced (it's older, but works fine and only costs $1 a day when we are gone!), I would put a humidstat in, but I don't think it is a must based on my experience (I was a contractor, including HVAC, for many years).

Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 AM

644 posts, read 1,484,664 times
I left my new concrete block townhome with the A/C set at 81 on the upper floor, which gets a lot of afternoon sun. I figure the heat up there will trigger the A/C to go on regularly enough to keep the humidity down.

I set the lower floor on 79 degrees. I Hope this is set low enough.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 AM

98 posts, read 291,306 times
You should not set your humidistat above 60%. Mold can start to grow above 60%.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM

644 posts, read 1,484,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSteel View Post
You should not set your humidistat above 60%. Mold can start to grow above 60%.
I was referring to the temperature I set my central air on, i.e., the thermostat. I don't have a separate humidistat to set.

It is a new Carrier air conditioner. I asked about a humidistat and was told it was unnecessary, but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area