Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 AM

64 posts, read 117,524 times

Advertisements

Some of the homes we looked at had Humidistat's in the home. Naturally the one we bought didn't. Does anyone know anything about these or know someone who does? Can anyone who has one tell me if they like or dislike it?

I'd like to leave the AC on 82 degrees when we aren't around and have a humidistat that kicks it on if it gets to humid.

I'm not worried about things because I am going to find someone to come in every now & then to check on things. If anybody knows of someone that does a house check/flushes toilets etc in Village Walk, please let me know their name & contact info, and how much they charge if you know

Thanks Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM

275 posts, read 715,029 times
Do they work differently in Florida? All the humidistats I've installed were used to control a humidifier during the winter months when the heater was running, to add moisture to the (dryer-heated) air.

The air conditioning unit is your primary DE-humidifier, removing moisture during the summer months.

Any stand-alone dehumidifier would require frequent emptying of the catch basin, though most newer ones have a float-activated shut-off, to prevent them from continuing to run once it's full.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
If you own a home in Florida and you are away on vacation or are only here part of the year, you should have a humidistat.

What is a humidistat? It is a device used to control your air conditioning system that cycles the unit on and off based on humidity rather than temperature.

Why use a humidistat? Your home can develop unwanted moisture or mildew problems because of too much humidity which can be unhealthy to you and destructive to your home.

What should a humidistat be set for? If you set your humidistat at 70 percent relative humidity it will cycle the air conditioner even if the thermostat does not call for cooling. The thermostat comes on based on heat and not humidity. The thermostat and humidistat usually operate independently of the other's control setting. Check with the manufacturer to determine the best control setting during the time of year that you will be gone or check with your local air conditioning company.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 PM

165 posts, read 336,499 times
We have a humidistat in our Rotonda home, and we do not live there year 'round. When anyone is present in the home we were told to put the a/c on 78 (recommendation of FPL) and to put the humidistat to the "on" position. When we're not present in the home, we were told to set the a/c at 80 and to put the humidistat on 60%. Once I forgot and left the humidistat on 60% and the a/c was set at 78. It was miserable and hot in the house. Once I remembered and turned the humidistat to "on" the house was pleasantly cool. I'm a believer!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
I rented a vacation home for a week in Bradenton which had a humidistat. Despite it being almost 90 degrees and miserably humid out, the home stayed cool and dry; very comfortable.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM

Appreciate replies. Does anyone know a specific brand & model number that has worked well and the approximate cost? Thank you Bob

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 PM

413 posts, read 827,876 times
Here is a link to a honeywell dehumidistat manual

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...C166manual.pdf

Dave

Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
We have a humistat in addition to a house watcher who stops by once a week, flushing toilets, running faucets. He charges $30/mo but our place is up near University so hewouldn't work for you.. One time the house watcher came in to discover our A/C had conked out and the humidity was really high. If we didn't have some one coming in, by the time we got down there we would have had a terrible mold problem

Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
Here is a link to a honeywell dehumidistat manual

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...C166manual.pdf

Dave

I'm not sure this is what I am looking for because it appears it is used in conjunction with a dehumidifier. Do I need to get a dehumidifier also?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker Bob View Post
I'm not sure this is what I am looking for because it appears it is used in conjunction with a dehumidifier. Do I need to get a dehumidifier also?

Thanks
No. A humidistat works in conjunction with your Thermostat. Dependent on how complex your A/C system is you might want to have your A/C contractor install one for you and explain how it works. I would not own a home in Florida part time and not have one.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area