Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 PM

40 posts, read 170,656 times

Advertisements

So my family and I finally got here a few months ago and things are starting to settle down a bit. This forum was so helpful to me when I was considering moving. It just dawned on me that I need to come here more often to start learning (and contributing) more about the Sarasota/ Bradenton area and to figure out where to live permanently.

We ended up renting in River Club which is adjacent to Lakewood Ranch. It's practically part of LWR but not officially part of it. We really like it here and the LWR area seems like a great place to raise a family.

We are trying to figure out if there is a better area to live than LWR and would love some advice. We are going to buy in the very near future and want the best place to raise a family. We're around 40 with a baby plus another one in the relatively near future.

The other places we have started to look at a Palmer Ranch and University Place. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamehameha View Post
So my family and I finally got here a few months ago and things are starting to settle down a bit. This forum was so helpful to me when I was considering moving. It just dawned on me that I need to come here more often to start learning (and contributing) more about the Sarasota/ Bradenton area and to figure out where to live permanently.

We ended up renting in River Club which is adjacent to Lakewood Ranch. It's practically part of LWR but not officially part of it. We really like it here and the LWR area seems like a great place to raise a family.

We are trying to figure out if there is a better area to live than LWR and would love some advice. We are going to buy in the very near future and want the best place to raise a family. We're around 40 with a baby plus another one in the relatively near future.

The other places we have started to look at a Palmer Ranch and University Place. Thanks!
If you are commuting to Tampa, I would stick with the communities on or near University. There are a lot of nice places there, and it's convenient to EVERYTHING. Palmer Ranch is just too far south for that commute.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Agree on the commute, but i work from home most of the time now so it's not as much of a factor.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
"Better" is a very subjective thing. What don't you like about LWR and RC that would cause you to look for something else? In other words, what need can't you fulfill in these two areas?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
The River Club is a nice, gated golf community. Todd Johnson and Arthur Rutenberg builders both have good reputations in our area. There's also the bonus of not having CDD fees.

University Place is also a gated community of about 400 homes set in 6 neighborhoods. The homes in Carriage Run are maintenance free (monthly fees cover lawn service). Builders of these homes include Bruce Williams, Neal Homes, Inland Homes and Lee Wetherington. University Place has it's own commuity web site at: University Place Florida Prices start just under $200,000 for distress sales, around $225k - $240k for regular sales. Depending on which neighborhood you're looking at, most of them have HOA fees of $100/month. Carriage Run will cost about $218/mo in HOA fees because of the extra maintenance included. University Place has 2 pools (lagoon style and lap), 2 rec centers, tennis courts, playground and walking trails.

Are you only considering gated communities? Mote Ranch area, just west and north of University Place has several nice neighborhoods of newer built homes with reasonable annual HOA fees (and no CDD fees) but most are not gated. These would include Copper Ridge, Grand Point, Longpond at Mote Ranch, River Park at Mote Ranch, Mote Ranch and Chaparral. You'll find home prices starting in the low to mid $200's, depending on neighborhoods.

I am a big fan of Lakewood Ranch, especially the south end off of University Pkwy in the Country Club area. As you already know, Lakewood Ranch is a unique master planned community with it's own shopping centers, hospital, athletic center and nature preserves. The newest Villages of Lakewood Ranch, Greenbrook and Central Park are probably the most family friendly in that both communities include play areas. Greenbrook has an Adventure Park with a play area, obstacle course and in-line skate rink as well as a dog park. Central Park has a playground, splash park, baseball fields, dog park and tennis courts. Central Park's neighborhoods are all built around the central 10 acre park. Prices in Greenbrook start in the mid $230's. Central Park still has new construction available. Current, completed new construction homes available start at around $200,000. Brickell Park and Claremont Park are maintenance free. Claremont Park has it's own community pool, rec & fitness center. All of the homes in Central Park are certified green homes. Lakewood Ranch is known for it's excellent school districts.

Palmer Ranch is also a planned community of about 10,000 acres with approximately 9000 residences in the form of condos, villas, townhomes and single family homes. Wellington Chase is one of the most reasonably priced for single family homes. It is not gated, nor does it have a community pool - that's why HOA fees are about $800/year. Most of the neighborhoods were built in the 1990's. Some of those have had issues with pin hole leaks in the plumbing that required replumbing of the entire home.

The Isles is the newest construction in Palmer Ranch, with both villas and single family, maintenance free homes. Prices for homes start at around $300k with HOA fees of about $842/quarter for homes, $807/quarter for villas. The Isles offers a clubhouse, lagoon style pool, tennis, fitness, basketball & boccee ball courts, a playground and full time activity director.

Village Walk is one of the most popular neighborhoods in Palmer Ranch for newer construction as it offers villas, townhomes and single family homes. Townhomes start at around $200k with HOA fees of about $864/quarter. Villas start at around $225k with HOA fees of about $852/quarter and maintenance free homes start at around $250k. Once in awhile you will see a short sale on a townhome priced at around $175 - $185,000. Village Walk has resort style amenities, including a gorgeous clubhouse, fitness center, laoon style pool, tennis courts and walking trails.

Turtle Rock is another gated community within Palmer Ranch that I especially like. Turtle Rock has about 750 single family homes and villas. Prices start at round $260k for homes with HOA fees of about $400/quarter. Somerset in Turtle Rock has carriage homes built in the late 90's. HOA fees in Turtle Rock include lawn maintenance, pressure washing roofs annually, clubhouse, pool, tennis courts and a nice feature I particularly like, solar street lights.

Other neighborhoods within Palmer Ranch include Stoneybrook, a golf and country club community that requires membership in the country club; The Hamptons, a small community of 3 subdivisions of single family homes with a community pool; The Palisades, 43 maintenance free homes with a clubhouse, lakeside pool and pavilion; Palmer Square, coach homes (similar to townhomes), Prestancia, an upscale golf and country club of condos, villas and single family homes; Silver Oak, a gated community of 181 single family homes, some maintenance free, with a clubhouse, spa & pool and fitness center; Stonebridge, a small neighborhood of single family homes with a community pool; Marabella, a gated community of 139 homes and villas with a community pool; Mira Lago, a gated community of 180 Mediterranean style maintenance free homes and villas with a community pool; Deer Creek, a 285 acre community of single family homes & villas; Country Club of Sarasota, a guard gated community of single family homes and villas, golf membership is optional in this golf & tennis community. There are also several condo and villa communities but I am assuming you're looking more for single family homes.

It basically comes down to what appeals to you on a personal level. Some people love Lakewood Ranch, others Palmer Ranch or University Place. Some have smaller lot sizes, others larger. Some homes are placed closer to the street for more of a community feel, others feel "closed in." Some people are willing to pay higher maintenance fees for more amenities, others are not. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the communities you mentioned.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
I agree with the others that you should decide what it is you like and dislike about LWR and what "needs are not being met" by that community.

We used to live in Turtle Rock. It's very nice and safe community. But when we were thinking of moving we figured out what we liked and disliked about it and found a neighborhood that was what we were looking for. We didn't want a gate, we wanted a community with more children and families, we wanted a little bit less anal HOA, something a little farther back from the main road but still close to everything, yard space, and did I mention more kids? We found just that.

My suggestion would be to look outside of the main big planned communities.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM

108 posts, read 234,778 times
Nobody mentioned Greyhawk Landing. Just thought I would add that one - we are moving there because it appeared to be more of a family than golf - retiree community.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 32,469 times
Default Which community is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I agree with the others that you should decide what it is you like and dislike about LWR and what "needs are not being met" by that community.

We used to live in Turtle Rock. It's very nice and safe community. But when we were thinking of moving we figured out what we liked and disliked about it and found a neighborhood that was what we were looking for. We didn't want a gate, we wanted a community with more children and families, we wanted a little bit less anal HOA, something a little farther back from the main road but still close to everything, yard space, and did I mention more kids? We found just that.

My suggestion would be to look outside of the main big planned communities.

Culturedmom, would you please share which community you chose/moved to? Thanks so much

Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Enjoy Options Aplenty in Palmer Ranch

Palmer Ranch, a spacious master planned community, offers a myriad of different lifestyle options to suit any taste. Convenient to cultural attractions, the vibrant downtown and the beaches of Sarasota, the communities in Palmer Ranch have something for everyone.

The Country Club of Sarasota is deal for golf enthusiasts as well as anyone who wants easy access to fine dining, shopping and cultural activities. This community is primarily composed of single family homes on sprawling home sites.

The Hamptons is an outstanding residential area that is divided into three unique areas; North, West and South. In the West Hamptons is ideal for privacy, with its gated community and spacious homes. For beautiful landscaping, look to the South Hamptons while the North Hamptons offer stunning homes.

Huntington Pointe is the ideal blend of architecture and nature. Stunning wooded and lakefront home sites are available here. This is Florida living at its best.

Marbella is considered to be one of the most charming neighborhoods in Palmer Ranch. Centrally located, the PR Palmer Ranch condos and homes here offer convenience and comfort.

Prestencia is considered to be one of the most coveted addresses in Sarasota. Choose from low-rise PR Palmer Ranch condos, villas and single family homes in this prestigious neighborhood.

Young professionals are often attracted to Stoneybrook along with active retirees and growing families. This warm neighborhood features spacious homes, PR Palmer Ranch condos will full amenities and fantastic panoramas that are sure to charm.

Turtle Rock is the ideal choice for young families and active adults who are looking for a country club style setting with privacy. Conveniently located near the golf courses, the amenities here include tennis courts, swimming pool, walking paths, canoeing and a recreation building. Choose from single family homes, spacious villas and estate homes.

Something for Everyone at University Park

University Park is considered to be one of the premier golf and country club communities in the Bradenton and Sarasota, Florida area. Residents here are afforded with the opportunity to take full advantage of the many amenities offered by this community. The golf facility here is outstanding and features a 27-hole championship Ron Garl designed course. The nature preserves, panoramic fairways, sparkling lakes and lagoons as well as the meticulous landscaping all reveal careful attention to detail.

There are also numerous dining facilities available in University Park, ranging from casual to elegant. Options include the Varsity Club, the Park Grille and Café, the Card Room and the Lakeside Room. In addition, residents are able to benefit from eleven lighted tennis courts, a state-of-the-art fitness facility, personal trainers, fitness classes, a pro shop, therapeutic massages, aerobics classes and body sculpting.

Within University Park there are 31 distinct neighborhoods, each offering its own unique feel and reflecting various price ranges. Prospective buyers are able to choose from expansive estate homes and maintenance-free villas. If you are considering purchasing property in the local area, University Park should definitely be at the top of your list. There are options here that will suit practically any budget.

University Park is conveniently located approximately two miles off I-75 in Sarasota, Florida. This makes it easy and convenient for residents to benefit from the many shopping destinations and cultural activities available within just minutes of University Park. TampaInternationalAirport is situated about one hour away while SarasotaInternationalAirport is only a five minute drive from University Park.

Make plans to come and tour University Park and discover why so many other buyers have already fallen in love with this premier golfing community. You can be assured you will not be disappointed.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Our primary issue with LWR is the lot size. Some of the houses are so close to each other. We can somewhat solve that problem by moving in Country Club of LWR but it will cost us. We have heard that Country Club is changing with more families moving in. Anyone agree with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area