U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM

46 posts, read 114,555 times

Advertisements

Are there many noticable differences ( quaility of homes/upkeep of propertys) between Arlington Park and Southgate. I want to buy a small home and am curious what your thoughts or experiences with these neighborhoods are. Any input is useful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM

3,686 posts, read 5,337,249 times
Are you referring to the general area people refer to as South Gate or the actual subdivision of South Gate?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 PM

The general area.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,219,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy66 View Post
Are there many noticable differences ( quaility of homes/upkeep of propertys) between Arlington Park and Southgate. I want to buy a small home and am curious what your thoughts or experiences with these neighborhoods are. Any input is useful.
I don't live near either one of these areas, but I was able to pull some real estate information for you which will give you a little bit of information.

South Gate is situated in one of the older sections of Sarasota. Dating back to the 1960s, this established neighborhood is an ideal choice if you are looking for a community in which to settle down and love the retro look and feel. Many of the homes here are one-story, which makes them ideal if you would prefer to not have to worry about navigating stairs each and every day. Do not let the fact that this is an older neighborhood fool you; this community is extremely well maintained. In fact, it is rapidly becoming popular with families that are wealthy and who are looking for a settled neighborhood where they can purchase homes they can renovate to suit their own tastes.
One of the best benefits of South Gates it is that is provides extremely close proximity to the downtown area of Sarasota. This charming district is replete with excellent shopping and dining facilities. Whether you are looking for a casual café for brunch or something more upscale for an evening dinner, there is always something to suit your taste in the local area.

Arlington Park is close to Southside Village shops, restaurants, medical facilities, movie theatre, YMCA and nightlife. It is a desirable neighborhood which is close to Arlington Park and Aquatic Center. The park has a playground, gymnasium, locker rooms and pools. The park is owned and operated by Sarasota County Parks and Recreation. The median sales price of homes in Arlington Park was $110,000 from May to July 2011 based on 18 sales. The average listing price for homes in Arlington Park is $157,598.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Let me add a little more..... If you were choosing between the two and looking at a 20yr investment and were betting on which area would hold best, do you see one that is?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,649,983 times
South Gate.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM

The area near Arlington Park is known for it's many vintage cottages and close vicinity to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and downtown Sarasota. Some of the streets in the area are in flood zone A and would require flood insurance if you get a mortgage. Arlington Park is popular with nearby homeowners for it's pool & recreational acitivities as well as the picnic areas and winding sidewalks. Here's a link to the park's official site:
Recreation Centers

This area was very popular with home buyers during the boom real estate years of the early 2000's, with 2 bedroom bungalows going for almost $300,000 at one point. As the market went bust, many of those homes went into foreclosure, driving prices for those same 2 bedroom cottages below $80,000. Cash buyers snapped up a lot of those bargains, so you'll find many rentals in the area. Some are not as well maintained as they should be, it happens with rentals. This area is still popular with home buyers for it's diversity in architecture and tree lined streets.

What is commonly referred to as the South Gate area includes streets that are within the city of Sarasota limits and streets that are in Sarasota county. South Gate is also popular with buyers in our area for it's ranch style homes. Sarasota county taxes will tend to run slightly less. Some of these streets are on central sewer, others are still on septic tank. Some of the street fall within the Phillippi Creek septic tank replacement program area and homeowners will be required at some point to hook up to the county sewer system. You can view the area maps, hook up timelines, cost of hookups and complete information at the county's site:
PCS: HOME

There has been some controversy within the city limits this past year as a group known as CLUCK pushed for and got a city ordinance passed in January of 2011 to allow residents to keep up to 4 chickens on their property for personal use as long as there are no homeowner association rules that would conflict. I know someone who lives a couple of blocks from Arlington Park that has chickens residing 2 houses down - if you send me a DM I'll give more detailed feedback as to her opinion of the feathery neighbors. It's something to keep in mind when looking at homes that fall within the Sarasota city limits.

What other questions do you have about the area?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Ok you asked.... If I wanted to spend 130k-150k on a smaller ( 1,000-1400,sf ) home that is
" cute", somewhat near downtown ( 10 minutes or less ), is fairly safe, and hopefully in a stable neighborhood, where would you look? I don't want a mortgage, so I'm already ruling out anything over 150k. Arlington park homes have some good curb appeal, but there are several sketchy homes mixed in and that has an impact. Lastly.... Is there a neighborhood that I'm missing?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM

7,484 posts, read 20,882,128 times
Hyde Park is an idea. Most of those homes were built in the 1950's and are ranch style homes. It's located in the area just south of Webber St. They are listing for around $130k.

Loma Linda Park also has some charming homes in your range. It's in the same general vicinity as Arlington Park but closer to US 41.

I think you were on the right track with the South Gate area. It's a very popular area and homes in good condition and price right in South Gate tend to sell quick. Most of the homes were built in the 50's-70's. There are a handful of homes in South Gate in your price range.

If it were me I'd probably concentrate most of my efforts there. We've had a few bank owned properties in the South Gate area that went way under market value. In the last year there have been 17 bank owned homes that have sold in the South Gate area.

There have been 38 sales in the South Gate area in the last six months. The average list price was $145,155 and the average sales price was $139,614. Of the 38 sales 10 were bank owned, 8 were short sales and 19 were neither bank owned or short sales (regular sales).

Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Hyde Park, La Linda Terrace, Loma Linda Park, Rustic Lodge are all subdivision names within what is considered the general Arlington Park area. Some of those "neighborhoods" consist of just 2 or 3 streets.

No one can predict what will happen 20 years into the future, but based on past performance, you may want to search just a little further south into the street names such as Clematis, Wisteria, Datura, Goldenrod and south & east into South Gate streets such as Homosassa, Rosewood, Jefferson, Tulip, Tanglewood, Botony, Valencia and Key. Short sales and REOs do still pop up from time to time at reasonable prices, especially if you can handle doing a little TLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area