Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 11,431 times

Advertisements

I have been searching the forums, and none contain ALL of my criteria, so pls forgive me if you think I am posting redundant questions.

I am 54 years old, semi-retired and have a pension of about 90K a year. For work and pleasure, I was always going to the Naples/Ft. Myers Beach/Sanibel area as well as the keys...so I am familiar with the area there. I have a friend and a brother in the Cape Coral area (which I do not like)(the area, not my brother ) I have visited Sarasota twice, and found it pleasant (as I did in West Palm Beach).

I have an interest in sailing, and am hoping to buy a home in the 300-400K range with gulf access. I am single, have no problem with dating, and am very diversified. I climb, bike,..well..a lot of activities. I live in a unique area of Minneapolis now, that feels like Seattle or Portland (without the mountains). I, like most of you, are tired of the cold. My questions are, is there a fun bunch of "younger" 50's people there, are there good homes near water in that price range? Will I live fairly good on that pension? Are there better areas? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:55 PM

24 posts, read 19,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisermplsnative View Post
I have been searching the forums, and none contain ALL of my criteria, so pls forgive me if you think I am posting redundant questions.

I am 54 years old, semi-retired and have a pension of about 90K a year. For work and pleasure, I was always going to the Naples/Ft. Myers Beach/Sanibel area as well as the keys...so I am familiar with the area there. I have a friend and a brother in the Cape Coral area (which I do not like)(the area, not my brother ) I have visited Sarasota twice, and found it pleasant (as I did in West Palm Beach).

I have an interest in sailing, and am hoping to buy a home in the 300-400K range with gulf access. I am single, have no problem with dating, and am very diversified. I climb, bike,..well..a lot of activities. I live in a unique area of Minneapolis now, that feels like Seattle or Portland (without the mountains). I, like most of you, are tired of the cold. My questions are, is there a fun bunch of "younger" 50's people there, are there good homes near water in that price range? Will I live fairly good on that pension? Are there better areas? Thank you!
Humm is the $90,000 before taxes or after? If you don't have the ability to figure out a budget on your own and know your tax consequences you may want to see an accountant. Even if it is taxable I would think it is plenty but no one knows your lifestyle, how much you spend dating.

All of that being said hustle over to datewidows.com etal and find a lonely woman with a lot of bucks and you won't have to worry about $90K being enough.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
You may want to look into Punta Gorda. It is just north of Cape Coral and you would be closer to your friend and brother. Punta Gorda is a great city for sailing with Gulf access. Punta Gorda has single family homes, townhomes and condos. The city has been transformed since hurricane Charley in 2004. The population is 14,512 (est 2010) and the median age is 59.5. There are a lot of clubs and social events in Punta Gorda to join. Punta Gorda also has some parks such as Laishley Park and Gilchrest Park that offer a wide variety of activities throughout the year.

The city has a charming and historic waterfront with restaurants and shops. Sailing, boating and fishing are also major attractions. The harbor leads out into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. It has clean air, 129 square miles of sparkling water, sunshine, and a sub-tropical climate. The crime rate is low and it offers great values on waterfront properties.

Punta Gorda has some waterfront communities such as Punta Gorda Isles and Pirate Harbor and it has golf communities such as Seminole Lakes and Burnt Store Marina.

Punta Gorda Isles is an expansive upscale waterfront community situated in Punta Gorda, Florida. Offering close proximity to both US41 and I-75, this community is convenient to all of the amenities and services of the local area as well as Naples and Fort Myers. Dredged in 1957 to create a stunning maze of saltwater canals, Punta Gorda Isles now offers prospective buyers with excellent real estate opportunities. The canals here are 100 feet wide and 12 feet deep. The canals and seawalls are maintained by the city of Punta Gorda. Featuring charming Spanish tile roofs, this community is primarily a golfing and boating country club neighborhood. The strong local homeowner’s association helps to maintain value in this lovely neighborhood.

Here is a link to the City of Punta Gorda: http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/

Here is a link to the Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce: http://puntagordachamber.com/

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Just wanted to add that I shouldnt have mentioned my dating life...just to say I was active and not married, single income of 90k before taxes, and I enjoy a cosmopolitan life, which I heard was more abundant in Sarasota..thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Sarasota is quite cosmopolitan. Lots of active clubs, boating, swimming and restaurants.

In todays market you should be able to find a home in your price range with water access. I really don't see why you cannot enjoy a wonderful life on 90K a year.

Search out the Meetup clubs in the area, I belong to the Sarasota Walking Meetup club, lots of nice members, age 40's, 50's & 60's.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Dollydo has some good advice. The actual city of Sarasota is only about 60,000 people but because the county is urban all the way from the beaches east past I75, the actual area feels like a much larger city. Sarasota is a contemporary city that offers dinner theaters, the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, ballet, symphony, jazz, art galleries and restaurants of every type and price range.

You will find properties with boat access in your price range from the Osprey area all the way to Longboat Key and Anna Maria island.

As to 50 somethings in the Sarasota area, you'll find a lot of us baby boomers living here.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I think Ft Myers or Bonita Beach or Naples or Sarasota would be good for you.

Punta Gorda would be way too laid back for you, IMO. Lots of older, more relaxed folks in Charlotte county, which includes Punta Gorda.

You will do fine with your pension in any of those areas.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Just curious, what didn't you like about Cape Coral? My cousins rented on Anna Maria for a season, but preferred Cape Coral and have rented there for years now. Don't know why they liked it better, so I was interested in hearing your impressions. I am partial to Sarasota-Bradenton because I think Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key are so special.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
J I am partial to Sarasota-Bradenton because I think Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key are so special.
What she said^^^^!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Default Thanks all

Thanks to all of you. Looking back on the post, I think I should say that I know I am very fortunate in these times to have this kind of income at my age. But...without coming out and saying it, I dont know how else I would have gotten honest responses. A lot of posts are from people on much lower incomes looking for real bargains and that didn't fit my parameters.

To the poster re Cape Coral: My brother lives in the northern area, and I found it too rural. It is not my idea of "Florida". Without the occasional palm tree to throw me off, it looked like Kansas. The southern part I found to be too strip malley, seedy and worn. Now, I have been to Tarpon Pointe and I like the gulf access and the condos there (although I am not a condo person). I have inquired about the condos twice and the realtors have given me spotty answers...leading me to believe the whole complex is in trouble.

I spent a month last Winter renting houses on Ft. Myers Beach. I came away with a poor opinion of the place to live. To visit? Yes. Anyway, thanks again everyone! Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area