Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 PM

182 posts, read 272,934 times

Advertisements

the "frigid/sweltering north"?

Excuse me? You in Florida have 6+ months of brutal jungle humidity, heat, and relentless sun.

Here in the North, I have 2 chilly months with temperatures averaging in the 30s....[hardly north-pole frigid]---January and february.

The rest of the year runs from the 40s in December and March to a few hot days in July/August
----those few days have humidity that is....well, as a Florida friend says to me: "you do not KNOW what hunidity is."

Other than that, up here April 1 through November 30 is about the most beautiful 8 months of weather you can find on the planet....mild, green, no snakes, no gators, no "palmetto bugs", no "love bugs", no hurricanes, no daily lightning, no LOUD insects all night.

ust wanted to take a moment to correct the mis-impression any non-Northerners might get.

Yes, we have some snow....in 27 years of daily commuting to Cleveland, 25 miles each way, I had maybe 2 days where snow affected my commute.....don't use my garage and it might take 2 minutes on some days to brush snow off....i ride my bike in January and my kid runs in January...and we can also do the same in July. Folks, there is a REASON why the wealthy go to Sarasota for just 3 months......
the rest of you, like my friend there, have to endure the rest of the year, to enjoy that short period of what they call "paradise." No, the North is no picnic.....but neither is it "frigid/sweltering.' Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM

64 posts, read 117,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I definitely have noticed that the "off season" seems much less "off" than it used to.

I am thinking it is possible that many of the birds have decided they cannot afford two homes, and have chosen here rather than the Great (Frigid/Sweltering) North.

Who can blame them?
We resemble your Frigid/Sweletering remark in Nebraska In between we normally have 7 or 8 good months many years.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Rushmore, I got what you meant with the "frigid/sweltering" thing. How anyone can wax on about Cleveland just being a bit "chilly", or Nebraska not being sweltering especially with the past two summers, I don't know. Our climate in Philly USED to be pretty decent (not much snow, winter temps usually in the 30's/40's, summers with only a few hot/humid stretches, and beautiful springs/falls)...BUT....the past two winters have been brutal, and last summer and this summer have been breaking records for heat and humidity. Nowhere in this country is perfect, but for my money, Southern California is as close as it gets (climate-wise). In lieu of that, I'd choose Cleveland....no, just kidding, I'd choose the Gulf coast of FL for its mild (mostly) winters, beautiful beaches and sunsets over the turquoise water.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Other than that, up here April 1 through November 30 is about the most beautiful 8 months of weather you can find on the planet....mild, green, no snakes, no gators, no "palmetto bugs", no "love bugs", no hurricanes, no daily lightning, no LOUD insects all night.

I still have family up in the midwest and they had the heat running quite a few nights in April and once in early May this year because it was so cold this spring. They also had over 12 inches of rain in May, then the heat set in and June was hotter up there than down here in FL. I was kidding them about having to come to FL to cool off.

True, you won't find gators or love bugs up north. But you will find tornadoes and floods in the spring and blizzards in the winter. Certain parts of Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee and Arkansas have to worry about earthquakes too. You also have to watch out for potholes, ticks, spiders, grasshoppers, bees, snakes, field mice, rats, possums, raccoons, bats and the chirping crickets put on quite a concert on a summer night. The trees are beautiful in the fall but the leaves turn quickly, requiring lots of raking or mulching and bagging (since most places don't allow you to burn leaves any more).

How about calling a truce since any place people call home has the good, the bad and the ugly points about it?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM

85 posts, read 191,535 times
How about calling a truce since any place people call home has the good, the bad and the ugly points about it?

I couldn't have said it better!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
krx

1 posts, read 930 times
off season is specific to the area. In northern Florida, our money maker is the summer! possibly in some areas of the industry (rv parks, condos) this would be the off season. Most condos have snowbirds all winter and short tern vacationers all spring and summer. So the term "off season" is used specifically at each property or industry segment at different times. The beach will generally always be crowded in many big cities or popular places in the spring and summer..DUH!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 PM

398 posts, read 822,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
the "frigid/sweltering north"?

Excuse me? You in Florida have 6+ months of brutal jungle humidity, heat, and relentless sun.

Here in the North, I have 2 chilly months with temperatures averaging in the 30s....[hardly north-pole frigid]---January and february.

The rest of the year runs from the 40s in December and March to a few hot days in July/August
----those few days have humidity that is....well, as a Florida friend says to me: "you do not KNOW what hunidity is."

ust wanted to take a moment to correct the mis-impression any non-Northerners might get.

Yes, we have some snow....in 27 years of daily commuting to Cleveland, 25 miles each way, I had maybe 2 days where snow affected my commute.....don't use my garage and it might take 2 minutes on some days to brush snow off....i ride my bike in January and my kid runs in January...and we can also do the same in July. Folks, there is a REASON why the wealthy go to Sarasota for just 3 months......
the rest of you, like my friend there, have to endure the rest of the year, to enjoy that short period of what they call "paradise." No, the North is no picnic.....but neither is it "frigid/sweltering.' Cheers!
I've been in downtown Cleveland several different seasons & other than the 3-4 months when it is very cold I've found that it smells there. Summers can be sweltering, humid, and very smelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area