Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times

Advertisements

Anybody familiar with them?
I see many of their boats on the Bayfront, and am wondering if it is something I might want to join. As I walk around, I often wish I was out on a boat, not just walking across the Ringling Bridge. At this point, I don't know anyone with a boat (Fairly new to Sarasota, and live in a high rise), so I can't invite myself out on the water.

SO How's this Club work? Do they do training? Have "snowbird" memberships?
I've only been on a small boat a couple of times, and would certainly need boating lessons. However, my S.O grew up on a sailboat on Long Island Sound, so she's got experience. I'd let her pilot the boat while I just enjoy being on the water. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Let me Google that for you

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Do yourself a favor and take a course at the Sarasota Power Squadron. Many people think there's nothing more to boating than just turning the key and heading off but there's more to it than that and "the more" can be the difference between a nce day on the water and a terrible one. It's fun and you'll feel much more confident as a boater.

The Sarasota Power Squadron - Home

Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
DEFINITELY take boating lessons if you plan on driving! Too many IDIOTS out there who move down, get a boat and think there are no rules on the water. It's very dangerous and I see it every single time I go out.
The boat clubs can be a good idea since there is no expensive maint required on your part. Of course you have to pay for fuel, prop if you damage it, and you have to be back before dark. The monthly fees can be as high as a boat payment, but again, no added maint and insurance expenses. Sometimes you have to schedule way in advance. Rarely can you just decide the night before that you would like to go boating the next day. So, flexibility is a concern unless they have LOTS of boats available. Not for me, but it fits many people just fine.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
That's what I'm trying to find out - availability, ease of reservations, etc. Hoping for someone with actual experience with them. Of course, their salesman tell you everything is smooth, always available, etc.

I wouldn't think of driving the boat without proper training first.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
didnt a poster on here a while ago get dumped with a huge repair bill ? read the small print for sure

Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Friends of ours in North Port were members for one year out of the club at Laishley Marina in Punta Gorda (I think it was Freedom). They had a terrible time reserving on holiday weekends (even 2 or 3 months in advance). Normal weekends were generally not a problem, but they rarely got the deck boat that they liked. One time out with us, they got called back to the marina (22 miles from where we were all anchored) because of a storm cell moving toward Punta Gorda. They explained that we were at safe anchor many miles from that storm and that leaving and driving towards the storm would be much more dangerous. The manager from the boat club disagreed and demanded that they return. That was the last straw and they quit their membership.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM

18 posts, read 34,517 times
Default Freedom Boat Club now ?

I've been told that Freedom Boat Club did some improvements in their reservation system recently to avert the problems described in the last note. Is anyone willing to talk about their experiences in recent months ?

This might be useful information for the boat club managers and prospective members.

thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Anybody familiar with them?
I see many of their boats on the Bayfront, and am wondering if it is something I might want to join. As I walk around, I often wish I was out on a boat, not just walking across the Ringling Bridge. At this point, I don't know anyone with a boat (Fairly new to Sarasota, and live in a high rise), so I can't invite myself out on the water.

SO How's this Club work? Do they do training? Have "snowbird" memberships?
I've only been on a small boat a couple of times, and would certainly need boating lessons. However, my S.O grew up on a sailboat on Long Island Sound, so she's got experience. I'd let her pilot the boat while I just enjoy being on the water. :-)

Freedom Boat Club

Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I've got a ton of experience with boats. I used to deliver boats for Beneteau and my husband and I have owned Grady Whites for years.

That said, I think we are going the Freedom Boat Club this round. We just don't have the time or energy for boat ownership this time around. We've done the math and it's actually cheaper for us to join FBC.

Since we are both in the restaurant business, rarely will we be reserving a boat for the weekends or on a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area