Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times

Advertisements

We saw agapanthus flowers in San Diego earlier this summer on trip with our daughter and SIL who live in Nokomis--
she really liked the blue-purple flowers--
the info I saw said they grow ok in FL --especially if they were in containers--

does anyone know if it is ok to plant them any time--like now--
and has anyone seen any in nurseries in the Sarasota Venice area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:47 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,496,302 times
Plant in the spring. Takes 2-3 years to flower. They must be watered regularly in the summer and less in the winter. Tolerates neglect, poor soil, and salty coastal conditions. Prefers full sun. Another name for them: Lily of the Nile.

Where to buy: I would contact Hazeltine Nurseries on N. River Rd in Venice and ask if they have them or know where to get them. 941-485-1272
Sometimes nurseries can order a plant for you.

Their web site is: http://www.hazeltinenurseries.com/

Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
thanks very much--

Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 PM

70 posts, read 216,041 times
Welcome to Floridata has a lot of information about gardening in Florida. I bookmarked it in the hope that eventually I would have time to use that information, but it hasn't happened yet.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 AM

413 posts, read 823,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Plant in the spring. Takes 2-3 years to flower. They must be watered regularly in the summer and less in the winter. Tolerates neglect, poor soil, and salty coastal conditions. Prefers full sun. Another name for them: Lily of the Nile.

Where to buy: I would contact Hazeltine Nurseries on N. River Rd in Venice and ask if they have them or know where to get them. 941-485-1272
Sometimes nurseries can order a plant for you.

Their web site is: Hazeltine Nurseries | Landscape Design | Lawn Maintenance | Garden Center | Palm Trees For Sale

This link does not work for me.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM

547 posts, read 921,463 times
For what it's worth I highly recommend Albritton's nursery on Proctor Rd. Especially if you can chat up Robert Albritton. You would be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable person.

Home

Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
This link does not work for me.
I tried it right from the city-data site where I posted it and it works for me.

try www.hazeltinenurseries.com without the http and see if it works.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,679,402 times
i've had good success in the past using a mail order nursery called Spring Hill. They carry a lot of unique plants. Although most are smaller than what you would find in a regular nursery(they take longer to grow to a good size) they are hardy and have a guarantee.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
i've had good success in the past using a mail order nursery called Spring Hill. They carry a lot of unique plants. Although most are smaller than what you would find in a regular nursery(they take longer to grow to a good size) they are hardy and have a guarantee.
I used Spring Hill when I lived in NY. I had a huge garden on a hill and got all of my spring bulbs from them. They lasted for years and I was very happy with them.

Web site: Garden Plants at Spring Hill: Shrubs, Shade Plants, Bamboo Plants, Perennials, Lilac, Online Plants, Hydrangea, Wisteria, Butterfly Bush, Clematis, Phlox, Plants Buy, Garden Nursery

You can order a free catalog from them and they will keep you on the list to keep receiving the catalog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area