Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:12 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times

Advertisements

I agree, a lot has to do with getting to know your neighbors. You'll find that some want to keep to themselves, but most just need someone to break the ice.

When we moved to our current neighborhood 6 years ago, I noticed one of my new neighbors across the street working on the roses in front of her home. I went over and said hello and asked about her flowers. We've been good neighbors and good friends ever since. I've met other neighbors in our community when out for our evening walks. Still others by attending the monthly HOA meetings. Going to the community pool (if you have one) may also be another way to meet your neighbors.

Do you have hobbies or sports you're interested in? My husband's into antique outboards and classic cars, and we've made friends within both of those circles.

You'll find a lot of opportunities to meet people in the winters here as every weekend offers local festivals and events.

Since many of us in FL are transplants from all over the country, you may find it easier to make friends here than you imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
i find the people here alot friendlier than up north. where we lived people drove into the garage and the door went down and thats the last anyone would see them. had a few people we would be friends with but on the whole most were pretty much recluses. when walking people would look straight ahead, cant make eye contact.

down here people walk and say hello, start up conversations. people passing in cars wave.

we do have one knuckle head that thinks because he has been here since 2002 he has senority and this is all his. we are just visitors. hes pretty much out there. he clips everything that grows in his yard for a hobby. all he needs is the lunar module and it would look like the moon.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM

46 posts, read 125,936 times
Thank you. Your input is helpful.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
you gotta realize that people work, people have church activities, children's sports, charity work, and not many people have time to chit chat across the fence. i think that went out in the eighties if not earlier.
you make the life you want to lead, with neighbors or orther organizations. there are countless organizations, charities, sports leagues, art groups and meetups to more than take up all your time and more; you just have to get out there a little.
being social did not go out in the 80s. (I wasn't even a grown up in the 80s! LOL) I moved here last summer and before moving always talked to my neighbors, over the fence or coming & going with the groceries or kids to school/activities/sports/etc.

I am active in the school here and my kids are involved in activities. I am always "out there". It's just different here in my specific community.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i find the people here alot friendlier than up north. where we lived people drove into the garage and the door went down and thats the last anyone would see them. had a few people we would be friends with but on the whole most were pretty much recluses. when walking people would look straight ahead, cant make eye contact.

down here people walk and say hello, start up conversations. people passing in cars wave.

we do have one knuckle head that thinks because he has been here since 2002 he has senority and this is all his. we are just visitors. hes pretty much out there. he clips everything that grows in his yard for a hobby. all he needs is the lunar module and it would look like the moon.

i agree that people are more outwardly friendly here. In NY everyone is more cynical and there is no eye contact (you lookin' at me?) But, just a side note folks, don't go to to NY and start smiling and looking people in the eye, that's just looking for trouble! LOL Anyway, everyplace is different. We always had kids playing outside, block parties, neighbor offering a burger over the fence when he's grilling, getting the block gossip over the other fence, you know...regular towny stuff.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I agree, a lot has to do with getting to know your neighbors. You'll find that some want to keep to themselves, but most just need someone to break the ice.

When we moved to our current neighborhood 6 years ago, I noticed one of my new neighbors across the street working on the roses in front of her home. I went over and said hello and asked about her flowers. We've been good neighbors and good friends ever since. I've met other neighbors in our community when out for our evening walks. Still others by attending the monthly HOA meetings. Going to the community pool (if you have one) may also be another way to meet your neighbors.

Do you have hobbies or sports you're interested in? My husband's into antique outboards and classic cars, and we've made friends within both of those circles.

You'll find a lot of opportunities to meet people in the winters here as every weekend offers local festivals and events.

Since many of us in FL are transplants from all over the country, you may find it easier to make friends here than you imagine.
that sounds nice I think i have less of a community feel partly due to being a renter.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 PM

182 posts, read 272,753 times
Hi. My answer is about folks who move to Sarasota, not lifelong residents. With a community that has so many transients, that is folks who moved there, a question is 'what type of person wants to pull up stakes, leave behind all their relatives, friends, the neighborhood they grew up in, and everything else, in order to start all over again?" The answer is, and this is a generalization to be sure---that type of persons tend to be very self-focused, put their own goals first, and want to create their own little world, away from family, friends, and their roots. CONSEQUENTLY, such people tend to socialize with others only on a surface, superficial level, and do not want close friendships with neighbors, co-workers, etc.. You will NOT find the close-knit small-town feel that you'd have in an Ohio farm community where your neighbors' grandparents went to grade school with your own grandparents, and your family came to Ohio in 1811, as mine did, and bought a farm to keep down through the generations. this is NOT meant as a 'criticism' of Sarasota, but you should be aware of the type of personality that will leave everything behind in order to relocate far away and create their own little world. Its not a criticism, just an observation. This also leads to something of an attitude that "Sarasota IS SPECIAL, IT IS Paradise....because I live there!" You don't find this type of rather arrogant conceit in, say, Cleveland...

Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM

24 posts, read 19,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
Hi. My answer is about folks who move to Sarasota, not lifelong residents. With a community that has so many transients, that is folks who moved there, a question is 'what type of person wants to pull up stakes, leave behind all their relatives, friends, the neighborhood they grew up in, and everything else, in order to start all over again?" The answer is, and this is a generalization to be sure---that type of persons tend to be very self-focused, put their own goals first, and want to create their own little world, away from family, friends, and their roots. CONSEQUENTLY, such people tend to socialize with others only on a surface, superficial level, and do not want close friendships with neighbors, co-workers, etc.. You will NOT find the close-knit small-town feel that you'd have in an Ohio farm community where your neighbors' grandparents went to grade school with your own grandparents, and your family came to Ohio in 1811, as mine did, and bought a farm to keep down through the generations. this is NOT meant as a 'criticism' of Sarasota, but you should be aware of the type of personality that will leave everything behind in order to relocate far away and create their own little world. Its not a criticism, just an observation. This also leads to something of an attitude that "Sarasota IS SPECIAL, IT IS Paradise....because I live there!" You don't find this type of rather arrogant conceit in, say, Cleveland...
ROFLO One of my family members has posted again.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
We have been here on Palmer Ranch for 18 months, and I already have several golf buddies, and we get along very well with our neighbors, even having them over for beers, etc. In fact, I just spoke to my neighbor Jerry not an hour ago.

And I am not a particularly outgoing guy.

I would say that I consider Sarasota one of the friendliest places I have ever lived, really.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
I don't understand why you continue to post on every single thread here how awful Sarasota is and how wonderful Cleveland is. WELL, FINE!! STAY IN CLEVELAND! GO POST ON THE CLEVELAND BOARD! SHEESH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area