Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 80,258 times

Advertisements

I have been making a few posts here as I get ready to move, so I do want to first thank everyone for their help so far (especially Racelady88)

I read one of the posts here about internet providers in the area which listed Brighthouse and Verizon (I don't think Comcast is available in Bradenton ). Anyways. I have checked those company websites but can only find information about bundle packages. I have emailed them my questions, but no response yet My next move is to call them. But I thought I might ask here first.

Is it possible to get internet only? I'm going to be volunteering, so my budget is extremely tight. So tight that I can't really afford $99 a month for phone + internet. I can get by without tv and without a home phone...but I am pretty sure I need internet

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphina22 View Post
I have been making a few posts here as I get ready to move, so I do want to first thank everyone for their help so far (especially Racelady88)

I read one of the posts here about internet providers in the area which listed Brighthouse and Verizon (I don't think Comcast is available in Bradenton ). Anyways. I have checked those company websites but can only find information about bundle packages. I have emailed them my questions, but no response yet My next move is to call them. But I thought I might ask here first.

Is it possible to get internet only? I'm going to be volunteering, so my budget is extremely tight. So tight that I can't really afford $99 a month for phone + internet. I can get by without tv and without a home phone...but I am pretty sure I need internet

Any ideas?
Thanks.
I have a "dry loop" (DSL without a phone) with Verizon for $20 a month. I'm not sure if it's still an option, but it's worth a try.

Verizon | High Speed Internet | Check Availability (http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/HighSpeedInternet/CheckByAddress/CheckByAddress - broken link)

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphina22 View Post

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Comcast is in Sarasota County and Bright House in Manatee. My parents have internet only with Bright House.

I have FIOS internet only on a business account, and FIOS TV only on a residential account (both at my house). I don't have phone with Verizon at all, so you should be able to get internet only.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I have internet only from Brighthouse.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:33 PM

15 posts, read 80,258 times
Awesome Thanks guys ~ $20 a month is perfect. Hopefully I can wrangle something similar.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Expect to pay through the nose for internet, alone, through the cable company. I use to work for Comcast.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,131 times
I live in Sarasota and my area is ONLY served by comcast. I want out. I was on an Internet promotion at 30$ a month, but after six months it doubles to 60$. I refuse to pay that for just Internet.
I've looked into Verizon, Att and some wireless Internet but no one services my area. That rased my eyebrows and stated asking questions to these providers. It turns out that they bid on areas which forces some community's to use only comcast for example. It blows. I've been waiting three years for Verizon to feed my area. And now I dont think their going to do this until they have my area.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieofawe View Post
I live in Sarasota and my area is ONLY served by comcast. I want out. I was on an Internet promotion at 30$ a month, but after six months it doubles to 60$. I refuse to pay that for just Internet.
I've looked into Verizon, Att and some wireless Internet but no one services my area. That rased my eyebrows and stated asking questions to these providers. It turns out that they bid on areas which forces some community's to use only comcast for example. It blows. I've been waiting three years for Verizon to feed my area. And now I dont think their going to do this until they have my area.
I found some providers and, although the service seems cheaper when you see the ads, it really isn't. I called AT&T, since I have their cell phone service, and the amount of time I'd get with their low cost specials is for people who occasionally check emails, but not for everyday internet surfing. You get the best deals when you buy a complete package (cable, internet, phone) After the promotional period ends, you're usually hit with a big increase. I think that's the case with anything. I rent a storage unit and had a 6 month special rate and it doubled.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I found some providers and, although the service seems cheaper when you see the ads, it really isn't. I called AT&T, since I have their cell phone service, and the amount of time I'd get with their low cost specials is for people who occasionally check emails, but not for everyday internet surfing. You get the best deals when you buy a complete package (cable, internet, phone) After the promotional period ends, you're usually hit with a big increase. I think that's the case with anything. I rent a storage unit and had a 6 month special rate and it doubled.

My friend lives in another part of town and has had Verizon Internet for over a year and it is only 30$ a month. I want this. It's to bad I live where I do. I hate Not being able to choose my provider

Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Not sure if the original poster is on a laptop or desktop computer.
Myself, I'll never own another desktop.

Anyway, when I'm away on business travel I use a 4G/3G wireless broadband card from Sprint. My company gets it for $40 a month, unlimited use.

My Dad (79) lives in the mountains of Northern Arizona and there's no DSL service available to him. He's also a laptop guy. He uses a Verizon broadband card, unlimited use for $50 a month. He loves being able to take it on the road with him in the motor home.

Finally, if data storage is not real important to you...I'd consider buying an iPad with WiFi and broadband use. I want one real bad but it's not in my budget just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area