Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:56 PM

53 posts, read 142,978 times

Advertisements

We are looking to close on a home. There has been one leak repaired in the slab recently. I am concerned about the cost of future care. Does anyone know the cost of replacing the plumbing in a house? It was build in the late 60s and is block on a slab with copper piping. Does anyone know of a really great plumber who is affordable or who could give us an estimate or do an affordable inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Oh - it is in Sarasota

Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM

219 posts, read 676,997 times
Default pin holes

find a plumber that does the manabloc system it cost a few dollars more and you don't have to worry about connections coming loose we had this done in venice 2 years ago it was about 5000.00 for a 2700 sq ft home with a seperate cabana room. get prices from at least 3 plumbers. stay away from county plumbers

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
find a plumber that does the manabloc system it cost a few dollars more and you don't have to worry about connections coming loose we had this done in venice 2 years ago it was about 5000.00 for a 2700 sq ft home with a seperate cabana room. get prices from at least 3 plumbers. stay away from county plumbers

Excellent advice! The piping work will be in polybutelyene, and will all be run overhead and fished through the walls with minimal cutting and patching. The only problem is that it will probably be run in the attic (whhich is hot) so it will take a bit longer to run the cold water before it cools down. Make sure they throw extra insulation over it and that will help, and it will help cut down on the condensation from the pipes as well. This system is a lot less expensive than running new copper, which will also require a lot of drywall removal and replacement. It saves, time, work and $$.

Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
You can check if there is a leak by looking at your water meter. Water meters have a leak detector. There is a 1/4" circle. If the circle is solid blue, no leaks. If the circle is spinning, leak. To detect if it's a toilet or pipe leak, turn the valves off on the toilets. If the circle stops spinning, you just saved yourself thousands of dollars. Replace the valve assembly in the toilet tank.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful advice! Is the sound loud when the pipes run up in the attic? Since there was one leak already, I am concerned about more. We plan to put in tile and I don't want to have to rip up anything that we do to the home if a leak starts. Does one leak recently on a home this old mean there will likely be more soon? If anyone does know of a plumber in Sarasota or close, please DM me. The house is on well water. I have heard the pump come on when no water was running, but there is a leaky toilet. Buying a new home is just not so fun when we have a great home with no issues at all back near Gainesville...but, being close to the beach makes up for it all I suppose. Thanks 41Mag - this house is the same size and has a cabana too, so I really appreciate your input! These forums have been incredibly helpful!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:03 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
We re-piped our 28 year old Port Charlotte home earlier this year after a slab leak in our laundry room. We used The Plumbing Doctor II and have been extremely pleased with the response, work, quality and price. They also did some minor work for my next door neighbor. We re-piped overhead with CPVC. For a 1340 sqft house it cost $3200, exactly what he bid it at. I tried to get him down to 3k and he said it was bid so tightly, there was no further room for discounting. I believed him. All I had to do was paint the repaired drywall in two spots.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:35 AM

219 posts, read 676,997 times
Default Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by candacew View Post
Thanks for all of the helpful advice! Is the sound loud when the pipes run up in the attic? Since there was one leak already, I am concerned about more. We plan to put in tile and I don't want to have to rip up anything that we do to the home if a leak starts. Does one leak recently on a home this old mean there will likely be more soon? If anyone does know of a plumber in Sarasota or close, please DM me. The house is on well water. I have heard the pump come on when no water was running, but there is a leaky toilet. Buying a new home is just not so fun when we have a great home with no issues at all back near Gainesville...but, being close to the beach makes up for it all I suppose. Thanks 41Mag - this house is the same size and has a cabana too, so I really appreciate your input! These forums have been incredibly helpful!
NO, never heard any noises,they secure them to the rafters and cover with insulation

Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 PM

338 posts, read 1,012,200 times
We recently had our 1968 house in Venice replumbed by Mike Douglas Plumbing. They did good work and a new water heater was included in the price.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
We recently had our 1968 house in Venice replumbed by Mike Douglas Plumbing. They did good work and a new water heater was included in the price.
I'll have to keep him in mind. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area