Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM

46 posts, read 125,440 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this in preparation for the "Big move". I've been in the area several times, but always doing the tourist thing. So, from those of you with a few years of life in Sarasota, would you consider it to be a welcoming area where people get together( bar-b-ques, parties, gatherings, develop friendships) or would you say it's more of a private society. Where I live, unless it is an organized event ( concerts, sports etc...) everyone seems to hide in their homes and seem almost afraid of contact. I'd really appreciate your thoughts and will sort the good and bad for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,623,286 times
It really depends where you live!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM

46 posts, read 125,440 times
Typical family neighborhood

Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy66 View Post
Typical family neighborhood
I'd agree with Peter to a certain extent. It depends on the area/community.

I have three girls, one who just started college in Sarasota this year. A middle schooler and one in elementary. I would say, for the most part, people are pretty friendly and there's lots to do.

Since I home school my younger two I have to set limits on the amount of activities they are allowed to do in a week. I have people/friends emailing and calling every day wanting to go to the beach, museums and other various activities around town.

I really can't compare it to "up north" or other areas since I was born and raised in the Sarasota area myself

Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 PM

24 posts, read 19,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy66 View Post
I'm asking this in preparation for the "Big move". I've been in the area several times, but always doing the tourist thing. So, from those of you with a few years of life in Sarasota, would you consider it to be a welcoming area where people get together( bar-b-ques, parties, gatherings, develop friendships) or would you say it's more of a private society. Where I live, unless it is an organized event ( concerts, sports etc...) everyone seems to hide in their homes and seem almost afraid of contact. I'd really appreciate your thoughts and will sort the good and bad for myself.
I hope & pray you haven't bought yet. For someone like you it should be mandatory that you come down here enough, to get a feel for the friendliness or unfriendliness. Good Luck !

Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 PM

17,462 posts, read 38,864,396 times
It really does depend where you live, and also on your own personality. Where I currently live, neighbors are friendly but give you your "space" which is how I like it. There is a good mix of all kinds of folks in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, and overall I find it a very nice, friendly welcoming place.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM

879 posts, read 1,945,283 times
my area is kind of a ghost town, no neighborhood feeling but we are renting and don't really know if we will find that here. Hope so we've been here a year and have made some connections but it's not like block parties and talking to the neighbor over the fence.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,679,402 times
you gotta realize that people work, people have church activities, children's sports, charity work, and not many people have time to chit chat across the fence. i think that went out in the eighties if not earlier.
you make the life you want to lead, with neighbors or orther organizations. there are countless organizations, charities, sports leagues, art groups and meetups to more than take up all your time and more; you just have to get out there a little.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 PM

477 posts, read 983,453 times
We've lived in a few different neighborhoods in Ohio before here and it is the same in some ways. After living here a year, I am starting to make friends in the neighborhood and at the school. It takes me longer and it always has since I'm not the one to "make the first move". Everyone seems very friendly so far.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,495,284 times
My daughter in law lives in Sarasota and has never been able to make friends. She is in her 30's. She rarely talks to any neighbors. They pretty much stick to themselves. She used to live in North Port and found it much more friendly. I used to live in North Port and got to know everyone in my neighborhood and we did have block parties. We went out to dinner, played cards and did a lot of social activities with neighbors.

I since have moved to Port Charlotte and once again, I have made friends with my neighbors. We talk to each other, get together for dinners, watch each others dogs and look out for each others houses if we go away on vacation. We take out our next door neighbors garbage every week because they are elderly. I still keep in touch with my old neighbors from North Port and we still have dinners and play cards and we get together every year for New Year's Eve.

I think a lot has to do with taking the time to get to know your neighbors. Say hello. Wave at them. It was easy for us to get to know everyone because we walk our dog morning and evening. We stop and talk if someone is outside.

I know a lot of people do stick to themselves and have busy lives. Not every neighborhood is going to be friendly. If you can't make friends with your neighbors, you may want to join a group or club. We joined the Corvettes of Charlotte County and do lots of social activities with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area