Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 PM

155 posts, read 1,050,957 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to obtain employment in Sarsota County Gov if skills are limited and is the job market tough in Sarasota,Venice Northport Area? Is it a fair assessment to say that unless you have a specialed professional degree like teacher, Pharmascist, Lawyer, Doctor, Nurse, Realtor, that it is hard to find decent employment and be only limited to low paying service jobs? Ex: Hotel, retail, Restaraunt etc.

What has been your experience with Florida employment and the wages?

Thanks for yor response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,365,237 times
I've never lived in Florida, but did a preliminary job search when we thought we would be relocating there. My advice is to forget it. They have so many semi-retired people there who are now having to work to pay for the increased prices, some semi-retired people who want to work, so many transplants, and so many illegals. I totally believe the warnings that some people had posted on here about the general employment in Fla. I did an online and a phone search and had hoped to be able to go down for interviews.

One supervisor made me feel so lowly that I finally abandoned my quest. They don't have to treat their employees with any respect because there's someone waiting right around the corner for the job. Some employers offer 6.75-7.50 per hour. They will only offer 15-20 hrs per week and if you "prove" yourself, in 6 months or a year they MAY be willing to offer you full time employment. Other places will offer you full time employment, but benies is another thing. I've learned that in several parts of the country, there's a waiting period for benies. I'm trying to understand what people do for health insurance inbetween time. If you're very lucky, you may get benies in 90 days, but many are 3 months, 6 months, etc. I realize that Fla. is a "right to work state", but so is my own state and it's like an entirely different world. It's not a good situation and I'd encourage anyone who would be doing general work to be sure you have secured full time employment plus live in an area where there would be other options if the one didn't work out. Just not sure how people can pay 700-800 a month for rent plus all the other expenses on the wages they're willing to pay.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,178,539 times
I have 9 years experience in my field. It just took me 5 and a half months to find a job that paid more than $8/hr. My search area was Manatee & Sarasota Counties.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
How hard is it to obtain employment in Sarsota County Gov if skills are limited and is the job market tough in Sarasota,Venice Northport Area? Is it a fair assessment to say that unless you have a specialed professional degree like teacher, Pharmascist, Lawyer, Doctor, Nurse, Realtor, that it is hard to find decent employment and be only limited to low paying service jobs? Ex: Hotel, retail, Restaraunt etc.

What has been your experience with Florida employment and the wages?

Thanks for yor response!
I remember your posts asking questions on this job market from awhile back. This is one of the worst areas of Florida to look for a job. We lived there for 17 years, my husband is a an architect with a 5 year degree and years of experience, yet he could NOT find a decent job anywhere in the area, instead ended up commuting to Tampa. It is a very sorry state of affairs for anyone having to work, and made even worse by the extremely overpriced cost of living down there. I agree with Jammie - you best forget it.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM

4,893 posts, read 14,104,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I remember your posts asking questions on this job market from awhile back. This is one of the worst areas of Florida to look for a job. We lived there for 17 years, my husband is a an architect with a 5 year degree and years of experience, yet he could NOT find a decent job anywhere in the area, instead ended up commuting to Tampa. It is a very sorry state of affairs for anyone having to work, and made even worse by the extremely overpriced cost of living down there. I agree with Jammie - you best forget it.
I do believe the cost of housing is the biggest problem with low wages added in.

I always wonder why people get all bent when people have been told forever that Florida pays in sunshine......and yes, it's hard to pay one two week paycheck for rent/mortgage...it basically means after your bills are paid with your other check, and if you're on your own, you're spending Friday night on the front lanai, if you're lucky enough to have one. A roommate, housemate, husband, wife, partner is a necessity of life here.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:20 PM

960 posts, read 1,679,232 times
Throw a dart on a map of the US and I'll guarantee 99% of the time you will land on a much better place the Sarasota/Manatee counties for "general employment" and quality of life (wages, cost of living, housing, insurance, etc.).

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM

174 posts, read 665,140 times
If it wasn't for the hiring for the "season" employment the unemployment rates would be a lot worse. Forget about finding a job from May to September. The pay for experienced people is horrible and not only are there limited jobs, but they care more about pay(low) as opposed to quality of employee and therefore they get what they paid for.
As for Gov jobs, usually you have to know someone with a gov job to get a gov job.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:38 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,457,223 times
If you are coming to Sarasota /Manatee looking for a county job, stay at home as they have been going through several rounds of layoffs

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 AM

84 posts, read 354,107 times
As much as I love the Sarasota lifestyle, I have to agree with most all of the above posts. I have been somewhat fortunate in that I have been gainfully employed, and making a fairly decent wage in my profession. However, as my handle indicates, the employment situation here is dreadful at best. (I work in a technology-related field).

I just returned from spending 10 days in Texas looking at other alternatives,...ya know,...'just in case". If and when my current job situation ever comes to an end, I do not at all feel comfortable that I could replace my current position and income in Sarasota.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM

4,893 posts, read 14,104,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
As much as I love the Sarasota lifestyle, I have to agree with most all of the above posts. I have been somewhat fortunate in that I have been gainfully employed, and making a fairly decent wage in my profession. However, as my handle indicates, the employment situation here is dreadful at best. (I work in a technology-related field).

I just returned from spending 10 days in Texas looking at other alternatives,...ya know,...'just in case". If and when my current job situation ever comes to an end, I do not at all feel comfortable that I could replace my current position and income in Sarasota.
HOWEVER, and a big however, I do love living on Palm. I can walk everywhere, I've got help w/rent/bills and I can't wait for "season" to start while I sit on the front porch and peoplewatch. There's always something going on downtown. We found the MJ tiki hut last friday & instantly knew why we loved living downtown even though we're broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area