Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 AM

10 posts, read 27,435 times

Advertisements

plan on moving to florida in march of 2012..looking for some info on schools,apartments etc..
i would like a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment for under 1000
good schools for my kids,i think thats what i worry most about.
i think its great how people get on here and help!thank you to all who help in this process of moving to a place i here is GREAT!

Last edited by flood4_ever; 07-20-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,567,335 times
There are a lot of posts about Bradenton and Sarasota on City-Data. Under Search Forums type in Bradenton and Sarasota as two separate searches.

Schools

Sarasota County Schools web site: Sarasota County Schools, Home

Manatee County Schools web site: School District of Manatee County Florida

Rentals

Try: www.rentmeflorida.com

Jobs

Jobs are very hard to come by especially in construction right now. With the down turn in the market and the foreclosures and short sales, construction is at a minimum. Many builders went out of business or moved to other locations. Your husband would have to register with the county to do handyman type work, but needs to check the regulations for each county.

There are a lot of grocery chains in the area where you may be able to find work such as Publix, Sweet Bay, and Winn Dixie. I would try to see if you can apply online. I know Publix has a kiosk computer station in the stores where you apply.

Job search sites are: www.employflorida.com, www.jobfocus.com, www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.careerbuilder.com, www.yoursun.com, www.snagajob.com

Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 AM

thank you very much..which part do you live in?which is better to live bradenton/sarasota.as far as raising a family?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,567,335 times
I live in Port Charlotte but used to live in North Port which is in South Sarasota County. Both Bradenton and Sarasota have nice areas that are great to raise kids in. Sarasota offers more cultural activities within the city. North Port is more affordable than the other areas. City of North Port web site: www.cityofnorthport.com

To get some great data on Sarasota go to The Economic Development Corporation Web Site. They have some details and demographic data that will be helpful to you.

The Economic Development Corporation of Sarasota County

Click on the images to see some of the data from EDC.
moving to bradenton/sarasota-sarasota.jpg
moving to bradenton/sarasota-sarasota-employment.jpg

Last edited by TamRE; 07-20-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM

4,631 posts, read 7,568,617 times
Sarasota has a lot of well rated schools. To help you learn more about each Sarasota school districts and it's strengths/ weaknesses, here's the link to the official Sarasota county schools web site: http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net

Manatee also has many well rated school districts. Here is their web site:
School District of Manatee County Florida

Another great site I've found is a web site that ranks the schools based on test scores, parents reviews and other criteria. It's at: http://www.greatschools.org/florida/sarasota/

After you've determined which school districts you think will work best for your children, the school sites have district map information, so you can see which neighborhoods you're interested in match up with the school districts.

For local newspapers on line, there's the Bradenton Herald at
Bradenton.com
and the Sarasota Herald Tribune at
Sarasota Florida News, Sarasota Weather, Sports and Business | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Herald-Tribune

If you're looking for 3 or 4 bedrooms, you might want to consider renting a home vs an apartment. You may be able to find a 3 bedroom home for around $1000 a month in an acceptable school district.

The jobs situation around our area is improving, but unemployment rates are still around 10% in our area at this time. However, new construction is picking up. Neal Homes and Lennar are both building new homes in the south Manatee county communities of Lakewood Ranch and Heritage Harbour. Neal Homes is also getting ready to start construction on a new subdivision on Lockwood Ridge Rd in Manatee county. Medallion Homes is building a new subdivision on Honore and a new shopping center is just getting ready to break ground on SR70 at Lockwood Ridge, in southern Manatee county. If someone in your family is looking for construction work, Bradenton - Sarasota may be an option for you.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM

i like the manatee high school,would like area around that high school..
sabal cove or lamaranda gardens...are they good or bad

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM

4,631 posts, read 7,568,617 times
I drive by the Sabal Cove apartments on 53rd, but don't know anyone living there. Some tenants have rated the complex on a web site that you might want to check:
Sabal Cove Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Bradenton apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM

would you know of any apartment places for under 1000?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

66 posts, read 190,921 times
Schools are good. I would not suggest moving to Bradenton. Bradenton is a lot seedier than Sarasota on the whole and you hear about a stabbing/shooting/etc. there just about every day.

Sarasota schools are good on the whole, but they are going through a lot of budget cuts thanks to our "great" Governor Rick Scott.

If you're looking for a job, good luck to you. There aren't really any.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM

17,564 posts, read 39,217,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnokomis View Post
Schools are good. I would not suggest moving to Bradenton. Bradenton is a lot seedier than Sarasota on the whole and you hear about a stabbing/shooting/etc. there just about every day.

Sarasota schools are good on the whole, but they are going through a lot of budget cuts thanks to our "great" Governor Rick Scott.

If you're looking for a job, good luck to you. There aren't really any.
I do not agree with you about Bradenton. I personally like Bradenton a lot. The bad stuff almost all happens in the ghetto areas, just like it does in Sarasota. It's true that Sarasota is "fancier" and has more upscale areas than Bradenton, but then the reason I do like Bradenton is that it is much less the "tourist town" and more of an everyday kind of city, and the people there are super friendly.

I do agree that the job situation is pretty rough right now, and that is really all over the state, not just here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area