Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times

Advertisements

So I made the mistake of allowing my mother-in-law to book a table for dinner, and, through no fault of her own, she fell for the BS recommendation (read: kickback referral) given her by the resort where she is staying. So...to the Chart House for "fine dining."

There were four of us and a baby. We walk in, and the 20 year old hostess behind the desk (who was inexplicably wearing an Abercrombie hoodie, in spite of the waiters scurrying around in ties) says "would you like a sling for THAT?", referring to our 3 month old.

Great start.

She hands us off to a second twenty year old hostess, who was wearing a skirt so tight and unbecoming, it was actually laughable. I will not elaborate here, but one might assume pole dancing is in her future. She walked ten feet ahead of us to our table.

Our waiter was capable and friendly, but he did try to get over on me in a really tacky way. There was a surf and turf entree on the menu for $30 (short rib and scallops). I asked him how it was, and he said, "Just your luck, tonight's surf and turf is very special! It is a lobster tail and a filet!" I said, "yes, that does sound good. OK, let's do that, medium rare please. I assume it's the same price, right?" And he said "Well, no, sir. It is $45."

Welcome to tourist trap hell.

My $13 glass of wine tasted like Yellowtail or something. The second one I got was passable, but only passable.

My chopped spinach salad was delicious. The other appetizers (soups and lobster skewers) were amazingly mediocre and shockingly overpriced.

The entrees were $30+ each. They were absolutely no better than at other restaurants at half the price. Saucy fish, quarter-sized scallops, fatty short ribs, shrimpy shrimp. The "grilled asparagus" came out steamed and with no flavor added whatsoever. I can steam my own asparagus. The potatoes were good, but I can do them myself and save the $300 we spent.

Can anyone tell me if there is any decent fine dining in Sarasota? The only two candidates we have not yet tried are the Maison Blanche and The Beach Bistro. Closest we've come is the Bijou, and even that was just "good."

I am losing faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Sarasota Florida Steak House, Ruth's Chris Prime Steak Restaurant

Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 AM

Sure, I have been to three different Ruth's, and they're always pretty solid.

But it's a chain, and it's a lot like Roy's or Flemings...I like them fine, but it's never going to offer a unique meal, because it will always be the same every time you go.

I am hoping for a five or seven course meal with pairings where the chef surprises us with creativity while satisfying my hunger.

Don't get me wrong--if I want a $40 ribeye, I know where to go, and i'll enjoy it fine.

But I will forget it pretty quickly.

For example, at Joto the other night, I had Japanese mackerel (as opposed to the usual saba, Spanish mackerel), prepared three ways, and it was sublime. It wasn't on the menu, and the chef made it a point to recommend it and the special Grade A Japanese uni (sea urchin) they had just gotten in, and he was 100% right.

I will remember those dishes. They were exceptional.

I want a memorable duck dish. A beautiful piece of True Dover sole. I want an elk steak. I would very much love to have a crown rack of lamb that is truly impressive. Please serve me a short rib I couldn't make at home myself.

Maybe some cassoulet or a choucroute?

How about just a shrimp I wouldn't use as bait?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Sure, I have been to three different Ruth's, and they're always pretty solid.

But it's a chain, and it's a lot like Roy's or Flemings...I like them fine, but it's never going to offer a unique meal, because it will always be the same every time you go.

I am hoping for a five or seven course meal with pairings where the chef surprises us with creativity while satisfying my hunger.

Don't get me wrong--if I want a $40 ribeye, I know where to go, and i'll enjoy it fine.

But I will forget it pretty quickly.

For example, at Joto the other night, I had Japanese mackerel (as opposed to the usual saba, Spanish mackerel), prepared three ways, and it was sublime. It wasn't on the menu, and the chef made it a point to recommend it and the special Grade A Japanese uni (sea urchin) they had just gotten in, and he was 100% right.

I will remember those dishes. They were exceptional.

I want a memorable duck dish. A beautiful piece of True Dover sole. I want an elk steak. I would very much love to have a crown rack of lamb that is truly impressive. Please serve me a short rib I couldn't make at home myself.

Maybe some cassoulet or a choucroute?

How about just a shrimp I wouldn't use as bait?
There is a new restaurant in Punta Gorda called Opus. It would be a drive for ya, but I have eaten there several times now, and it is great. You may have the 7 course meal you'd like. It is a bit pricy though.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Don't have any recs for that type of fine dining, but I totally agree about Chart House. That place is AWFUL, and sooooooo overpriced for the sorry food. I have heard great things about Beach Bistro. Also, have you tried Michael's on East? Haven't eaten there for decades, but I remember it being excellent.

Last night we tried for the first time an unassuming little place on Siesta called "Javier's". It's Peruvian and American, and OMG - it was fantastic! I can't wait to go back. Really great quality for everything and unique (at least to me) tastes. I highly recommend. As I said, it's not a big, fancy place, but quality and service were really excellent, and I'm a pretty picky person!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Don't have any recs for that type of fine dining, but I totally agree about Chart House. That place is AWFUL, and sooooooo overpriced for the sorry food. I have heard great things about Beach Bistro. Also, have you tried Michael's on East? Haven't eaten there for decades, but I remember it being excellent.

Last night we tried for the first time an unassuming little place on Siesta called "Javier's". It's Peruvian and American, and OMG - it was fantastic! I can't wait to go back. Really great quality for everything and unique (at least to me) tastes. I highly recommend. As I said, it's not a big, fancy place, but quality and service were really excellent, and I'm a pretty picky person!
There used to be a Chart House down near the harbor in Baltimore - which Rushmore probably used as a comparison when expecting something nice. There is another in Annapolis. Each time I went to either of them, I enjoyed my experiences. I don't understand when they have the opportunity to offer fantastic food - to the large number of tourists that come by - they don't hold the standards of food and service to very high levels. It is mind boggling, because if they did that - they could fill a restaurant everynight the size of Walmart!! But, they don't.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Wow! Sounds terrible. Seems as though they have pretty much stayed the same over the years. I haven't been there in a long time but I had almost the same experience there years ago.

Have you been to Euphemia Haye on Longboat? My ex used to be one of the chefs there and I've known the owners for years. The meals there are usually very good and the desserts are to die for

Old 07-31-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
There is a new restaurant in Punta Gorda called Opus. It would be a drive for ya, but I have eaten there several times now, and it is great. You may have the 7 course meal you'd like. It is a bit pricy though.
I will definitely try this when we can get away for a special evening out.

Of course, it's not a very good sign that virtually nothing on their website works properly (i.e the menu, the mailing list), but your recommendation outweighs these annoyances.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I will definitely try this when we can get away for a special evening out.

Of course, it's not a very good sign that virtually nothing on their website works properly (i.e the menu, the mailing list), but your recommendation outweighs these annoyances.
It will lighten your wallet some, but the food, wine, and service will not disappoint you. I know the kind of thing you like from reading your many posts.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Michael's On East looks intriguing. Worth a shot, thanks!

Javier's gets a big thumbs up from me, too. It's a very friendly, very interesting place, and the food is definitely worth the price, as it is both unique and satisfying.

We actually ate there the night my wife found out we were expecting, so I'll always think fondly of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area