Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,916 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Harbor just got hammered by a small, concentrated, area of disturbed weather. I thought this might be a great opportunity to start a weather thread where we can talk about weather, post storm pics and even inform prospective new residents what our weather is really like.

What better day to kick this off, than this...the 7th anniversary of Hurricane Charley making landfall in SWFL.

Here's some radar images from tonights storm. The lightening show was impressive.

We also have 4 systems lined up in the Atlantic, just waiting to be adopted by some nice meteoroligist who will name name them. Currently, there are no threats for the US mainland or SWFL.
Attached Thumbnails
Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-81211.1.jpg   Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-81211.2.jpg   Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-81211.3.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,421,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Charlotte Harbor just got hammered by a small, concentrated, area of disturbed weather. I thought this might be a great opportunity to start a weather thread where we can talk about weather, post storm pics and even inform prospective new residents what our weather is really like.

What better day to kick this off, than this...the 7th anniversary of Hurricane Charley making landfall in S
WFL.

Here's some radar images from tonights storm. The lightening show was impressive.

We also have 4 systems lined up in the Atlantic, just waiting to be adopted by some nice meteoroligist who will name name them. Currently, there are no threats for the US mainland or SWFL.

Yes, pray tell ... what IS it really like. Were there, or are there, power outages do you know?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, pray tell ... what IS it really like. Were there, or are there, power outages do you know?
Despite all of the lightening, there were no power outages last night in our area of Port Charlotte. I also didn't see any news of outages this morning. It was just another routine summer downpour.

But again, this thread will be good for those living or staying here to report on power outages during the storm.

Below is a current radar image of an isolated cell working it's way north along the coast toward Venice. This is from 8:43 this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-charlotte_radar_web.jpg  

Last edited by Messing About; 08-13-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,421,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Despite all of the lightening, there were no power outages last night in our area of Port Charlotte. I also didn't see any news of outages this morning. It was just another routine summer downpour.

But again, this thread will be good for those living or staying here to report on power outages during the storm.

Below is a current radar image of an isolated cell working it's way north along the coast toward Venice. This is from 8:43 this morning.
Oh phooey... I'm leaving in about a half hour to go up to Bradenton from Lake Suzy ... should be fun on 75. One positive: it's a "free car wash day" and I love a good thunderstorm. Thank you for the info MA.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 AM

30 posts, read 96,160 times
I was awaken by that cell at 12:45am this morning, so was my son,(by the dog as she tried to crawl under the sheets with him). We did not lose power. We have just moved to Englewood from Cape Cod, MA, and I was well aware of the intensity of the weather, as my mom lives in St. Pete. I love a good thunder & lightening storm, obviously my poor dog does not. I think it's an excellent idea, about the weather thread.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,494,234 times
My previous dog was so afraid of the weather here in FL. He didn't even like the rain, let alone the thunderstorms and wind storms. Our new dog isn't afraid a bit. Although last night she actually barked a couple of times at the thunder, or actually she growled at it. We didn't lose power either, but it sure was windy. It blew some dead branches out of our oak trees, which was fine with me. It also blew over a couple of my flower pots. But nothing else out of the ordinary for thunderstorms here.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 1.5 inches of rain today, 2 inches yesterday. Grass is looking awesome!

So am I the only one, other than meteorologists, watching the system near the Lesser Antilles that may become Irene? The early computer models seem to all agree and that's a little scary. It could wind up breaking our post Charley peace treaty.

I decided it was time to buy a generator today and did so. I figure by the time a storm is confirmed to be coming here, the gen-sets would go quickly and I don't want to miss out. I bought one of only 3 in stock at Sams Club. It's a 7000 watt Honda and should be able to power everything (not at the same time) except our A/C.

Below is a photo our the current Charlotte County radar image and a picture of the current National Hurricane Center activity being tracked in the Atlantic. The system likely to become Irene is highlighted in red. It has a 90% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone in the next 48 hours. The system in orange is a low pressure system just off the African coast and headed west, with just a 30% chance of organizing in the next 48 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-charlotte_radar_web.jpg   Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-082011.gif  

Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,366,899 times
Irene is now a tropical storm. Current (very early) models have it possibly headed to the extreme southern tip of FL but early estimates have it still a tropical storm if it hits FL, with 65MPH winds.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Here are the latest spaghetti plots, tracking TS Irene.
Attached Thumbnails
Weather Thread:  Talk about and post pics of weather in SWFL-irene-2.gif  

Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,908,916 times
https://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_09.gif (broken link)

They moved it farther from us toward Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area