Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 AM

571 posts, read 790,963 times

Advertisements

Maybe take a couple officers off of the "sitting at Pastry Art drinking coffee and eating pastries beat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
Next time you see them, question them, after all they work for us. Maybe, just maybe they are doing their job, and maybe it's a walking beat on Main Street.
They get to know businesses, their owners and do community policing. Ask Pastry Art if they are wanted or not. Did you ever stop to think they could be on lunch break patronizing a local business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Maybe take a couple officers off of the "sitting at Pastry Art drinking coffee and eating pastries beat".

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 19,603 times
Picshooter you are defensive on some of these posts like a fly on poop. What is your connection to the police officer(s) Family member or????

Like any other business there is a significant percentage of the officers that are lazy and just putting in their tiem.

When ever I see several officers in a donut or bagel shop I hope they are off duty. Multiple officers on break at the same time can't be good because large areas are unprotected.

Like with private industries costs have gotten prohibitive an employees need to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
The City of Sarasota is quietly threatening to replace Police Officer Pensions to one with a much lesser value.
I am asking that City residents and guests show their support for the Sarasota Police Department by E Mailing or calling the City Commissioners as well as the City Manager.

If the new deal comes to fruition, we will see a exodus of quality officers, and their replacements will certainly be of a lesser quality.
And no offense to our neighbors, Sarasota is a special place. There is a reason the crime rate is lower than our neighbors.

Please E Mail or call to show your support. Thank you.

Inside City Government

Mayor Suzanne Atwell: Suzanne.Atwell@sarasotagov.com

Vice Mayor Terry Turner: Terry.Turner@sarasotagov.com

Commissioner Paul Carigiulo: Paul.Caragiulo@sarasotagov.com

Commissioner Willie Shaw: Willie.Shaw@sarasotagov.com

Commissioner Shannon Snyder: Shannon.Snyder@sarasotagov.com

City Manager Robert Bartolotta: robert.bartolotta@sarasotagov.com

Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Yes, my son. It had been his dream to be a police officer since he was a teenager.He financed himself through the academy. It was a 12 months long schedule from 5 to 10pm. He did this while maintaining a full time day job, supporting his wife and kids. He graduated at the top of his class in Academics, Marksmanship, and Driving skills. With perfect attendance too.
After a polygraph to get in the academy he took another before he was hired. followed with a BPAD, oral board and detailed back round check and physche
testing. So am I proud? You bet. He is in one of the difficult zones,and loves his career. He really likes helping people. When he was sworn he signed an agreement with the city. Now they want to change it.
I agree that there probably are some less aggressive officers. They are human and do need to eat. Whenever they take a lunch / break it's called in on the radio and logged.
I have no problem with the city offering new recruits the new deal, but current officers should get what they agreed to.
BTW my son has no idea I post here.Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwithstupid View Post
Picshooter you are defensive on some of these posts like a fly on poop. What is your connection to the police officer(s) Family member or????

Like any other business there is a significant percentage of the officers that are lazy and just putting in their tiem.

When ever I see several officers in a donut or bagel shop I hope they are off duty. Multiple officers on break at the same time can't be good because large areas are unprotected.

Like with private industries costs have gotten prohibitive an employees need to participate.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,174 times
Default Missing the point

At the end of the day this has very little to do with the police pension and their cost. Our city has been mismanaged and we are under federal investigation as a result. Our city manager's computer has also been confiscated due to allegations that he was “scrubbing emails”. It is my opinion that due to all the fraud that has been committed he is desperately trying to cover the losses by stealing from the police pension. How about cleaning up the corruption and accounting for the missing 6.5+ million (There are estimates that this will be as high as 11 million) before making decisions to cut from the police which will affect our safety.That is all because we have a terrible city manager. He has a history of trying to destroy the police departments. "Over the past half-year, police officers have criticized Bartolotta for offering what they say is a new pension plan that does not give them enough benefits." Does this sound familiar? [URL]http://savannahnow.com/stories/100500/LOCbartolotta.shtml[/URL] Here is an article about him from Jupiter. "Bartolotta, who became town manager in November, was asked by the council to conduct his review shortly after he was hired." [URL]http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2001-03-03/news/0103030223_1_police-officer-internal-police-westgate[/URL] This guy has a history of attacking police. He also has a history of resigning from a city once there is an investigation. More on this piece of $@#%. [URL]http://thefloridamasochist.blogspot.com/2007/06/robert-bartolotta.html[/URL] We need to demand that our commissioners fire him. Do you really think it is coincidence that our city is now under investigation? One of them specifically targets Bartolotta.

Last edited by Radio1; 10-18-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM

8,265 posts, read 4,666,091 times
I would be more inclined to support the police if they didn't have policies that give favoritism to city workers (when they are stopped by police). Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and equally - which apparently isn't the case with the Sarasota police:

LYONS: Prostitute encounter raises questions | HeraldTribune.com

"The reference was to a report on the incident which references an apparent Sarasota Police policy that directs officers to call their supervisor if they encounter, for instance, a crime suspect who works for the city."

Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,174 times
The city manage has de-policed the department to the point that they are scared to do anything without his approval. You really need to read about this guy’s history and the bad news he brings anywhere he goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I would be more inclined to support the police if they didn't have policies that give favoritism to city workers (when they are stopped by police). Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and equally - which apparently isn't the case with the Sarasota police:

[URL="http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20111017/COLUMNIST/111019592/0/BREAKING?p=1&tc=pg"]LYONS: Prostitute encounter raises questions | HeraldTribune.com[/URL]

"The reference was to a report on the incident which references an apparent Sarasota Police policy that directs officers to call their supervisor if they encounter, for instance, a crime suspect who works for the city."

Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 PM

That policy came from the City Manager, not the Police Dept. If you are a city resident or even if you are not, e mail the commissioners and let them know how you feel and insist the policy be fixed. I heard a rumor that some sanitation workers have been arrested recently, so it's not across the board.
Furthermore the employee in question should still be in a probationary period.Call or e mail the commissioners and ask why he still has a job. He is supposed to be a role model for the kids in Newtown.
Personally I believe the vice officers. They know their job and have the tape from the gas station. There was not enough for an arrest to stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

LYONS: Prostitute encounter raises questions | HeraldTribune.com

Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
Support these thugs in blue.. Lol.. I don't think so.. No other city in our area has police that treat the people the way sarasota police do. They lie, assault, Bribe, and make cases against people on chumped up charges, I have gone to the point of adding video cameras in my car so that I have proof, for example I have been pulled over 3 times for no seat belt, when I was in fact wearing my seat belt I was also harassed by them one of the "cops" wouldn't even give me his badge number. They have attitude when you are polite & respectful to them, I have never in my life been disrespected by an officer of the law until I moved here in 96 These cops are "Thugs" and have the attitude they can treat people how ever they feel without fear of being reprimanded There needs to be an enormous change before I support and I am not alone!! My colleagues & I are in the process dedicated to exposing these so called police.. This is our way of protecting ourselves and people that are sick and tired they are in place to protect and serve not harass

Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
I heard, on tonights news, police were called 3x to a Siesta Key snack bar and watched as two drunks got in their car, drove down Midnight Pass and killed a young woman jogger. Witnesses state the police were called because these men were very drunk and causing problems. It was 1:00 PM, broad daylight. Cops kept telling the drunks to leave the premises. Witnesses state the men sat on the hood of their car drinking from a bottle of Gin while the cops watched. One got behind the wheel and drove off killing the young woman.

People at the snack bar were shocked the cops stood there and let those men drive away. The response from the police department was the cops did not have the legal right to take their keys away or force them to call a cab.

What kind of laws does Florida have? This sort of thing should not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area