U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

15 posts, read 55,316 times

Advertisements

Hi C-D Folks,
I haven't been checking the Sarasota area C-D for a while, but when I do, I enjoy all of the helpful and informative insight, experiences, advice, and suggestions. I purchased a 1948 brick fixer-upper house in the Indian Beach Sapphire Shores neighborhood. The floor base is concrete, and is now covered with carpet, which I am going to remove. Beneath the carpet appears to be cork, adhered to the concrete. Was that a common floor covering in FL? In the areas where I could see it, the cork seems to be old, dry, crumbly. I think I will remove it also.
So, my question is, what are some suggestions for different floor coverings that would be durable and appropriate over the concrete with the Sarasota temperature and humidity conditions? Maybe tile, terrazzo, concrete coating, wood laminate, etc.? How would installation, cost, and durability vary?
Any suggestions and sharing of positive and negative experiences is welcome.
Also, what is the current vibe regarding the status of the North Trail development? Any thoughts on the Walmart grocery moving in where Winn-Dixie was?
Thank you,
CNYJAKE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 35,849 times
If I were starting over with new floors, I would definitely prefer wood or wood laminate (with the proper underlayment). Tile is simply too hard on the feet/legs, esp. as you get older (over 50!). Also, for the younger parents, I would hate to have babies learning to walk on that hard tile surface. And anything that you drop is pretty much history! Don't really see any advantage to it. Plus, its always cold in the colder months.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 PM

46 posts, read 117,764 times
Floors are my profession ( 25 yrs). Depending on the look you want, check out Mannington Adura or Karndean. These are very applicable to concrete sub floors and can also be installed over plywood floors. They have tile and hardwood styles and are very durable. The will withstand flooding and can take a lot of punishment. The installed cost will range from $ 4.00 s/f to $ 7.00 s/f. The nice thing about them is that they look great, have a quieting effect and are very easy to replace/repair if ever needed. I'm not a retailer or trying to sell you anything, so if you have any questions, just direct mail me and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 PM

386 posts, read 945,892 times
JHMO but hardwood floors would be a great choice in a 1948 vintage home...

Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM

25 posts, read 53,201 times
I also love hardwood floors...can hardwood floors be installed on concrete slabs? I don't see alot of hardwood in Florida homes..

Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM

2,291 posts, read 5,409,277 times
I recently put Bamboo wood flooring in my home, loving it, rich looking and much warmer under the feet in winter than ceramic tile.

Previously I had carpet and ceramic, hated both. Also, several years ago, my dad put laminate in his home. In front of the slider, where the sun hits, the laminate has faded badly, went from light oak to leaf green, real ugly!

Wood flooring certainly would compliment your 1940's home.

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 AM

219 posts, read 639,657 times
Default Flooring

we put bamboo flooring in our master bedroom just make sure the adhesive is the moisture barrier type if your going to glue it down, it's much quieter then the free floating type

Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 AM

52 posts, read 129,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSU View Post
I also love hardwood floors...can hardwood floors be installed on concrete slabs? I don't see alot of hardwood in Florida homes..
Pre-Engineered hardwood flooring can be installed on concrete slabs.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 AM

16,297 posts, read 34,988,118 times
If you can go terrazzo, IMO, there is NOTHING better! We live in a 1954 rancher with terrazzo. Not only is it gorgeous, it is almost NO CARE! We had them refinished 3 years ago when we bought the place.

My opinion on wood floors is that while they are lovely, you have to take special care if installing on concrete, and they will require a whole lot more care. I really only like these in the raised foundation homes where you can actually have 100% hardwood, not engineered. Just personal choice though. Wood would actually be my LAST choice here. You got concrete underneath, wood won't make it any "softer." If you can't do terrazzo, I would go with a beautiful tile, there are lots of great ones to choose from out there.

As to N. Trail - I try to keep track of everything - I get emails from the North Trail Alliance, they have a great new website, here is the link:

North Trail Redevelopment Partnership | Tamiami Cultural District - Home

I think Walmart is on track, got approval but don't know when they start construction. Lots of stuff happening with the colleges, especially USF. By the way I live in Whitfield just north of you. I just love the north side of town, IMO it's the best part of this area!

Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM

52 posts, read 129,750 times
Agree on terrazzo, it is best by far! I have heard it is terribly expensive to install new, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area